jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What is your favorite mythological story?

1. ishwaryaa22 profile image91
    ishwaryaa22posted 5 years ago

What is your favorite mythological story?

Greek mythology, Roman mythology, Japanese mythology, Hindu mythology and many more... folktales, ancient myths, legends and all.

2. Swetankraj profile image69
    Swetankrajposted 5 years ago

The Mahabharata is my all time favorite. As i am being taught since childhood! I respect my religious and all others too. I also love to read and explore different mythological stories and facts. From few months i am reading and exploring Greek mythology. Soon thinking it to complete!

3. Tommy.G profile image60
    Tommy.Gposted 5 years ago

My favorite is the story of Icarus. Icarus was imprisoned with his father, Deadalus, who was an extremely skilled craftsman. His father built him a set of wings from feathers and wax, and warned his son of the danger he would face if he flew to near the sun. Icarus fled from imprisonment, but failed to adhere to his fathers warning and fell to his death in the sea. The story makes you think of lofty ambitions and not yielding to the warning signs left by those wiser and more experienced than yourself.

4. parwatisingari profile image61
    parwatisingariposted 5 years ago

To me all mythologies are great, it is deciphering the myths that is more fun.

5. anthonydeleon profile image71
    anthonydeleonposted 5 years ago

My favorite mythological story is "How the Half Boys Came to Be," a Kiowa story about the creation of the Monster Slayer twins.  They begin as one child, the son of a human maid and the Sun.  The woman leaves the sky world because she misses her home, and the Sun kills her with his hoop.  The child runs away and finds the tent of Grandmother Spider, who warns the boy not to throw the hoop into the air.  When he does, the hoop splits him into the two half boys, and Grandmother Spider knows they can no longer remain at home.  The story ends with them setting out together on a journey to conquer their enemies.  Native American Twin Hero stories have always fascinated me, even before my twin nephews were born.  The twins are partners, supporting one another with their respective powers and wisdom.  It's interesting to compare this (and my other favorite, the Mayan Popol Vuh) with the European "Twin [or Two] Brothers," recorded by the Brothers Grimm and others.  These brothers attempt to support one another until jealousy interferes, followed by remorse and reunion.  Even as Native Americans feared twins in real life, they honored the idea of duality, whether because of complementarity or doubling/companionship.  Some theories posit hero twins to be personifications of the sun and the moon.

6. JamesGrantSmith profile image58
    JamesGrantSmithposted 4 years ago

My favorite is probably Greek mythological but Roman is good too. Not going to lie i have not read Japanese mythology so that could be better than the other two and i just wouldn't know tongue

working