jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Which books sell more, ebooks or paperbacks?

1. Joyette  Fabien profile image88
    Joyette Fabienposted 5 years ago

Which books sell more, ebooks or paperbacks?

2. Mittalmailbox profile image69
    Mittalmailboxposted 5 years ago

Till now Printed books are more sold, but with growing Tablets , Smartphones and E-Readers E-Books will outsold Paperbacks soon.

Joyette Fabienposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. I started off publishing my books as paperbacks then converting to ebook, now I am doing the reverse. So I believe I am on the right track then!

3. JenPaxton profile image84
    JenPaxtonposted 5 years ago

From what I can tell, working at a bookstore, it really depends.  More than anything, it depends on price, however.... I see more and more people each day come in with their e-readers.

I think for right now, people are still on paper but gradually moving over - I've heard I'm not the only one who does this, but I have a nook simple touch, but the person I live with doesn't, so rather than us each buying the same book (since she won't use my e-reader), I end up reading more paperbacks anyways because we're always trading.

Personally I love the feel of a paper book in my hand, but I will concede that the ebook is so much more convenient when you are moving about.

4. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 5 years ago

Like you I just recently published my book. It's dealing with relationships. At any rate I decided to make it available both in print and on Kindle as I published through Amazon's CreateSpace. So far I have sold several more print books than I have the ebook version. I suspect the majority of people still enjoy turning pages, underlining/highlighting, or using bookmarkers.
    However I suspect in the future that will change. Newspaper subscriptions are falling every year and it's primarily due to folks being able read about news events online in (real time). An eBook can be downloaded in less than a minute. There is no standing in line to make a purchase or waiting days to have a book delivered. Historically technology/hardware prices come down overtime. (A computer or laptop today costs a lot less than it did 10 or 15 years ago). A lot of cell phones are practically given away if one is willing to sign a 2 year contract. As the prices for hardware come down more and more people will buy iPads, Kindles, and Nooks...etc Very often eBooks are sold at fraction of the price that printed books would be sold. Some cell phones allow the downloading of music, books, and movies as well which will create a bigger market for ebooks.

Joyette Fabienposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I am with CreateSpace too. My sales on both the paperback and the eBook are about the same for now, but I agree that the eBooks will soon take over.

5. Jonathan Grimes profile image74
    Jonathan Grimesposted 5 years ago

Working for a publisher the traditional paperback is now being outsold as an ebook. More illustrative content is taking a while to catch up.

Thanks Jonathan. I guess this is the way to go now!

working