jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Can anyone tell me where to start with trying to publish a novel?

1. shamani67 profile image59
    shamani67posted 5 years ago

Can anyone tell me where to start with trying to publish a novel?

I have no idea where to start - so anyone with any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. DDE profile image25
    DDEposted 5 years ago

In my opinion I would try createspace or Amazon kindle publishing free publishing

3. Eunice Stuhlhofer profile image60
    Eunice Stuhlhoferposted 5 years ago

If you've not yet done some editing, please have someone else edit your work. Then decide if you want traditional publishing or self publishing. Each has its own rules and 'headaches' but there's enough literature online about the two ways. If you choose to self publish as I did, I would suggest checking out on Lulu.com or Createspace. All traditional publishers that I contacted rejected my book, so I chose lulu, and I have had reasonably good experience with them. It is good to explore publishers who work with genres in which your story belongs, that is if you go for traditional publishing.

Best wishes with your project.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 5 years ago

Most, if not all, traditional publishers/editors/agents will tell you that before you do anything, make sure your story is complete and polished. If you're only on your first or second draft, focus on revisions before attempting any sort of publication. If your manuscript is ready, then I highly recommend the 2012 Guide to Literary Agents (Or whatever year is newest). Not only is it a great reference for building query letters and learning about the industry, it also has a section in the back dedicated to agents who are looking for each specific genre. Another good resource is author J. A. Konrath's website. He has a free book you can download that is all about the writing process and getting published. I don't personally recommend self publishing, because it instantly locks your book out of libraries and retail book stores, but I do acknowledge that traditional publishing is harder to get into.