Is anyone out there trying to publish their book the old fashioned way?

1. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 5 years ago

Is anyone out there trying to publish their book the old fashioned way?

All I hear now-a-days is that writers are self publishing. In some cases they aren't even considering traditional publishing as an option. Agents (and publishers) claim to get thousands of submissions each month, so who out there is still submitting (other than myself)? Also, if you are trying to go the traditional route, how do you handle the rejections and the overly-selective people on the other side?

2. neildabb profile image74
    neildabbposted 5 years ago

Yes!  A member of my writers group will be published next summer by a major publishing house.  I have approached major publishers as well, but much of what I currently write is a nitch better suited to self publishing (see my book at )  The trick is keep trying and don't give up.

I recently met with a publisher ( ) who made it clear they reject projects not people.  A project may not be right for a publisher when you send it to them, but that doesn't mean that it is not right for the next publisher you'll send it to.  KEEP TRYING!

And while you're waiting, start writing that next book.

3. lovebuglena profile image87
    lovebuglenaposted 5 years ago

It doesn't matter if you publish the traditional way or the 'self-publishing' way. Your book can do well out there regardless of which way it's published. The downside is that when 'self-publishing' the marketing falls upon the author and could mean spending a lot of your own money... I've self-published my books but I stay away from telling people I self-published them because when people hear a book has been self-published they stay away from it, which is not right since a self-published book is not necessarily a crappy one.