jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

What reading level is harry potter?

1. scoop profile image84
    scoopposted 5 years ago

What reading level is harry potter?

2. HLKeeley profile image84
    HLKeeleyposted 5 years ago

the first book is definitely for middle school students. JK Rowling's writing advanced as her readers matured, a very smart move. I cannot read the first book anymore because it is too simple, but the last four books I can enjoy for a second read.

I think she also wrote adult versions of the book. Something to look into.

If you have never read Harry Potter, you need to read in order because EVERYTHING ties together at the end.

3. mariexotoni profile image94
    mariexotoniposted 5 years ago

I think kids in my school were reading it when they were in third to fourth grade

4. Brandon Martin profile image77
    Brandon Martinposted 5 years ago

The Harry Potter series is definitely aimed to each age group, however, the earliest books were aimed toward the young adolescents. As the series progresses it comes to be more for the young adults, as in the series, the readers were meant to relate with the characters in the series through events that occurred just as in everyday life.

5. Username Amanda profile image60
    Username Amandaposted 5 years ago

My son read it in third grade. So I think that would be the lowest (age 8) and I enjoyed at twenty three. In my opinion it is ageless. And epic. I did enjoy The Chronicals of Narnia a bit more, however Harry Potter is a close second.

6. John Sarkis profile image84
    John Sarkisposted 5 years ago

My only contact with Harry Potter is a Spanish translated version that my Mother reads...she reads it on airplane trips whenever I take her to the east coast to visit relatives there...Spanish version is probably middle school or so...relative to the original English series, I guess?

7. jadesmg profile image90
    jadesmgposted 5 years ago

I'd say up to 11 or 12 years. I was roughly that age in the midst of the hype and quite quickly began to find them a little too young for me to read. I never really understood adults reading it as I found it to be clearly written for people younger than me when i was 12/13.

1. jadesmg profile image90
      jadesmgposted 5 years agoin reply to this

- although they may be a little long towards the end for children this age, so it's a little confusing.

working