jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Convince me I should read any of the Harry Potter books. Oh, and welcome! ;)

1. lorlie6 profile image83
    lorlie6posted 6 years ago

Convince me I should read any of the Harry Potter books.  Oh, and welcome! wink

2. szts77 profile image59
    szts77posted 6 years ago

You should give any book a chance - especially one that is so well-known amongst all sorts of people. Have you watched any of the movies? Maybe that could convince you. Although personally, I began with the books.

3. lukegoldstein profile image61
    lukegoldsteinposted 6 years ago

Like szts77 says, I began with the books as well. Once I saw in the trades that the first movie was well into production, I could tell it was going to something big. The books were already huge and changing the ways kids were even thinking about reading, so being a junkie for all things pop culture I went out and bought all the Potter books that were out by that point. It only took me about a week to read the first four, so the time commitment isn't really high.

As for why you should read them, i'm not going to jump in the deep end of the Potter fanatics and say J.K. Rowling is one of the best authors i've ever read, but there is something simple, pure and reminiscent of childhood fantasy in this series. Harry Potter is a charmingly flawed character that you instantly feel the need to route for (even after you realize he gets himself into more trouble than anyone else and usually needs his friend to bail him out).

For me, charming would be the best way to describe the books. Whenever I finished one of them, I always had a soft smile on my face and I felt my time (what little of it I needed to actually read it) was not badly spent.

4. hazelbrown profile image93
    hazelbrownposted 6 years ago

Because they are AMAZING!!!!!!!  You can disappear into a magical world and it completely relieves all of your stress.  I LOVE these books.  They are also very well-written.  You will find yourself re-reading them for years to come.

5. Austinstar profile image88
    Austinstarposted 6 years ago

Like I told my husband (who never reads), just read the first sentence of the first book. The story will convince you to keep reading.
    He did and found he could not put the book down. The series is one of the most compelling stories ever. It is magical.

6. MartieCoetser profile image90
    MartieCoetserposted 6 years ago

Lorli, I love reading, but the Fantasy genre (like the Harry Potter series) is not my favorite. I prefer to read true dramas about real events/issues, biographies and historical romance.