jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Am I the only woman who didn't like 50 Shades of Grey?

1. KarlawithaK profile image67
    KarlawithaKposted 5 years ago

Am I the only woman who didn't like 50 Shades of Grey?

I read the first book, and barely made it through. Between the constant references to how "hot" Grey is and the overuse of the word "clamber," I became annoyed about half way through. I will give the author credit though, she wrote a character most of us would love to step into. A struggling, unsure, twenty-something year old, who is also not incredibly attractive. Who among us hasn't felt that way? Of course the idea of a gorgeous, rich man that "rescues" us sounds great. Ok, enough of my rant. The sex scenes are great and the only reason I made it through the first book.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image84
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

I do not know smile I have absolutely no desire to read it at all.

3. M. T. Dremer profile image97
    M. T. Dremerposted 5 years ago

I think there is a formula, or hypothesis, out there that can properly explain why books like Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey are popular. Something like "Harry Potter Generation + hormones + romance - deep writing = profit". I remember telling anyone who would listen that Edward Cullen is the Fabio of this generation. It's the same romance formula, it's just ballooned into a giant population that follows new books with little rhyme or reason. Every once and a while they hit on something genuinely good (like the Hunger Games) but for the most part, this movement is so fast and senseless that trying to figure it out makes ones head hurt.

KarlawithaKposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't agree more! I loved the Hunger Games trilogy and hated when people compared it to Twilight. There definitely seems to be a formula for profit at work.

4. Ms Chievous profile image79
    Ms Chievousposted 5 years ago

I am only halfway through the book.  I find the Grey character a little disturbing.  Maybe it's because I work in mental health! I don't know how my 20 year old self would act (if  Mr. Grey was real and was after me, how not plausible!) but I think my forty something year old self would have to get a restraining order!  not only is he stalking her but he is grooming her for his escapades. No amount of money or good looks  can excuse his controlling behavior.  But I have to remember this is just a character in a book, even though there are probably many men like him in the world.   i will finish this book to see if it gets any better, but most likely not read the rest of the series.

Considering your profession, I am sure it's hard to NOT analyze his character! I'm sure feminists have a field day with this book, for a variety of reasons. It's interesting to think about how we would've handled that situation then vs now.

5. eleanor-says profile image60
    eleanor-saysposted 5 years ago

is it worth reading? I'm curious but i hate books that are badly written. It just makes you feel embarrassed for the writer. Also is it full of stereotypes; like the perfect male you describe; rich and gorgeous. I wrote a hub; 50 shades of grey - to read or not to read explaining my dilemma; let me know what you think i should do.

It's hard to know if it's worth your time. I've read books that were far from literary masterpieces because of the entertainment factor. It's easy to follow, and reminds me of a chick lit meets romance novel. My advice is to borrow it, don't buy. smile

working