Why does the 50 Shades of Grey Trilogy have such an overwhelming, mass appeal?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)
  1. SEXYLADYDEE profile image63
    SEXYLADYDEEposted 11 years ago

Why does the 50 Shades of Grey Trilogy have such an overwhelming, mass appeal?

I am a book LOVER who lives to read.  I have read great literature and I have read trash. These books fall somewhere in the middle. But I must admit I loved them on a number of levels. The author let me get inside the story, inside the characters and I wanted to know what was coming next. Was is the taboo nature of it all that appealed to the masses? Or are we a world full of subconscious subs and Doms?

2. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 11 years ago

50 Shades of Grey has so much appeal because people are actually reading it as opposed to letting it sit on the shelf of a bookstore for a few months until it gets pulled and pulped. I've read it and I honestly don't think it's any better or worse than any other book out there. The reason people read it and are interested is because the New York Times decided to hype it up so much. The rest of the media generally takes its cues from the NYT and so the book received a ton of publicity. People bought it and read it and were amazed that a book could be so good. The truth is, MOST books are good. It's just that most people don't know that because they don't read much. I think the sexual aspect of the book is appealing in the same way a novel about a vacation to Vienne would be appealing. Some avid readers might be more interested in that subject than other avid readers. That is simply the book's subject and I think the general theme was largely lifted from D.H. Lawrence's Lady Chatterley's Lover--a more cerebral and better-written book in my opinion. But then, I haven't read the whole trilogy.

SEXYLADYDEEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Great response. I also thought it had notes of a movie I saw as a child about a man molding a young girl into his vision. I didn't read it because it was on the NYT not did most I have spoken to. I am researching a hub on underground cultures.

3. M. T. Dremer profile image85
    M. T. Dremerposted 11 years ago

My first girlfriend in high school introduced me to the Harry Potter series. I would frequently discuss the things I liked most about the magical world, but when I asked her what kept her reading, she said it was the potential romance between Ron and Hermione. Similarly, when I read the Hunger Games, I struggled to understand how the Peeta Vs Gail argument seemed to get attention over the brutal nature of the story. When you look at the books traditionally sold in department stores, and the largest sections at the library, there is a running theme; romance. It consumes such a large portion of the literary market, that it's a risk to write a book without it. Fifty shades of grey is the wrong book at the right time. Harry Potter created a massive generation of readers, most of which are women. Now that they're getting older, they're searching for new books to read. Add on top of this a generation of men raised by feminists who are neither domineering nor particularly romantic, and you've got a recipe for romance starved masses. So far, I haven't been able to figure out the logic of book choices though. Harry Potter and the Hunger Games seem to have their romantic elements emphasized by the readers more so than their respectable authors, where as Twilight and Fifty Shades of Grey are all romance, but the writing is atrocious. It's like a Hollywood director turning out an Oscar worthy movie one year and a direct-to-dvd stinker the next. You can't predict which will come next or why it's happening that way. Other than the romantic elements, I haven't figured out a pattern yet. But, I am certain that this trend of specific books catapulted to the mass market will continue for many years to come.

SEXYLADYDEEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Romance sells is an understatement. I read the Hunger trilogy before going to see the movie. I, like a lot of women were attracted to the strong female lead. Not so much the romance. Maybe there is no pattern.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)