jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

How often do writers publish books?

1. Virginia Lea profile image80
    Virginia Leaposted 5 years ago

How often do writers publish books?

Ok so I really really love writing and so I got this crazy idea to try to become an author. I just put my first book on amazon. I already have MANY ideas for several other books and they are all just flowing in my head like a rushing waterfall or a busy bee hive. I feel like I am obsessed because I am always on my computer! I am writing my second book almost halfway through the formatted version and I am writing the outline for two other book ideas I have! AT THE SAME TIME! Are normal people usually this obsessed!?

2. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 5 years ago

It depends largely on the writer. Someone like Nora Roberts can churn out several books a year while a writer like Harper Lee only ever wrote one book in her career. (At least, I'm pretty sure To Kill A Mockingbird was her only book). I know that, when I was first getting into novel writing, I had a million ideas, to the point that I've restricted myself from writing anything new because I have such a large backlog of books to be written. In my early days I had rough drafts for at least seven novels. But I knew that if I wanted to be serious as an author, I would have to crack down and actually focus on one. This meant peers reading my work and a rather lengthy editing process. But it was all worth it as I now have a polished manuscript making the rounds to agents and publishers. So, in answer to your question, I do think it's normal to be obsessed and it's great to see writers who love their craft. But I do think it's important, for serious authors, to prioritize their work so that the best possible product gets released to readers.

3. Jen Johnson profile image61
    Jen Johnsonposted 5 years ago

It sounds to me like you're on a roll!

How often you publish depends entirely on you if you're self-publishing. Though self-publishing also often means that books are un-edited and covers may or may not look professional, there have been a number of writers who have made their impact through self-publishing. Just look at Amanda Hocking!

If you're into it, then keep going. The more you write, the better a writer you become, and the more attention you'll be receiving from readers if your books catch on.

The most important thing for a writer to do is write... so keep it up!

1. Virginia Lea profile image80
      Virginia Leaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you! Yes the covers are not that professional and I found a couple typos when it was too late sad but like you said, the more I write the better I will become. smile