How to publish books?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)
  1. G Miah profile image77
    G Miahposted 14 years ago

I would like some info on how to publish an interesting story in a book. How much could it cost? Is it very difficult to publish books? Which publishers are good?

Please let me know, thanks.

2. Gale Force profile image61
    Gale Forceposted 14 years ago

The cost of publishing a book - yourself - depends entirely on how many pages it is, and if you want it to be hardback or paperback.  Do you want it to be Pay on Demand (POD) or do you want to have an actual print run of 500 to 1000 copies.

Typically, the more books you order, the less they cost.

You can publish books on Kindle Amazon for free, but you are limited to Kindle customers. I've published a couple of books there with absolutely no success. However, they were non-fiction books. I think fiction books would do better.

A big "vanity" press is lulu.com.  Check them out.

3. worldlifesite profile image60
    worldlifesiteposted 14 years ago

I self published with Amazon's CreateSpace.com

I got a free ISBN and international equivalent.  Once my book copy is approved after editing I get a CreateSpace sales page and listed on Amazon automatically.

One reason I chose them over others such as Lulu was the legal contract gives you more control over your works and derivatives of your works. 

I'm on google books and was pleasantly surpised that I'm at Barns and noble with out having to do anything to get there.  I think Google Books did that unless they pick up books from Amazon's lists.

CreateSpace.com also offer a community of great helpers from start to finish(marketing) and they offer professional services for book creation and sale at lower prices than most.

Check them out at CreateSpace.com

You can still get a free Pro level account which basically allows you author pricing to be very low per paper back copy.  They also do digital works.

4. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image87
    AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 14 years ago

Before rushing to self-publish, study the subject.  It's now relatively easy to self-publish through a number of online sites but do consider that publishing and promotion need to go hand-in-hand.

If you wish, you can read one of my Hubs on the pitfalls of self-publishing which will save you a lot of work.

Go into any book shop and look around.  How many self-published books do you see?  None, or virtually none.  That in itself should go a long way to demonstrating just how effective self-publishing really is.

5. G Miah profile image77
    G Miahposted 14 years ago

Thank you all for your much appreciated advice on this topic. I am in the process of researching publishing a book, and you have given me more avenues to go down.

Thank you.

6. profile image0
    JeffEmmersonposted 13 years ago

Check out Lightning Source....Indie Publishing is the future.

Go get 'em!

- Jeff Emmerson

7. kookoo88 profile image60
    kookoo88posted 13 years ago

I also recommend Smashwords.  Self publishing for Indie Authors is the new wave and it's a fun ride. smile

Smashwords takes your work and puts it into a lot of different formats then distributes it to stores like Barnes & Noble, Apple, Sony, and soon, Amazon.  They also have a good marketing guide. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)