jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What was your best book signing experience? What did you like and what did you n

1. Tina Glasneck profile image67
    Tina Glasneckposted 5 years ago

What was your best book signing experience? What did you like and what did you not like?

I will be hosting my first book signing/discussion for my book, THOU SHALL NOT, and am interested in making it an interactive experience. I'm thinking of discussing a topic and then seguing into the themes of my book. What has made a book signing for you memorable? What did you like about your last book signing? What did you not like? Any great tips you want to share?

2. SidKemp profile image95
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

From a few of my own book signings, I would say that anything you can do in advance to get to know your audience makes it more fun and more valuable for everyone. You might use Facebook and the Internet to collect questions your readers have, then prepare your talk answering their questions, maybe even in a Q&A format.

3. drmiddlebrook profile image94
    drmiddlebrookposted 5 years ago

All the book signing events I've attended have been great experiences. One was memorable because I met the President of a university in Texas, and he was helpful in me getting a part-time job at the local campus of his school. I didn't teach long there because I was slowly leaving the teaching profession, but I will always remember that I made that connection at a book signing event!

4. Jenna Kunc profile image60
    Jenna Kuncposted 5 years ago

I've only been to one book signing, but I loved it. The author told us about himself, told funny stories of failed stories of his, and really engaged with the audience during the Q&A. Also, I was one of the first in line to get my book signed, so I got a few minutes to talk with him. It was only one stop on a long tour of his, but he seemed really happy to be there.

5. Storytellersrus profile image78
    Storytellersrusposted 5 years ago

My best book signing was with the Tenth Mountain Division in Watertown, New York.  I wrote a children's book titled, "The Truth About Trooper", fictionalizing the Ski Trooper's experience on Riva Ridge during World War 2. 

The response overwhelmed me to the point where i simply could not sell the books to these men- the heroes in my story. 

So... I gave away my books instead!  All of them.  I made zero dollars.  Lost money. 

But what a thrill it was to actually meet these men, who had given so much for our country.

I miss my dear friend Pete Clark to this day.  He arranged the book signing for me and encouraged me to attend their last major reunion.  He was a lovely man.

(I do not recommend such behavior if you wish to turn your writing into a business!)