jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

To be a good writer, What amount of vocabularies are essential? What role does i

1. myownlife profile image40
    myownlifeposted 5 years ago

To be a good writer, What amount of vocabularies are essential? What role does it  play on writings?

I am very much limited in vocabulary, one of the reasons could be my limited studies too.

2. dndswordsmith profile image73
    dndswordsmithposted 5 years ago

I feel that having a collegiate vocabulary isn't essential at all for the purpose of being a good writer. Because the diversity of your readers will be so wide and broad, the vocab used as long as it's not a lot of "slang" will be understood. Don't get me wrong, keep a dictionary and thesaurus near, you will need them. Once you start engaging more in reading books, novels, articles etc. your vocab will grow. You could also consider taking a writing course. Hope that helps you.

myownlifeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

@dndswordsmith, yes I totally agree as readers may be far better than writers, they are readers since they enjoy it.
      yes, I am thinking of taking writing course let's see.
      Thank you so much for advice

3. Pamela99 profile image88
    Pamela99posted 5 years ago

I agree with dndswordsmith. I also think it is important to be able to write using clear wording to express your ideas in sentences, with good spelling and proper punctuation. When you are reading and come across a word you don't know, pick up the dictionary and look it up. That will help your vocabulary improve over time.

myownlifeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

@pamela99, Thanks  a lot for  suggesting, so kind of yours,
      Cheers

working