What/who is your inspiration for writing?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)
  1. badegg profile image81
    badeggposted 11 years ago

What/who is your inspiration for writing?

As a younger person, I was inspired by Twain, but as I grew older and my tastes matured, I have found that William Faulkner has such a unique style, as if the page were his canvas, and he was artistically painting it with his words.

2. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 11 years ago

That is a hard question, and the simple answer is I don't know.

I guess the best answer is life--I see things, hear things, think about things that turn into thoughts, concepts, arguments and ideas and a write about them. I have some favorite authors, John Steinbeck, Mark Twain, Harper Lee and a few others, but I do not follow their style, and I have not written a book. I go for the short story, the essay, the column or the letter.

To give the philosophical answer, I guess I would say my inspiration comes from everywhere. I see a story in a newspaper. I read a Hub. I hear a conversation. Some thought just comes to mind, and that turns into something written. Some are still private, not sure who I was writing to or for. Others works are published for here, some in another no-pay but great exposure publication and a couple of paying jobs--nothing to get excited about.

There are tools I have developed, such as listening and remembering past events that affect my writing, but defining the source of inspiration, will probably remain an elusive task for a very long time.

3. RobinGrosswirth23 profile image61
    RobinGrosswirth23posted 11 years ago

MMM, there have been so many inspirations on my journey as a writer: Bentley, family, Joseph Campbell, Sir Ken Robinson, Maxine Greene, Susan Linn, John Dewey, Paulo Freire, Robin S. Sharma, William Bridges, Thoreau, Sylvia Plath, Nora Ephron, Yeats, Frost, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Kahil Gibran, ad infinitum..... There are so many more.

Two favorite authors from children's books: Peter Reynolds who wrote, "The Dot" and "The North Star." And, Patricia Polacco who is a prolific storyteller, love her books.

I read to be inspired. Or, having a delightful experience lends itself to generative writing.

4. avorodisa profile image80
    avorodisaposted 11 years ago

Anything can be an inspiration for me. The world is so full of small and big miracles. Nature suggests a lot of ideas. Ancient teachings like Feng Shui, astrology, Runes, yoga, customs and traditions, and legends are really inspiring. Another huge source of inspiration is children. Artistic paintings and off-beat films are very suggestive, too.

5. tonie2weeks profile image61
    tonie2weeksposted 11 years ago

this is hands down... Edgar Allen Poe... Ann Rice is also an inspiration....

6. JamesGrantSmith profile image58
    JamesGrantSmithposted 10 years ago

I am my own inspiration, If i do the things i need to do every day then i will be amazing.

If i need extra motivation and inspiration, then it has got to be Eric Thomas, his videos pump he up and inspire me to write, to do what needs to be done.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)