Book suggestions request

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (27 posts)
  1. sunforged profile image69
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

After tonight I want to take a short writing vacation, i really, really want a new book.

but since Im an ebay seller/buyer and i live a block away from a huge used book store, literally every author I like, I have tracked down every book they own and read them all.

I need something new, an author I dont know about. I want lighter reading, a novel of some sort.

So my favorite authors that best reflect what I enjoy:

Kurt Vonnegut
    Herman Hesse
    John Irving
    Chuck Pahliunuk
    James Clavelle
    Jonathan Safran Foer
    Paolo Coelho
    Tom Robbins
    Neil gaiman
    Milan kundera

So considering that list, do you enjoy any of those authors and can think of someone related I might be able to find tonight at either a local bookstore or a borders?

oh yeah, asimov, piers anthony, heinlein and dan brown are also already well covered for light reading

any thoughts? Ive proven to be genuinely incapable of just browsing around and finding a gem

1. gunsock profile image74
      gunsockposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi sunforged

I see you have John Irving in your list - so I know you have great taste! 'A Prayer For Owen Meanie' by him is just a wonderful book, both sad and funny at the same time. The scene where little Owen has to play the role of baby Jesus in the Nativity play is laugh-out-loud funny.

Have you read 'Life of Pi' by Yann Martel? If not try it. It takes some getting into but its well worth it.

Or maybe one of Haruki Murakami's novels - 'The Wind-up Bird Chronicle' is particularly good.

One more - 'The Story of Lucy Gault' by William Trevor, is very moving and tender.

Hope you find something you like.

sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

now, im excited.

youve referenced Irving and "life of pi" , ill be on the lookout for both those books, thank you!

2. wrenfrost56 profile image56
        wrenfrost56posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Life of pi, I'de second that, what a great suggestion. I loved that book. smile

thirded - i own 3 copies and i give them away whenever possible

2. Arthur Fontes profile image73
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

Victor Hugo Les Miserables  I just finished the book and really enjoyed it.

3. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

William Peter Blatty who wrote the Exorcist has a new book - Dimiter. I'm reading it now. Verrrrry creepy and very good.

Im putting it on my list of authors to check out, lol, but..whats kind of a uniting thread with my favorite authors is humor (robbins),absurdity (vonnegut) or a positive message (coelho). The exorxist scares me, not sure if it will be the light or positive contemplative mood im looking for.

i dont know how to pigeonhole hesse or kundera, but they are truly amazing.

but Nelle, as i think I have commented on one of your hubs, I have actually read most all of the vampire series you have reviewed so my tastes get around, but i only picked those books up because my girlfriend left them lying around, Im wishing for a author like those I referenced... like, hmm "Life of pi"

i know a very scatter brained response sad Its hard to describe something I dont even know exists yet

4. sunforged profile image69

that is a great suggestion and right down my alley, but its been read and re-read, as have most classics from aesop to virgil, im searching for something from this century, even this decade...someone I may have never heard of or is not so well known.

1. Arthur Fontes profile image73
      Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How about the "Sword of Truth" series by Terry Goodkind.

The show "Legend of the Seeker" is based on these books.

Im unfamiliar with the show, but I have heard of the book series, I will take your suggestion. thank you, bet ill have a chance at the big used store near my house on those

2. TheGlassSpider profile image63
      TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How about Dave Eggars' A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius? I loved it. And apparently he's become quite famous since he published it.

5. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Among Thieves by David Hosp is an intriquing who dun it based on the true story of the Gardener Robbery in Boston. Great thriller. Hosp is a local attorney and the book is based on lots of inside info and research.

6. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 14 years ago

Maybe take a spin on mystery and crime with two stellar women authors...Nevada Barr and Janet Evanovich.

I guarantee that you will laugh our arse off reading Evanovich's Stephanie Plum novels and want to know more about history, geology, ecology, and crime with the Barr books.

For sure, these are lighter works, maybe a change of pace from Vonnegut, Hesse, Irving, and the others.  Sometimes it's good to escape.

7. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

Have you read any of James Patterson's books? I think he's absolutely brilliant and have read loads of his. He wrote a lot of police crime thrillers but his Maximum Ride series are amazing! They're about children that are half-bird/half-human. Oh I think he might still be a cop in those books too, can't remember.

8. sunforged profile image69

thanks for the suggestions, thank you very much..im off to read book reviews and price comparisons.

9. profile image0
    blake4dposted 14 years ago

You might enjoy Phillip K. Dick, William S. Burroughs, and Hunter S. Thompson.

very accurate identification of where my tastes lie, but alas, I have already devoured them all..Phillip k dick sit strong on shelf of honor..although you remind me that there is no way I actually own ALL of thompsons work...the hunt is on

Thank you!

10. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

Yankee Pasha by Edison Marshall.  Adventure, romance, mystery, tragedy and humor.  A fun read!

Thank you, thats a total unknown to me will look into it further

11. profile image61
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

Dangerous Visions by Harlan Ellison!

I do like harlan ellison but I havent collected and read all his works, good reminder im all over that one

12. TheGlassSpider profile image63
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

*slaps forehead* I can't believe I forgot to mention Jose Saramago!

Blindness or any others he's written.

Phillip K. Dick is also an excellent suggestion

13. profile image50
    silkwormposted 14 years ago

There are plenty good books I would recommend like "Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky", "Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond", I got plenty so lets read these two first.

14. Sufidreamer profile image78
    Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

Glad that you like Neil Gaiman - top author.

Don't know if you have tried Stephen R. Donaldson - his Thomas Covenant series is one that I return to often. Philip Pullman is another - 'His Dark Materials' hits the spot. Robert E. Howard's Conan is very underrated - much more subtle than people give him credit for. There is Terry Pratchett, too - good for light relief.

That's all - I need to place a big Amazon order soon, or learn better Greek neutral

certainly a fan of the "His dark materials" series am actually angered that it seems the movies series doesnt have a snowballs chance in hell of being produced.

Apparently, Pratchett, Howard and Donaldson need to make my list. Im sure ive read Donaldson but I really cant recall any details so it seems at the very least its time for a reread..if you like Gaiman, ill ahve to take your other suggestions

1. TheGlassSpider profile image63
        TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Make sure you go to the bathroom before you read Pratchett...if not you'll pee yourself laughing. He's really THAT funny. I highly recommend Reaper Man.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)