jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What are some fantasy or science fiction series that you would recommend?

1. Der Meister profile image71
    Der Meisterposted 5 years ago

What are some fantasy or science fiction series that you would recommend?

2. razorblades profile image60
    razorbladesposted 5 years ago

Well Star Trek for sure, all of the different ones.  Doctor Who is another safe bet. They would definitely be two of the most popular ones.  There are also some older British science fiction/fantasy like Sapphire and Steele and Blakes 7 (and some of the older Doctor Who episides particularly the ones with Peter Davidson as the Doctor),  They are worth watching, particularly if you can enjoy the old special effects and wobbly sets!

3. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

I would recommmend the first six Dune novels, written by Frank Herbert (1920-1980-something).

4. agilitymach profile image97
    agilitymachposted 5 years ago

As this is under books, I'll stick to just books.

Of course, the epic of all epics is the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy.  This is a must read.

I've also liked "The Original Shannara Trilogy" and have written Book Reviews on them.  "The Sword of Shannara," "The Elfstones of Shannara," and "The Wishsong of Shannara."  "The First King of Shannara" is the prequel to the trilogy, but I'd read the trilogy before the prequel in this case.  It was written in that order by Terry Brooks.

I've also read Anne McCaffrey's Dragon Riders of Pern books.  I found them really mediocre.  I'm currently reading Terry Goodkind's "Wizard's First Rule," and am not sure yet what I think of them.

"Eragon" by Chistopher Paolini is an interesting book as the author was only 15 when he wrote it.  It's also designed as a "young adult" book.  With that in mind, it's rather fun to read.  I've also written a book review on it.

I hope this gives you a few more options. I know there are some really great Fantasy and SciFi that I haven't read myself. smile

5. KiriLiz profile image60
    KiriLizposted 5 years ago

I'm a big fan of fantasy stories, and the absolute best series is The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien, including the prequel, The Hobbit. The Simarillion, also by Tolkien, is a prequel to The Hobbit and is also very good and gives a lot of background story on Middle-Earth, Tolkien's fantasy world.

Another one of my favorite series is The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis. I love the allegories in those stories, and Lewis had such a way with words! Epic!

A newer fantasy series that I've enjoyed is the Dragonkeeper Series by Donita K. Paul. Dragons, adventure, humor... how can you go wrong with that? smile