jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

What is your favorite Science fiction novel, or series of novels, of all time?

1. Eric Calderwood profile image85
    Eric Calderwoodposted 7 years ago

What is your favorite Science fiction novel, or series of novels, of all time?

Pick one from your childhood and one from adulthood.
    As for me:
    Childhood - The Wonderful Flight To the Mushroom Planet by Eleanor Cameron.
    Adulthood - The Tripods Trilogy (and the prequel) by John Christopher.

2. profile image0
    Chasukposted 7 years ago

Both of the novels/series that you picked above are treasures from my childhood.

The Changeling, By Zilpha Keatley Snyder, for my childhood, if we are stretching to speculative fiction. Honestly, I can't choose.

Okay, I'll take the plunge: The Overman Culture, by Edmund Cooper, for my childhood SF choice.

From my adulthood? The three-volume trilogy commencing with Grass, by Sheri Tepper.

This is so hard!

3. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 7 years ago

as a child, most of my SF, came from comics, Dan Dare, mainly, in the Eagle.  When I was 12 I read Brave New World and 1984, whilst I enjoyed the futuristic elements in both, I didn't really appreciate the books until I re-read them as an adult.  My favourite SF book of all time, well, up to now, has to be Neuromancer, William Gibson, and the other parts Count Zero, and Mona Lisa Overide.  I encountered Neuromancer about 15 years ago, I picked up the book in W H Smiths, casualy read the first par and continued reading up to and at the counter and all the way home, luckily I was without the car that day:-)  The use of language, description, the flow from one scene/character to another, brilliant stuff.

4. blackreign2012 profile image68
    blackreign2012posted 7 years ago

The Star Wars New World Order series,V.C Andrews; Emily dickinson, edgar allen poe, langston hughes, Maya Angelou, Danielle Steele, Robert Frost... There are so many because I am an advid reader so I won't list them all lol

5. profile image0
    FreedomChic1776posted 7 years ago

From my childhood, I would have to say any of Madeleine L'Engle.

6. profile image0
    ericvonjedposted 7 years ago

Hammer's Slammers, Baen Books, written by David Drake.

7. Bubblegum Senpai profile image88
    Bubblegum Senpaiposted 6 years ago

The Haruhi Suzumiya series - definately a personal fave. I also enjoyed Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game" although I didn't really enjoy the subsequent novels in the series.

8. seicheprey profile image60
    seichepreyposted 6 years ago

The Dune series.  I read them as a child and as an adult, and I still pick up the first to read it again occasionally.

9. yoginijoy profile image73
    yoginijoyposted 5 years ago

I recommend the entire Sword of Truth series written by Terry Goodkind. There are 12 novels in total, the first being Wizard's First Rule. Mr. Goodkind has a few other books as well so check to see if it's part of the series. Let me know if you check them out!

10. LoisRyan13903 profile image81
    LoisRyan13903posted 4 years ago

Adult-Doctor Who-I was able to read a book a night. 
    Child-Star Wars

working