jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you overuse or misuse the comma?

1. RC Cooper profile image74
    RC Cooperposted 5 years ago

Do you overuse or misuse the comma?

Thanks to starting my English 102 class I have recently been reminded that more times than often I might be using commas incorrectly or car too often. What kind of rules do most writers follow? How many of us have ran into this problem?

2. Leah Vanessa profile image60
    Leah Vanessaposted 5 years ago
  3. WryLilt profile image91
    WryLiltposted 5 years ago

No, but it seems terrible overuse of commas won't stop you being a famous published author, as this excerpt from Fifty Shades of Grey shows:

“I want him to stay because he wants to stay with me, not because I’m a blubbering mess, and I don’t want him to beat me, is that so unreasonable?” (286)

4. profile image0
    Domenick Dicceposted 5 years ago

Commas are my mortal enemy when it comes to writing.  I get so confused on when to use them and not to use them. It is probably the biggest thing writers notice when they read my hubs.  COMMMMMMAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSS NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Niteriter profile image78
    Niteriterposted 5 years ago

I confess, I am guilty! I am a literary ruffian, a comma abuser, a writer oblivious to punctuation sensibilities, an offender who ought to be, in any properly policed literary society, tossed into the outer darkness where pickaxes and shovels are the tools of the trade.

Having said that, how would you judge my use of the comma here?