jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (38 posts)

I suck at applying proper punctuation.

1. IntimatEvolution profile image80
    IntimatEvolutionposted 6 years ago

I suck when it comes to knowing when to use commas and when not too.  I have always sucked at knowing when to use commas, semicolons, and other writing basics.  Know of any good hubs or websites I could visit that might be of use?  Or if you have a tip or two to share with me that would be fantastic.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image81
      Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago in reply to this
        IntimatEvolutionposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Great recommendation!  Thanks.  I just glanced at it and it says that it is no longer necessary to space twice after a period.  Hmmm, I wonder why not.

That has something to do with typewriters. A site I write for is always warning me against that, I usually do it accidentally smile

1. Aficionada profile image89
            Aficionadaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

So do I, and I actually prefer the way it looks.  I don't mean to be a punctuation dinosaur, and I'm not really one - but I like the extra space! [Technically, I'm not doing it accidentally.  I know exactly that I'm adding it. big_smile]

2. wilderness profile image96
            wildernessposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Probably because a typewriter puts all letters into the same fixed size space.  Large capital letters eliminate all or nearly all the white space following the previous letter or mark.  Computers vary the size of the space allotted for a letter based on the size of that letter.

I didn't know this about periods, though.  I always double space after a period - like afficionada I prefer the appearance and will probably never change.  I've noticed some places that won't let me do it, and after trying several times I just give up and let it happen with that ugly single space. smile

2. Shadesbreath profile image85
          Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The double space was a way to make sure the typesetter at the print house knew it was a new sentence. With nothing being typeset anymore, you don't need double spaces.

As for commas and semicolons, there's lots of good places to find that info online. Learning semicolons and colons will add power to your writing. So will learning how to use dashes and ellipses. They aren't hard, particularly if you make a point of practicing them right after you read up on them.

Hmmm... maybe I could write a humorous grammar hub, make it fun. You just gave me an idea. big_smile

1. KBowden profile image59
            KBowdenposted 6 years ago in reply to this

They like changing stupid little rules every year to confuse the hell out of us.  I'd like to strangle the people responsible.  I don't keep up with fashion, because it changes too much. I'm about to stop writing for the same damn reason. By the time I've learned the preferred formats of each publisher and sent my manuscript in, the rules, and their preferences, are already changed!

2. thisisoli profile image53
        thisisoliposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You're punctuation, looks fine. to me!

2. seanorjohn profile image82
      seanorjohnposted 6 years ago

Mark Twain was lousy at punctuation, so you are in good company.
      He wrote to the editors - ,,.,.,,:;:,.,.,. disperse these at your pleasure sir.

smile

2. IntimatEvolution profile image80

Oh thank goodness.  That's an amazing quote.  I feel the same way.  Thank you for the smile.wink

3. Pamela N Red profile image89
        Pamela N Redposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I love Mark Twain. He's a man after my own heart.

4. earnestshub profile image87
        earnestshubposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I try to use commas to indicate the flow of what I write, cos god knows it needs all the help it can get! lol

3. Pamela N Red profile image89
      Pamela N Redposted 6 years ago

Try using Word. It isn't always right but helps you correct most mistakes. Also read basic grammar books; they help quite a bit.

When in doubt, leave it out. I've followed that philosophy over the years and it hasn't failed me yet.

Yeah that doesn't work as well as I like it to.  But thanks for the suggestion.

4. profile image0
      Muldanianmanposted 6 years ago

Punctuation has hardly been used in England for years.  Birmingham City Council has abolished the use of the apostrophe, because people find it too confusing.  In fact, English is rarely spoke proper, like wot it is supposed to be. Innit!

1. earnestshub profile image87
        earnestshubposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'll take all the apostrophes they don't want.

I dunno where they go properly so I just spray lots of them around. smile

1. wilderness profile image96

Lets see:
          "I'll take all the 'postrophes they'sa don't want."  "I don't know where they'sa go properly so I'sa just spray lots of 'em 'round."

Would this not be better?

2. Kangaroo_Jase profile image80
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Oops see's them like words a're a'vin a spot ov bother den. darn wot 'spoons to da Queens words thes days, innit!

OMG!  You two belong somewhere in a small padded room just for the two of you. lol

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image80
            Kangaroo_Jaseposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Buahahahaha!

Jar Jar Binks responds with....

Meesa so happy to be Hubbin wit you all! When all of us are Jubbin, everyone is soooo Moi Moi smile smile smile

1. Cagsil profile image59
              Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

lol lol

5. Shadesbreath profile image85
      Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago

Posting to undo the "follow topic"... OMG that is sooooo annoying.

1. Shadesbreath profile image85
          Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago in reply to this

OMG... thank you, Cags.

I kept forgetting to uncheck those, or was too lazy to wait for my phone to load the page to unsubscribe. Totally annoying default setting, IMO.

You're quite welcome Shades. smile

2. wilderness profile image96

Ain't it the truth!  I really miss being notified when someone replies to my own posts, but just can't put up with the hundreds of emails. sad

Sure wish they'd change it back.

Hey Wilderness, check out my post to Shadesbreath for a link, see where it leads you? lol

Yes, I unchecked it some time ago when I found 69 emails in about 2 hours.  When you do, however, you no longer get notified when someone replies to your post.

6. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 6 years ago

I for, one know: exactly what; you mean.

1. Aficionada profile image89
        Aficionadaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Love it!

7. Capable Woman profile image65
      Capable Womanposted 6 years ago

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/index.htm

I have found this site to be very helpful with my own punctuation and other grammar-related challenges.

8. ladyjojo profile image61
      ladyjojoposted 6 years ago

Me too i just drop full stops and comma's wherever my mind tells me too. I am not and never was good at punctuations. Yes Hubpages has been making too many demands recently. All of a sudden they got super perfect. If a fullstop missing they will  not publish your hub.

I always justify my writing so it will align properly when i copy and paste it into the text capsule. Hubpages has it look helter skelter then they wanna talk about appropriateness my foot. I get very discourage to write but i still do

9. TMMason profile image63
      TMMasonposted 6 years ago

"English Grammer For Dummies", by, Geraldine Woods. She is very good at logically explaining the do's and don'ts, and which do's and don'ts are uneccessary, or necccessary, to even bother with.

It is a very good guide for any who have issues with grammer.

10. SomewayOuttaHere profile image62
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 6 years ago

...me too...sshpelling cauzes me greef too sumtimes

11. profile image54
      allisonaaposted 6 years ago

a ton of style manuals out there that make life much easier for anyone who wants to write or has to write. just to name a few:

the elements of style--strunk and white
      when words collide--lauren kessler & duncan mcdonald
      a writer's reference--diana hacker
      eats, shoots & leaves--lynne truss
      mla handbook--latest edition available
      chicago manual of style--latest edition available

there are many more and it's just crazy to not use them.

working