jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What are some good books about Christian parenting?

1. angela_michelle profile image98
    angela_michelleposted 5 years ago

What are some good books about Christian parenting?

I have an eight year old little girl, and I want to know if there are any good books that would help me be a better parent to her?

2. KiandraRutledge profile image66
    KiandraRutledgeposted 5 years ago

Congratulations for wanting to train your child to be a spiritually healthy person and you wanting to be a spiritual example for your child.  There are 6 books I would recommend reading: the book of Proverbs and Ecclesiastes give good advice that is great for both parents and children because both teach us how to apply wisdom in our lives.  Of course the other 4 books would be Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.  As a Christian we are following the example that Christ left for us in both word and deed, so reading these books and examining the way Christ dealt with people, and your little one watching you do the same would give her a blueprint to follow and in return bring honor to God.

3. LauraGSpeaks profile image96
    LauraGSpeaksposted 5 years ago

"The Power of a Praying Parent," by Stormie Omartian is a good read.  It is a powerful reminder of how prayer can help us raise our kids and keep them on the right path.

4. Eunice Stuhlhofer profile image59
    Eunice Stuhlhoferposted 5 years ago

LauraG and KindraRutledge have put it very well. I would add that the Bible is the manual of instruction for human beings just like products have instruction manuals from their manufacturers. In our case, God is the creator, "manufacturer" of human beings and that includes the child. Talk to him daily about your parenting needs and he will meet them one day at a time. I wrote a memoir in which I included my parenting, the struggles and triumphs etc. You could check it out on my blog www.eunicewanguistuhlhofer.wordpress.com

Much blessings on your highest and honorable call.

5. Samantha Gold profile image61
    Samantha Goldposted 5 years ago

Raising Respectful Children in a Disrespectful World by Jill Rigby is an excellent book that I reference all the time.  There are some great thought provoking questions at the end of each chapter, so it makes a great book for a group study.  I have also read 12 Great Choice Smart Moms Make by Robin Chaddock, another great book for a group study. 

I have also heard, although I have not read it yet, that there is a Five Love Languages book by Gary Chapman for discovering your children's love languages.

6. royalblkrose profile image60
    royalblkroseposted 5 years ago

"bringing up girls" by Dr. James Dobson and "how to raise a strong willed child" also by Dr. James Dobson.
    Dr. Dobson offers solid Chirsitan principles as well as quality advice from a clinical position, as well