jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you write slowly, and if not, how do you write faster without lowering qualit

1. LauraVerderber profile image91
    LauraVerderberposted 5 years ago

Do you write slowly, and if not, how do you write faster without lowering quality?

I think I'm pretty middle of the road when it comes to writing ability. I don't suck but I'm not brilliant. I love to write and I think that shows. I'm even a little bit proud of what I've written. However, I don't know a much about proper grammar and punctuation. I also write at a snail's pace. Ok, so I'm making Youtube videos, launching a website, and averaging about 2-3 hubs per month. I think I should produce more than that. I see other hubbers do it. Can you give me tips on how to be faster please?

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I write quickly initially to get what I want to convey down before I lose it. Then I slowly go over it and edit, edit, edit to fine tune it.  With the first draft I don't worry about grammar, spelling or punctuation.  I do all of that once the general ideas are on paper.

I suggest every time you get even an inking on a hub idea, write a paragraph and save it.  Then when you want to write a hub you can scan through your idea file and pull something up and get started.

3. M. T. Dremer profile image94
    M. T. Dremerposted 5 years ago

For me, speed of writing is directly related to how interested I am in the topic. If I get an idea for a hub that I feel passionately about, I can write it pretty quickly with minimal editing. However, if I'm trying to force myself to get a certain number of hubs out the door, I'm not going to write fast at all because I'm forcing myself to find subjects that I may or may not be interested in. Eventually we just run out of ideas. It's the same with writing fiction. When the stars align, and you've properly prepared, you can write a 50,000 word novel in a month. And other times, it seems that every direction you turn in leads to a wall. It's true that writing what you enjoy most is less reliable than developing a system of constant content production, but I find that it's more satisfying.

4. studentsage profile image59
    studentsageposted 5 years ago

I can write fast if I know what I'm talking about, and I think that's the most important thing. Think first, organize your ideas, and then put them on paper (or computer screen).

If you're still stuck, because the process of writing is the troubling bit, then stop worrying about the mistakes you might make as you write. That helps me a lot. If I'm typing, I'll turn off the monitor/turn the brightness all the way down. That way I don't keep reviewing what I wrote.

And if all else fails, just force yourself to put something down on paper. It doesn't matter if you're good at writing or if what you put down even makes sense. I use a downloadable app called Self Control. You preset any websites that will distract you, and then choose a set time where you can't access those sites. That forces you to sit and type.

Hope this helps.

5. LauraVerderber profile image91
    LauraVerderberposted 5 years ago

Thanks for the responses everyone. I love seeing other writers' methods. I do a lot of what's already been mentioned. I think my problem is as soon as I get the majority of the idea down I lose interest and move on to writing something else instead of  finishing it off. I'll finish about 3 hubs a month, but I'll end up adding 10-15 drafts in addition so I never finish anything. Perhaps I should have worded this question as "How to Motivate Yourself to Concentrate on One Thing At a Time" instead.

working