Smells, songs, etc., can provoke memories. What are some of yours?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)
  1. granniesharon profile image60
    granniesharonposted 11 years ago

Smells, songs, etc., can provoke memories.  What are some of yours?

2. Al Bacon profile image60
    Al Baconposted 11 years ago

I have several that are special.  I was going through a school at one time near a club with a live piano player where myself and a close friend would go many evenings and eventually a tradition started where the piano player would play Clare De Lune for her and Rhapsody in Blue for me the moment we walked in.
    One evening he also played Gloomy Sunday as well but he did not recall the words to that.  I eventually did hear the words to that song, by Billie Holiday, but Cindy never did.
    She passed on and has been gone for some years now but when I hear one of those three songs, I am reminded of a special person and a special time in my life that I never appreciated then as much as I should have.

granniesharonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

beautiful and sad - thank you for sharing

3. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 11 years ago

The smell of gardenias reminds me of warm summer evenings as a teenager, and the smoky smell of fireplaces on brisk Autumn/Winter nights brings happy memories of growing up and sharing family holiday celebrations. Many songs bring specific memories, but the opening of Lovin' Spoonful's "You Didn't Have To Be So Nice" really hits me w/ an almost painful nostalgia that I can't pinpoint. smile

:>)      sweet!

4. Tracy McGrath profile image61
    Tracy McGrathposted 11 years ago

I met a lady a few years back that  traveled all the way from Africa, God put our paths together for such a time as this.  After a few days from meeting her, we would get together and sing at least once or twice a week.  Her having a heart for worship and me also, we did well together.  One of the songs that truly touched me during that time in my life was a song entitled, "here I am to worship"  today when I hear that song in the quietness of my own space, I cry because I miss the friendship this woman and I once had.  yet at the same time I rejoice because of the friendship we continue to have, and as the song is played in the church I attend, I am provoke again with feelings of gratitude for all that my LORD and Savior Christ Jesus has done and is continuing to do in my life and the lives of all those around me.

5. Just Ask Susan profile image90
    Just Ask Susanposted 11 years ago

Whenever I hear "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" it reminds me of me sitting on my dads lap as he sang this song so beautifully. It brings tears to my eyes as he passed away about 6 years ago and I miss him dearly.
    Smells ..... Sunlight dish detergent. Whenever I smell this it reminds me of my Aunts house as every time I'd walk into her house it had the same exact smell.

Nice to see you granniesharon. You've been missed around here.

thank you-my writing comes in spurts so to speak- nice memories, touching, thank you for sharing

6. granniesharon profile image60
    granniesharonposted 11 years ago

Since several of you have been kind enough to share your memories I thought I would share some of my most vivid smell and song provoked memories.

His name was Steve, he was 21 years old and I was 15.  I didn't have a steady boyfriend at the time and I worried about that as most teenage girls do.  My friend Krystal decided that Steve should be my boyfriend and she introduced me to him.

For our first "date" we and another "couple" were going to walk to the mall which was about a mile from where I lived.  I was so excited I hurried down the front steps and tripped over my own two feet and landed face down on the concrete porch.  So embarrassed and yet determined not to be a loser I hopped up and walked with the others to the mall.  When we returned home my ankle was swollen like a great big soccer ball and it hurt.

Steve was so concerned he went everywhere with me to make sure I was okay.  He even went to church and held my crutches which I never was able to use correctly.  I got bruises under my arm.

At that time, the song by Minnie Ripperton "Loving You"  played non stop on the radio.  It was not my favorite or even in my top ten favorites but every time I heard that song from then on I thought of Steve.  The perfume I was wearing at that time had a light floral scent and to this day if I smell that scent I think of him and remember that clumsy fall down the steps.  I also remember the note he wrote me telling me I was as cute as a speckled pup and how I wondered what that meant.

Steve was an orphan, I don't remember where he was from but he wasn't from our town so he eventually moved back to his home.   I don't remember exactly why or how we "broke up" but I'm sure it was confusing for both of us.

Steve was a smoker.

I learned of his passing of lung cancer only a few short years later.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)