jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

why do dogs sniff the carpet? me and my husband just moved into a new condo with

1. Brittney JonesLV profile image57
    Brittney JonesLVposted 7 years ago

why do dogs sniff the carpet? me and my husband just moved into a new condo with brand new carpet?

2. libby101a profile image60
    libby101aposted 7 years ago

It's a new odor. A dog has a sense of smell much greater than a humans... this makes any smell amplified! I would guess the new carpet smell is probably very strong to the dog.

3. rhensley11 profile image57
    rhensley11posted 7 years ago

Sniffing is a dog's version of reading a newspaper.  They want to get familiar with all the smells in their environment.  Once they are familiar with the smells in your condo, they won't sniff as much.  Hope this helps answer your question.

4. lindacee profile image95
    lindaceeposted 7 years ago

Hopefully your pooch is not looking for a potty place on the brand new carpet!  wink

5. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 7 years ago

Must have some good smells.  Dogs have very sensitive smell and smell just about everything to check it out.  Whoever laid the carpet may have left some smells on it the dog finds interesting.

6. badegg profile image78
    badeggposted 7 years ago

A dog's sense of smell can be 20,000 times greater than a human's. Your carpet was probably stored in a warehouse prior to installation where it may have picked up the scents of rats, mice or any other varmint. The carpet installers also have their own set or scents to leave behind.

It's all part of your pet getting used to his or her new environment.

7. Seeker7 profile image95
    Seeker7posted 7 years ago

Hi your lovely dog is just finding out all about his new home. We use sight and our eyes first with anything new; dogs your their nose and smell first - I guess the easiest way to view it is that what our eyesight is to us, the sense of smell in the dog is the equivalent.