I need some advice on how to conduct an interview

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (17 posts)
  1. lindalou1963 profile image61
    lindalou1963posted 11 years ago

I need some advice on how to conduct an interview

I'm going to be doing an interview with a real-life friend who has an interview on the TV show 'The Voice.' With her permission, I'll be sharing this with the local newspaper. I would like any advice hubbers can provide about how to do this!!

Thank you!!

2. profile image0
    Lizam1posted 11 years ago

Make sure you know what the central point of the interview is.  Ask open ended questions and be clear about how you interpret or use comments she may make.

lindalou1963posted 11 years agoin reply to this

good advice... thank you!

2. EsmeSanBona profile image95
      EsmeSanBonaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Excellent advice!

3. Claudia Marie profile image63
    Claudia Marieposted 11 years ago

The goal of the interviewer is to find the right applicant for the job. Successfully accomplishing this task depends on selecting  productive interview questions. Design interview question that will enable you to assess the attitude and aptitude of each employee.

The Professional interviewer will avoid asking questions such as:

Yes or no questions, they should be avoided because they obtain very limited information.
    "Inch" questions require a one word answer generally of little benefit.
    Loaded or leading questions should be avoided because they suggest a correct answer, you want to know what the employee is thinking, not give him or her answers.
    Instead ask open ended questions, questions that require more than a yes or no answer. Note some examples below:

Why do you want to work here?
    What are your strengths?
    What are your weakness?
    Why should we hire you?
    What make you think you are right applicant for the job.
    How will we benefit by hiring you?

Another approach is to ask the employee to describe how he or she dealt with a situation or performed a skill in the past. Note some example below:

Describe a difficult situation or task you had to deal with?
    Give me an example of you performing under stress?
    Describe a situation where you had to think outside the box?
    Give me an example of your successfully managing or leading others?
    Give me examples of you working with people of diverse backgrounds?
    Describe a situation where you had to effectively use your communication skills?

Selecting the right interview questions will very according to the type of job opening, each company's needs are different. However, selecting the right questions will indeed give you plenty of information to help you choose the best applicant for the job. Happy Interviewing!

This is great advice.. thank you so much!

4. lindalou1963 profile image61
    lindalou1963posted 11 years ago

I meant to say she had an AUDITION on the voice!!

5. EsmeSanBona profile image95
    EsmeSanBonaposted 11 years ago

I would find out some history about how she came to audition and find out some information that really makes her stand out.  One of the best parts of a good interview with a subject like this is to find out her uniqueness--what sets her apart from others who have also auditioned.  Everyone, absolutely everyone has something that sets them apart from the rest.  Find out what that is.  Find out as well some inside info about the audition process.  We see the results on television, but I'll bet she has some information that the general public is never going to know about.  I love the advice given as well about asking open ended questions--that is where you are really going to get the heart of your interview.  Remember--you are the interviewer, but the interviewee is who we want to discover.  Since you are her friend, I'm assuming you are going to paint her in a good light.  And since she's your friend, I would also consider giving her a first look at the story once it's written, just so she has a chance to clarify anything that may not have come over the way she wants it to.  Good luck!  I hope you'll link to the story once it's done--would love to read it.

This is amazing advice... thank you so much!!

6. profile image0
    lesliebyarsposted 11 years ago

Get facts from the person your interviewing and ask lots of questions based on getting their opinions.

Thank you!

7. Heavensgates profile image73
    Heavensgatesposted 11 years ago

Always take several deep breaths...relax!  Remember or know this, Journalism 101: Research your topic and or person.   Always ask, who, what, where, when, why, and how.  Probe with your personality until you get a satisfactory answer.  Wrap it up by thanking your guest/s.  And close.  I hope I've been helpful to you!

Thanks !!

2. EsmeSanBona profile image95
      EsmeSanBonaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

More dead on accurate advice!

8. Lanzskie profile image65
    Lanzskieposted 11 years ago

I can see very informatiive and useful advice here. I have nothing else to say, tbh. It's all in one plate.

Best of luck! smile

9. ROBERTHEWETTSR profile image67
    ROBERTHEWETTSRposted 11 years ago

You didn't say the purpose of the Audition, but tailor your interview to her background and talent for that audition.  Will you be doing the interview before her audition or afterwards.  That might make a big difference in what info you cover in the interview.  Suppose she fails the audition, you can cover her experience and how she felt she did and what might have caused her to fail.  If she has a successful audition, then lavish the praise on her.  I have done author interviews and other types, but if you look at the Hubpages snippets each week they usually highlight a successful interview which can help you.  Good luck.

Thank you! I appreciate the advice!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)