jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Do you have dark/dream-like memories?

1. LillyGrillzit profile image78
    LillyGrillzitposted 4 years ago

Do you have dark/dream-like memories?

I have been reading Shirley Jackson short stories from before 1965, and some of the stories seem to be like snippets of nightmares. Do you have dark memories that are hard to distinguish from nightmares, stories you have read, or scary movies you have seen?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/3712461_f260.jpg

2. Rod Marsden profile image75
    Rod Marsdenposted 4 years ago

Growing up I thought the most frightening movie was The Innocents which is based on an American novella, The Turn of the Screw. Anyway, I was spooked by the idea of being possessed by a spirit and losing my own identity. Being chopped up or stabbed to death wasn't as scary because I would still be me. The idea of my body being taken over by someone else who is dead and I being lost forever was much more frightening. Maybe you have to be ten to appreciate this.

LillyGrillzitposted 4 years agoin reply to this

No. I am way past 10, and I appreciate your point. Thank you for your answer. I did not realize the Innocents was based on The Turn of The Screw.

2. Rod Marsden profile image75
      Rod Marsdenposted 4 years agoin reply to this

There is also another movie which is called The Turn of the Screw. Both the Innocents and The Turn of the Screw are excellent films that interpret the novella in completely different ways. What delights me is the fact that both movies are valid.

3. Pennypines profile image60
    Pennypinesposted 4 years ago

If you are asking about nightmares, yes I do have them with fair frequency and some of them quite frightening.  Have no idea what brings them on, but I usually put it down to something that disagreed with me and attempt to dismiss them.  Having something of a phlegmatic nature I am usually able to do so without much difficulty.  I sometimes wonder if writers of horror stories depend upon nightmares for inspiration.

LillyGrillzitposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for this answer. Interesting. Excellent point re: horror writers.

working