jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

I need suggestions. I need a picture of a book cover.

1. ZachMayes profile image61
    ZachMayesposted 4 years ago

I need suggestions. I need a picture of a book cover.

I am trying to write a book review, and am having trouble finding a picture I can be sure about the licencing of. I am an amazon affiliate, so I had planed to use a picture from there, but I cant get a picture link that is compatible, because of the html coding they use.

Any suggestions? Can I just use the picture from the authors website, if I acknowledge I don't own it?

2. SidKemp profile image96
    SidKempposted 4 years ago

Views on this are mixed, but I have a solution that is considered satisfactory by Wikimedia, and HubPages has not complained.

Use a screen capture tool to catch an image of the book cover from Amazon. Or, if you own the book, just take a good, straight-on photo of the cover. Convert to JPG and upload. Reference the copyrght to the book's publisher. Note it as being in the public domain for purposes of review.

In the view of both Wikimedia Commons and also a national publisher's association, using a book cover, movie poster, or even a still from a movie for this purpose *If you are reviewing the actual book or movie, and not using the illustration for another purpose* is legitimate fare use, even on a commercial site. (This is more solid for book cover art, posters, and released promo photos. It's a bit touchier with regard to movie stills.

Be careful. Do not do this just to illustrate an article of your own that is not a review or commentary of the work mentioned.

1. ZachMayes profile image61
      ZachMayesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank You Sid. I will probably use the Amazon screen shot, because then I can link to that page, like if I used an image from wikimedia.

3. ZachMayes profile image61
    ZachMayesposted 4 years ago

Hey SidKemp, Since it sounds like you have done this before, would you say this is an appropriate citation;
    Amazon.com (Photo Copyright Held by Publisher. In Public Domain for Purpose of Review)

I know how to reference a photo licence when the image is in the public domain like from wiki commons, but I am a bit lost when I am borrowing it from another site.

1. SidKemp profile image96
      SidKempposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Try this: Copy right held by Publisher (via Source),  Low-res image used under fair use. Of course, name the publisher. Then the source coule be "WIkimedia Commons" or "Amazon.com", wherever you found the image.

2. ZachMayes profile image61
      ZachMayesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you again SidKemp

working