jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (25 posts)

Quick feedback on a book cover?

1. poppyr profile image98
    poppyrposted 3 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/11912450_f520.jpg
    Hello,
    I was wondering if anyone could give some quick feedback on my book cover.  It was created by two graphic artist students at my university.  The three of us are looking for feedback.  Would it be ok if you told me your immediate thoughts? (Good and bad feedback welcome)
    Thank you!
    Poppyr

1. Rod Marsden profile image76
      Rod Marsdenposted 3 years agoin reply to this

There is no emotion in the eyes. No drama appears to be unfolding.

2. jandee profile image50
      jandeeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I think the male is too huge ! Too overwhelming. The woman is fine ! I would like to see the figure -is it a bat- more definite! ( I can't stand over muscley men so maybe my comment is useless on him ) Good luck.

poppyrposted 3 years agoin reply to this

The man is from a race of human-like creatures who are supposed to be huge and muscular.  I didn't explain that in the question though.  Thanks for your comment smile

3. PatriciaTL profile image85
      PatriciaTLposted 3 years agoin reply to this

The picture of the female immediately brought to mind Katniss from The Hunger Games.

4. schoolgirlforreal profile image84
      schoolgirlforrealposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I prefer pictures of real people, photographs, not made up ones

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image81
    Kathryn L Hillposted 3 years ago

I think the woman's figure should be facing the male's back rather than her back to his back. A woman's face is usually the first place the viewer looks so it should be appealing. The center of the picture is also very important, but what we see in this picture are arrows squashed between the two figures.

I like the background and the lettering is eye catching, but If you lighten the yellow tones, the letters might appear more golden. I don't think the bow should be obstructing the title of the book.

I think the color scheme needs to be enhanced with additional colors and tones. Perhaps the female could be dressed in red instead of green to enhance the word Blood in the title.  I would eliminate all gray tones and replace them with deep blues or purples. Don't be afraid to use cool tones for shadows and warm tones for highlights. Men look masculine in red and yellow tones - red tones being cool to yellow - and women look feminine in blue and pink tones - blue being cool to highlights of pink. etc.   Good Luck.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image81
    Kathryn L Hillposted 3 years ago

- out of curiosity who are the two characters and what era are they from…?

I wrote an article about the characters etc http://poppyr.hubpages.com/hub/Fantasy- … Poppy-Reid

4. Twilight Lawns profile image83
    Twilight Lawnsposted 3 years ago

She's in no danger,,, with a build like that, the guy's most probably a "Muscle Mary" with a very small willy.

I can assure you his willy is very satisfactory wink

2. Twilight Lawns profile image83
      Twilight Lawnsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Poppy,
      Please excuse my childish comments, regarding Villid's equipment.
      I do tend to be a bit childish at times.
      I have just read your introduction and got to know Aya and Villid as much as you have let us know.  From the scant information I have, I think I like both of them, and although not being into fantasy writing and the like, I was impressed at your clear and concise descriptions and development of the introduction to the book.
      Without sounding too critical, it is refreshing to read something on HubPages that is correctly spelt and punctuated.
      Good luck in your venture, and, as others have suggested, modify the pictures of your characters, as I am sure that that would be beneficial.
      Ian

Thank you for taking the time to read the article and for your kind comment.
        I realise the fantasy genre is very over-played and there are probably many things on the cover and in the book that people won't like.
        That being said, I'm 21 years old and it's my first properly published book; I started writing BOTF when I was 17. I really appreciate you being honest, and even though your comment could be described as childish it actually made me laugh.  Thanks again smile I appreciate it.

5. ironangel89 profile image60
    ironangel89posted 3 years ago

I say this without trying to sound condescending. But it looks very cheap and unappealing. Not a professional cover. The proportions look funny, the faces look cheesy and generic and lifeless.

It was drawn by two young adults from university with no previous experience in book cover design.  But thank you for being honest.

1. ironangel89 profile image60
        ironangel89posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, I wasn't sure on what level we were judging this lol

It's fine, you gave your honest (if a bit blunt haha) opinion which I asked for smile How would you suggest improvement?

6. ii3rittles profile image83
    ii3rittlesposted 3 years ago

The male is a bit too big. The bow shouldn't go over the title, it looks childish (not to be mean!). There is no emotion in the faces. I would add in more shadowing as well. It is suppose to be dark with lighting coming from the storm, not appear as though there is a spot light on them. I hope that helps!

As I mentioned, the designers had no previous experience in book cover design at all, and are both recently graduated graphic design students.  Thank you for your feedback though, it's good to know that they look emotionless as a few people have said that.

1. jandee profile image50
        jandeeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Just tell them to do their own book and cover  ! Too many know it all critics -go ahead with it  ! At least you will know it is different!

Thank you big_smile I agree.  It may not be the best cover they've ever seen but I like it!  It's good to get feedback though.

7. Purplepassion1 profile image79
    Purplepassion1posted 3 years ago

Before I read all the comments, I thought it was a good cover.  I still think it is a good cover.  Best wishes on the book.

Thank you so much, yours is the first positive comment I've had smile

8. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

The man's physique suggest steroids not low tech manly exercise--to the degree it makes it seem like his head is too small.

I would suggest dialing it back a bit. Also  the elf ear is a signal of fantasy genre, try not to cover it up.

In the book the man's race go through rigorous exercise and combat from birth.  I actually imagined him bigger.

working