Have you ever co-written a story?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)
  1. MPChris profile image75
    MPChrisposted 5 years ago

Have you ever co-written a story?

Just wondering what it was like. I am considering writing with a partner on a new series I have in mind. If you read this, and might be interested, feel free to send me a message or something.

2. RyanSmith86 profile image80
    RyanSmith86posted 5 years ago

I'm currently trying to write a novel with a friend of mine. We live across the country from one another, and our schedules never mesh. Plus, she's going through a divorce (no relation to me being in the picture, lol), so we've not gotten very far on the project. All I can see right now are problems with it. So, I don't even know if I'll try to finish the project.

Other than that, I don't know what to say...

Ryan

MPChrisposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the input. Do you find your styles go along well? Like, I, for example, meticulously plot and plan. The devils in the details so they say, but when it comes time for the writing, sometimes I lack those key character interactions.

2. RyanSmith86 profile image80
      RyanSmith86posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Our styles do mesh pretty well, her descriptions and word choice is a little more flowery than mine, but it balances out. You could read from scene to scene and not realize someone different wrote each one.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I wrote about half a novel with a man I met online and have never met.  This was years ago and through emails we started talking about writing a story. We wrote in volleys. One of us would write, then send it of via email and the other would pick up where it left off and it was great fun.

We both got busy raising our kids and enjoying our families and so it sort of died off. Once in a while we communicate and talk about starting it up again.

Our styles were similar but where I would kills someone off, he was a more new-age, live and let live kind of guy. I guess I am saying my take on the story was a little more gritty than his.  But my dialogue skills are horrible and his were better than mine.

I am a plotter and planner too --to the point if often interferes with my moving forward with the story.

4. coleikerd profile image83
    coleikerdposted 5 years ago

I am writing a novel and building a world with a friend. It is a fantastic and frustrating experience for each of us. The thing is, you need to care about your creation, and about your friends creation. Plus, you need to be open to accepting new ideas, and make compromises. It also get's crazy if you work on stuff without each other and if both of you think too much.

My dad had a great experience working with a friend. They talked about the basic plot, the beginning and end result, and then alternated chapters. That worked really well and they both had a great experience.

I think the best advice I can give is this:
    1.Talk to your co-author and be sure you are both on the same page.
    2.Create something entirely new so neither of you is deeply attached to existing ideas.
    3.Be open to new ideas, and ready for some great surprises.
    4. Don't over think it.

Good luck and enjoy.

5. onetouchnewlife profile image71
    onetouchnewlifeposted 5 years ago

I'm collaborating with a UK author by the name of Michael Bray. It's a horror story in which we are sending it back and forth across the continent and filling in chapters. It's coming along incredibly well. If you have any interest in reading a sample, I'll provide free beta version for you--and anyone else interested for that matter.

It's about a sink-hole. And something comes out of the sink-hole. Something menacing and dark which ravage the residents of Maple St.

6. BizGenGirl profile image89
    BizGenGirlposted 5 years ago

I haven't officially "co-authored" yet. Everyone whose been interested, pretty much flaked me after we got the main plot down, lol. I am in love with the idea though. Two authors melding together their imaginations. Some of the best books, both fiction and non, have come from collaborations like that. smile

7. cebutouristspot profile image74
    cebutouristspotposted 5 years ago

Am not sure if this count as co-writing.  Back in high school a couple of friend created a world and we world write stories about that world but it need to be approve /revise to fit the theme/setting of the world.  It was kinda fun, we also do a big of rpg on that world which make writing much more enjoyable

MPChrisposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Ya, I think alot of collaborative writing comes from RPGs and such.

2. coleikerd profile image83
      coleikerdposted 5 years agoin reply to this

cebutouristspot, it MAY not count as co-authoring a story, but it surely counts as collaborative writing.

MPChris, It sure did for several amazing authors.

3. RyanSmith86 profile image80
      RyanSmith86posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Star Wars, Star Trek, and the list can go on, about things that started out as fanfiction or an RPG. You just never know what will lead you to the next great story. With or without a partner.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)