jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

What is Ghost Writing?

1. ThompsonPen profile image78
    ThompsonPenposted 4 years ago

What is Ghost Writing?

I think I get the concept of it, but I don't understand doing it, I think, which makes me think that I don't actually understand the concept. It's writing for someone else and essentially allowing them to take full credit of it, correct? Do you do it? Is it worth it? How much do you charge?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

Ghost Writing is of course how you have explained it. I really do not get the concept either. I would have to be paid handsomely to give someone the credit for something that I have written. Apparently that is the allure, the money.

ThompsonPenposted 4 years agoin reply to this

See that is exactly what I have thought, and this gig that has been offered rather seems like it wants to pay me less than what it is worth, but at the same time, could yield good contacts to other jobs at the same time.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I would be cautious because the referrals will expect the same rates as well.

3. Cardisa profile image92
    Cardisaposted 4 years ago

You are right, when you ghostwrite you take no credit and no one knows you were the mastermind behind the work.

I ghostwrite as a means to an end - financially.

It's worth it in that you earn a living and get paid up front as opposed to waiting for your own materials to sell. It's not something I recommend for long term or something I want to do forever.

The charge depends on the type of work you are doing.

My minimum charge:

General articles - $10+ per 500-1000 words
    SEO articles - $20+ per 500 - 1000 words
    Copy (sales page, web copy) $50-100 per 1000 words (depends on what client is willing to pay)

Fiction I charge between $20 - 40 per 1000 words. Repeat clients get discount depending on their budget. Sometimes the cost will be more depending on the client's budget.

The charge may differ from client to client.

ThompsonPenposted 4 years agoin reply to this

wow! Thanks for the breakdown! That was super helpful! smile

4. alancaster149 profile image86
    alancaster149posted 4 years ago

You'd have to be prepared to let your subject take all the credit for your writing. If you're the sort who doesn't mind subliminating your ego to someone else's (a bit like being married).
    You'd have to take exhaustive notes beforehand and be prepared to see your subject throw out sections of your writing until you got it right in their eyes. And you'd have to foresake some of your better ideas.
    Not for me, unless there was some real financial inducement