Christians - Please explain about the Holy Ghost...

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (164 posts)
  1. arksys profile image85
    arksysposted 12 years ago

I'm interested to know more about the Holy Ghost ... I have nothing against the Holy Ghost but once i know more i may have extra questions... please try to reply with quality not quantity.

thanks.

1. Dave Mathews profile image61
      Dave Mathewsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Christians believe that there is one God, but that God has three distinctly seperate persons. God The Father, God The Son, and God The Holy Spirit.

As Christians we believe the Bible. We know that Jesus is God the Son, and we also know that Jesus often referred to God as His Father. Before Jesus returned back to heaven, He told his apostles that He was returning back, but that He would ask His Father to send a comforter to be with them to comfort them and provide them with knowledge, and wisdom. This comforter is The Holy Spirit.

I believe that the Holy Spirit is my conscience trying to guide me to always do the right thing the good thing. Listening to my conscience always guides me away from danger. My conscience also teaches me moral things, so as to make my life lighter easier and more pleasant. Each time I ignore my conscience and try to do or find the easy,fast,lazy ways, ways that are not right, the Holy Spirit permits this, and when I screwup as I sometimes do, he pulls me back on track when I am willing.

The Holy Spirit is a helper,guide,teacher,friend,comforter. The Holy Spirit is the third member of God. I hope this helps you to understand.

2. peterxdunn profile image60
      peterxdunnposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The word ghost comes from the Germanic 'geist' - through the Old English 'gast, ghast'. Nowhere in the Jewish Old Testament is there any mention of a holy ghost. This was a pagan concept: the Greeks and Romans thought that when people died they became 'shades': shadows of their former selves, who live the underworld of Hades. The pagan tribes indulged in ancestor worship and sometimes consulted the dead (necromancy). There is no equivalent in Jewish traditions.

The word 'spirit' comes from the latin 'spiritus': it means 'moving air' nothing more. The Greek word that was translated into spiritus was 'pneuma': which - in turn - means moving air - nothing more. The original Hebrew word would have been 'ruah' or 'ruach': which means 'moving air' or 'breath'. In the Old Testament God brought Adam to life by breathing into his nostrils. He also bestowed Samson's strength by breathing on him. So the 'Spirit of the Lord' means the breath of God: ie a gift to be bestowed upon the chosen. It has got nothing to do a non corporeal entity that survives death. All the 'evil spirits' mentioned in the OT were sent by God to torment people. The Greeks once said, 'Those whom the Gods wish to destroy they first make mad.'

The concept of the 'ghost' was incorporated into Christianity to make it easier to win over, and convert pagans to the new faith. The early Christians built their churches on the sites of old pagan temples for the same reason.

1. Dave Mathews profile image61
        Dave Mathewsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The word "Ghost" may translate from the Germanic but it is also Hebrew.  There are 8 references to "Ghost" in the Old Testament beginning at Genesis:25:8.

Also in the New Testament there are multiple references of the "Holy Ghost" as well as Holy Spirit.
        You can mock the Holy Ghost or Holy Spirit if you choose to do so but I would not reccommend it.

1. Evolution Guy profile image59
          Evolution Guyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I mock them myself. Why do you not recommend that exactly?

Mock. mock, mock.

2. peterxdunn profile image60

Hi Dave Mathews

I did of course mean the original Old Testament (the Torah) - written around 500 bc - in Hebrew. This was translated into Greek around 200/100 bc. Then Latin around the 200 to 300 ad mark. It didn't make it into English until the fourteen-hundreds (or thereabouts).

With each successive translation bits got left out and other bits got added. What you call the Bible today is a lot different to the original. And - what is more - the original OT underwent countless 'revisions' by successive generations of Jewish scholars/scribes before the Greeks got their hands on it. This is a well known fact among classically educated academics.

1. Cagsil profile image70
            Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey Peter,

Don't use facts. They won't be believed. lol

1. earnestshub profile image83
              earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol
              ain't that the truth! smile

2. arksys profile image85
            arksysposted 12 years agoin reply to this

thanks for the info Peter.

1. peterxdunn profile image60

I remembered that the practice of 'revising' the OT: by Jewish Scholars, was called 'midrash'. This actually entailed filling in gaps in the text of the OT. For instance: where a name was mentioned once - without a story attached - midrash scholars would actually make up a story to go with the name. Some of the guys became quite famous and their names are still known to biblical scholars to this day.

This is why claims that the Bible is 'the word of God' are patently absurd. These stories were written by men. Fact.

Also - if you were able to go back in time and ask your question: about the holy ghost, of a midrash scholar he wouldn't have a clue as to what you were talking about.

1. Shaisty-Chase-Tea profile image59
                Shaisty-Chase-Teaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

peterxdunn, can you explain the parable of the ugly duckling?... ... ... because i think you write too fancy to be a christian

@peter - I do believe that the Bible is not the word of God anymore, and has been changed by people.

I believe in the Quran and it talks about the Holy Spirit being sent as a support for Jesus. So I do firmly believe in the existence of the Holy Spirit. for me, It might not be the same as what the christians percieve it to be. I'm still researching.

@Dave - thanks for your answer, so you believe that the Holy Spirit is alive. My question to you - Is the Holy Spirit alive with every Christian or with every human?

@ Peter - I think you are correct in saying the concept of the Holy Spirit was not in the old testament because according to my beliefs(Islam) The Holy Spirit was sent down by God as a help for Jesus, at a later stage.

I'm still trying to figure out the whole concept of how the Holy Spirit helped Jesus. Who better to ask than a Christian.

@Evolution Guy - please stop spreading hatred ... there's enough of it in the world. If you have something useful to say then say it. If not then please don't comment.

Hatred? Oh - you mean the concept of hell and eternal punishment for not believing nonsense?

That would be you.

making fun of someone or someone's belief does create hate, maybe you've been on the making fun side in your life therefore haven't felt the bitterness, that your words create.

this topic does not discuss the hell or etenal punishment ... it's purely discussing the Holy Spirit. once again ... if you have something useful to say about the Holy Spirit then say something or stay out of it.

I thought the only unforgivable sin was to deny the holy spirit - for which one is burned in hell eternally?

Do you not think that is hateful?

it's not hateful ... it's a punishment.

i'll try giving you an example in this world ... lets take a rapist or a serial killer ... do you think they are put behind bars because of hate or because of what they did to innocent people? I personally don't think its because of hate ... (there is some hate involved after they are declared guilty) so its  basically a punishment ..(  in order to keep the "streets clean" and people safe. unfortunately humans make a lot of errors and sometimes the wrong people suffer, sometimes there is corruption involved and the guilty are set free. that's a whole different story.

but looking at this scenario ... the police says do not rape or murder otherwise you'll face life in prison or whatever the length is for rape. then, I can say that the police are just hateful and full of shit and i will mock them because all they know is hate and how to put people in jail and shoot at people ... so screw the police and screw the system i will rape and murder as much as i want.

But does that sound right to you?

Everyone on this earth has a good chance to go to heaven ... no one on this earth can declare that anyone will go to heaven or hell because no one knows what is in the heart ... God will make no errors in His judgement... He will judge by your intentions and not your actions.

Believe or do not believe the choice is yours. Yours is your end and mine will be mine.

Ah - so punishing some one is not a hateful thing to do? How odd. Now you speak for what god will do? lol

Believing is not a choice. Your beliefs are nonsense - yet you think I will be punished for not believing? And now you say god will punish me for my intentions, not my actions after trying to explain that punishment for actions is what god does?

See how you speak contradictions?

there are many people in this world who have killed and have been punished for it. however their intention was not to kill anyone, but it happened. 

in this world its all about actions ... in the next its intentions. (according to my beliefs).

it's not a contradiction at all. i was giving an example for you in this world so you can understand what i'm trying to say. didn't work but all good.

if believing is not a choice then what is it?

I would like to know where you are coming from (direction of your thoughts) ... please explain to me your beliefs or understanding of everything life, how it came to be etc ... what is behind all of creation etc... i have an open mind and i'm listening (or reading) ...

3. LeslieAdrienne profile image71
      LeslieAdrienneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There are many hubs that speak in depth about the person or the Holy Spirit. In the forum you will only get surface info. The forum will give you a few answers, but if you want to go deeper, you need to do a search through the  Hub Pages search engine.... Hope this helps.... big_smile

thanks Leslie... good advice. i can see this place turn into a battlefield like most other religious forums.

4. MickeySr profile image79
      MickeySrposted 12 years agoin reply to this

arksys,

It seems to me the starting point on this is, do you (anyone) believe there is a spiritual reality beyond our own perceptible material reality? Our eyes, ears, etc, supply us with information about the environment we find ourselves in, namely, the material world - the question is do we think there is a world, a reality, that exists but our senses (eyes, ears, etc) do not supply us information regarding?

If there is only us, here in the material world, then there is no sound explanation of how and why there is anything that exists at all - if however there is a spiritual reality beyond our capacity to perceive, that would explain a lot. Now, if in that spiritual reality there is a single infinite, eternal, divine being who was interested to reveal Himself to us, here in the material world, we have to consider the variety of claims made to be that revelation. My own personal investigation and experiences have led me to count Jesus of Nazareth and the Bible to be that revelation of the infinite, eternal, divine being to us.

In the Biblical revelation that infinite, eternal, divine being identifies Himself as a spirit, as, in fact, the unique and singularly infinite, eternal, divine Spirit (that, in fact, is why the reality beyond our own material reality is understood to be a spiritual reality - because it is the reality of the infinite, eternal, divine Spirit's reality).  We are further told (in His own revelation of Himself) that this Spirit either manifests Himself or simply exists as one being of three distinct but not separate persons, namely, the infinite & eternal Father, the infinite & eternal Son, and the infinite & eternal Holy Spirit.

In our material world this, of course, doesn't add up - but, again, the spiritual reality is not perceptible to us. Cutting to the chase (if it's not too late), the Holy Spirit is that aspect, effort, and/or person of God that gives us spiritual life and unites us to the Father through the Son.

MickeySr

There are perfectly sound, rational and reasonable explanations as to why existence exists. Please stop lying about that.

There is no need for majik to have been done.

Sorry.

1. MickeySr profile image79

Evolution Guy,

Asserting that someone is lying when they simply don't see things just the same as you, particularly on a matter that neither has proof or even first-hand information regarding, demonstrates a lack of the kind of sound, rational, and reasonable approach you fault others for not practicing. And again; you insert the notion of magic having been done, I said nothing of the sort, and then you fault me for advancing what you yourself inserted into the discussion.

This I will assert; I've yet to hear anything I count to be close to a sound, rational, or reasonable explanation of how the most simple, basic form of any manner of material can be eternally self-existent or spontaneously 'pop' into existence. Without being a product or consequence of some other material, how and why does the most simple, basic form of any manner of material suddenly come to exist?

Please notice; I've not merely called you a liar, nor have I just announced you to be wrong - I said "I've yet to hear" and "I count to be" and I asked you about your own understanding of the issue . . . that would be an example of a sound, rational, and reasonable (and civil, courteous, even friendly) approach.

MickeySr

How well do you understand Quantum Physics please? Because Quantum physics has some pretty solid, reasonable and rational explanations as to how existence appeared spontaneously.

No majik needed.

And yes - you say god created everything from nothing. This is majik.

I respectfully suggest that - having decided god must have created everything - no alternative explanations will sound reasonable or sound to you. This does not make them unsound or unreasonable. Just because you cannot understand physics. wink

Also - you seem to be arguing that nothing can be created without being the product of some consequence. But then you say something can be created without? Confused - perhaps you could explain that contradiction.

Evolution Guy,

If you start-out assuming there is no possibility of a spiritual reality outside of our own material reality, then you are asserting that material can be created out of nothing - that, it seems to me, is an unreasonable and unsound assertion. I start-out assuming nothing, but considering any option before me . . . when I consider the option that the reality my senses inform me of must be the only reality that exists and so the material that exists in my world must have been created out of nothing, that appears to me contradictory of all else my senses inform me of regarding the reality I exist in - when I consider the option that there is a reality outside of the reality my senses inform me of, and that the material in my own world could have been created by some action from within that other reality, since I don't know the physics of that reality, that seems to me a far more reasonable and sound option than material being created within my own reality against all the physics observable within that reality. 

You assert that if God made everything out of nothing, that is magic - you are assigning our realities physics to a reality you have no information on, you are working on nothing but your own assumptions . . . your like a medieval peasant declaring that a photograph is witchcraft. Just because you don't have experience or observable knowledge about something doesn't mean it can only be magic.

You also assert that I cannot understand physics - you operate on assumption after assumption . . . it's easy to imagine that you are simply right and others are simply foolish to not agree with you when your own assumptions are used as accusations against those who see things differently than you do.

I have made no such assumptions.

You are the one claiming majik as reality - like a medieval peasant. How is making something from nothing and saying a god dunnit any sort of explanation for anything? It is not.

How is your assumption that there must be a god who does majik and makes stuff from nothing anything other that superstitious nonsense?

Clearly you do not understand physics if you think an Invisible Super Being made everything from nothing.

I am a very spiritual person. But - spirituality is a wholly internal and subjective experience.

You do not have some secret knowledge that I am not understanding., You are claiming majik and lying that it is something else that - I simply cannot grasp. See how offensive that is?

There is no reality outside of reality - that is an oxymoron and you made it up. LOL

You don't know the physics of the reality that is not observable? What nonsense - majik in fact. Please stop insulting my intelligence by claiming the existence of the impossible as being anything other than majik.

Evolution Guy,

I am not at all claiming or suggesting that magic is real or any part of reality . . . magic has to do with the notion that there is some secret, known only through initiation, set of processes or actions that operate and cause the effect of resisting or bending the rules of natural law - that's not what I'm saying or suggesting at all.

Again, it's your view that appears a superstitious reaction, like a medieval peasant looking at a microscope, you are calling something you just can't quite imagine 'magic', because your belief system refuses to allow you the consideration that perhaps there are things your own experience and capacity to reason are stumped by. If I told you there is life on another planet that is not like us at all, that vegetable not animal life evolved and that space carrots have built great societies beyond any science we've yet developed, would you decry that as ludicrous and declare that walking and talking and thinking creatures on other planets that are not just like us is magic?!

You are working on your own giant assumptions and imagining that you are practicing some manner of realism, that you are scientifically dealing with evidence - your own limited assumptions are simply making you narrow-minded and arrogant. "You don't know the physics of the reality that is not observable? What nonsense" - you know everything do you, there is nothing yet to learn that is not already understood by you, if it's not something that you personally have experienced then it couldn't possibly exist?! Again, how is your approach to what you've not personally experienced or considered or imagined not like a medieval peasant marveling at the 'magic' of a toaster? You, not me, you call it 'magic', declare it impossible, and assert I must be lying - all because you've never seen such a thing before.

See how you are saying that majik is real?

Biblical revelation = majik.

Spiritual reality = majik.

lol

Goddunnit and it was something we cannot measure or perceive or understand but - it really wasn't majik? It was goddunnit?

Majik! Like wot the bronze age peasants will understand!

2. sarasotadui profile image62
              sarasotaduiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

even scientists believed the existence of God, the Supreme Being that could explain every unfathomable things... Why don't you?

Who told you that? lol

1. sarasotadui profile image62
                  sarasotaduiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I learned it in my physics class.... How about you? Does anybody never tell you that?

I would love to know more about a physics class that teaches what no other does!

or......is this yet another lie for jesus?

2. Cagsil profile image70

Actually, I would find that statement too hard to be of any sort of truth. Only because, most scientists don't believe in a god or a supreme being, but rather a higher power of some sort.

If any scientist believes in a god existing, then I wouldn't trust their work, because they most likely are not being objective to begin with. wink And, please don't attempt to justify that many scientists have claimed to believe in a god, even though they do their work, because I'll tell you right now that they were lying to whomever asked them, for the pure and simple reason that they didn't want people truly knowing what they believed.

For the pure and simple fact, anyone who claims to not believe in a god, are persecuted worse than those who do believe and every single intelligent individual who has ever graced science has seen it done throughout history.

@cagsil - would you call a Phd in biochemistry or a Phd in chemistry a scientist?

That's not the point and you know that's not the point of my post. Nice way of twisting away from the point.

thanks for answering MickeySr .... i have an idea of what you're trying to say ... will get back to you on this soon.

@Evolution guy - thanks for you opinion.

5. webupdates profile image57
      webupdatesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Before anything else, as you first read my explanations about Joly Spirit, May the Holy spirit will let you understand all the things that you are desired to understand, for it is the will of God to let you know Him as our God the father, the Holy Spirit and Jesus Christ,the son of God.

Holy Spirit is the spirit or the connection of God to us as a human beings. God sent us Holy Spirit to let us understand what is the will of God for us in our life here on earth and for the eternity together with His kingdom in the heaven.

Holy Spirit teaches you how to become good, wise and a true person in the front of God. He convicts you for every bad things that you have done and let you understand the good between the bad things here on earth. If the Holy Spirit is within you, you can able to speak without fear to the people and able to let them know our God. The Holy Spirit gives you boldness in your words and mostly, it dictates you what to do in your life.

Holy Spirit is the spirit that comes from God the father and he helps us to understand and fulfill our mission and purpose here on earth. Did you know what is your purpose in your life? What is your heart's desire that has connection to God? Would you able to follow it? What are the hindrances that stops you to do your purpose in your LIFE?

Try to ask those questions in yourself. After that please pray for yourself so that you may able to understand the things that you want to understand in your life. Praying is a conversation with God, ask God about Holy Spirit to move in your life, so that you may fulfill God's desire for your life.

Also, please read the Bible everyday for the Bible gives instructions and informations about God and His connection with us. Take heart your desires so that you will discover more of it in your life.

God bless you and May the Holy Spirit be with you to understand this all!

thank you for your reply ... i'm getting the idea of the Holy Spirit now... I am actually a muslim, and was reading the Quran when I read about the Holy Spirit and Jesus... then started this tread, to further understand the concepts.

thank you once again for meaking it clearer for me.

1. webupdates profile image57
          webupdatesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I don't even know that you are a Muslim. Even though, still I am fixed ion my advice for you. All of us are human beings and we have the rights to search answers for all our questions. About your question, I will suggest on thing for you. This suggestion I was prayed when I know that you were a Muslim. I prayed for you that may The Holy Spirit teach you in all the things that you have asked for about Him. I pray for you that you could read a BIBLE for understanding all of your questions. I mean not only your Quran but also try to read (NIV) New International Version Bible or King James Bible. May the Spirit of the Lord be with you as you read it. Be strong in the Lord and God Bless you!

Thanks for the wishes webupdates... I will definitely read the Bible as well to try and understand everything more clearly. thanks for mentioning the NIV ... i'll keep that in mind.

6. lizzieBoo profile image60
      lizzieBooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's Holy and it's a ghost.

lol

7. heavenbound5511 profile image63
      heavenbound5511posted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Holy Spirit/Ghost is God's spirit that comes and fills up the one that has accepted Jesus as their Lord. The Bible says how more of the Holy Spirit will I give to those who ask? So we are to ask for it in Jesus name.
      Having the Holy Spirit of God's allows us to be able to follow and know God's voice and leading. When God's Holy Spirit comes unto a person or is stirred up if feels like surges of heat- and this same heat will come out of the hands of the praying believer as they pray for someones healing.
      God's spirit allows/causes and helps one to come into deeper revelation of him. His spirit the Holy Spirit/ghost causes us to be able to discern from good and evil- truth and lie also. This is how when the bible says that living waters flows out of the believers belly- God word anointed by His Spirit- the person is led by God and not this world and it's spirit.We can have God's peace that passes all understanding because we have his spirit & this world can not take it from us.

@heavenbound - thanks for sharing ... very interesting, have you personally felt the surges of heat when praying or healing?

1. heavenbound5511 profile image63

Yes I can feel God's Spirit which feels like heat surging through my arms and hands- sometimes my whole body as I pray putting my hands on a person.Sometimes also when I touch a person's picture on the internet also and pray I can feel God's spirit stirring up causing heat like surges to come through my hand that is touching the pic of the person.
          Also I can feel God's Power/ Spirit flow through me anytime I was prayed over in the same manner. Sometimes God's spirit is so heavy/strong that it makes rock to say on my feet a little while I am standing.
          During praise and worship with my hands up every so often my hands feel like electrified as if they are light in weight-as if they are being held up with God's Spirit/power on/ in them.Hard to explain but there it is smile.

i know these things are hard to explain ... i still find it very interesting to hear things like this directly from the person who experiences it, and i ask a lot of questions... i want to get as much insight as i can. personal accounts are the best.

i just want to share with you  .. that in my experience i've seen a family member who felt a burning sensation in the legs at all times, and it spread throughout the whole body during prayers (islamic prayers) ... but this internal fire was a painful type which was declared by the spiritualists as being possessed by an evil spirit and was later removed.

so my question to you is .. does your heat or fire feel painful? do you control the flow of heat/energy?

I do understand the light and heavy feelings you are talking about.

thanks for sharing all this info... loving it. smile

No this heat doesn't hurt it is peaceful- it is from God. This is the healing, delivering, restoring power of God promised in the name of Jesus. These signs follow those who believe in Jesus name they will speak with new tongues, cast out demons and lay hands on the sick and they shall recover.
              It's cool I don't mind answering questions that are ask out of good intention.

yep so this is a different kind of heat. great stuff... thanks for sharing once again. smile

2. A Troubled Man profile image58
            A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Where does it state that God's spirit and heat surges in your body are the same thing? How do you know that?

I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he(Jesus) that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear:he(Jesus) shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with FIRE:Matthew 3:11

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
                A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"With fire - This expression has been variously understood. Some have supposed that John refers to the afflictions and persecutions with which men would be tried under the Gospel; others, that the word "fire" means judgment or wrath. According to this latter interpretation, the meaning is that he would baptize a portion of mankind - those who were willing to be his followers - with the Holy Spirit, but the rest of mankind - the wicked - with fire; that is, with judgment and wrath. Fire is a symbol of vengeance. See Isaiah 5:24; Isaiah 61:2; Isaiah 66:24. If this is the meaning, as seems to be probable, then John says that the ministry of the Messiah would be far more powerful than his was. It would be more searching and testing; and they who were not suited to abide the test would be cast into eternal fire."

1. A.S.K.Preacher profile image59
                  A.S.K.Preacherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A more intense study of what the Bible says on this reveals the purification of souls. Tried by fire referrs to the spiritual revelation of Jesus in the believer. 1 Corinthians 3:10-15 It is what will happen at the end of life - end of judgment - I need to do more research. This is the end result of the spirit. Not an expression.

8. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Holy Ghost is the angel Gabriel; it is not a god.

9. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Holy Ghost is not a god; it is only an angel messenger of the Creator God; it is the church who made a god out of an angel erroneously.

thanks paarsurrey... I think it's Gabriel too, but also trying to understand what the christians believe it to be.

2. Disturbia profile image62
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

The mystery of the Holy Trinity always made me think that God had multiple personality disorder, but now I think the Holy Spirit is like God's soul. Of course I haven't come to terms with God being his own son and his own father yet, but of course that's why the Holy Trinity is one of the great MYSTERIES of faith that our finite and limited minds can't comprehend.

I would agree... I have been reading the meaning of the Quran lately and it mentions the Holy Ghost was sent as help for Jesus. which is why i would further like to know the concept of the Holy Spirit. The Quran does also mention to stop saying "3".

LOL- That is not what it says at all. Still - lying for Jesus is OK - right? LOLOLO

Al-Quran
          Surah 4 - Al-Nisa Verse 170.

Read it and find out what it says yourself. Some translations say Trinity others say 3.

I am not interested in what your majik book says. I thought this was about the Kristian majik book - not the Muslim majik book. wink Nothing about your Invisible Super Being sending the Holy Ghost to help Jesus is there?

I also thought I had to read it in the original Arabic in any case? Otherwise the majik is gone - not so?

But - while we are on about hatred - would I be correct in saying that your majik book instructs you to murder anyone who leaves the Muslim faith?

In Islam - is denying the holy spirit an unforgivable sin as well? Will I be burned for all eternity for doing this?

There is a part in the Quran that states the Holy Spirit was sent to help Jesus which is why i asked the question in the first place.

you can read in arabic or english ... reading in arabic carries a reward but understanding the book carries a greater reward.

No you would not be correct in saying that we are instructed to murder anyone who leaves the faith. the Quran does talk about a believer turning into a disbeliever and back to a believer again.

I would say it is a sin for sure if we deny the Holy Spirit, because the Quran is the words of God and it would be equivalent of denying the word of God. Although God is merciful any may forgive you for it. therefore i have no authority to say if you will be burned or not.

Oh - so it doesn't matter if I believe or not? I still get the free virgins?

I have read enough of the Quran not to want to read any more. I don't believe in majik and stoning women for adultery.

1. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image59
                  Jo_Goldsmith11posted 12 years agoin reply to this

@ Evolution Guy,  are you trying to spell *M-A-G-I-C*?  You have repeatedly spelled it * majik*. Did we miss something in class? I think you need to spew your hate somewhere else. You leave a dark cloud of negative and propaganda. Say something constructive and useful or please go somewhere else, or start a site for yourself and those who wish to hear the hate you spew!

"Majik" is the olde fashioned way of spelling that word. Perfectly appropriate to use with people who believe bronze age myths - wouldn't you say?

"You will burn in hell for all eternity if you don't believe what I say," and "you simply do not understand what god is," is perfectly acceptable love? Yet when I say god is the same as majik - this is spewing hate? How is being honest and rational spewing hate?

Explain yourself.

Thanks

2. profile image0
                    Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Some may go to extremes, but honestly. Can you blame them? Remove your shoe and try on one that is forced to listen to a religion you consider outside of the bounds of reason. Imagine yourself surrounded and outnumbered by that religion implying that you were outside of God's grace. Imagine knowing you were hated by that majority because you didn't buy into their belief. After a while, given the freedom to speak your mind; would you conduct yourself any differently? Probably not.

@evolution guy - it doesn't matter to me if you believe or not. i'm more worried about getting myself into paradise. i'm not saved by anyone (like christians belief). I will have to pay for all my sins... and i may not make it to paradise ... only the true believers will make it there.

So - I will be punished? As only true believers - like Brenda? - will make it there.

You do realize you keep contradicting yourself - right? So far you have told me that your Invisible Super Being punishes based on actions, but only judges based on intent - and punishing people by burning them for all eternity for not believing nonsense is not hatred - and it makes no difference if I believe the nonsense you believe, but I will not be going to paradise because only true believers - like Brenda who thinks Jesus saved her by not dying - will go to Paradise. lol

Have you even read this majik book for yourself - or are you cutting and pasting from the Internet?

2. earnestshub profile image83

Qur’an 5:51 “Muslims, do not make friends with any but your own people.”

Qur’an 5:72 “They are surely infidels who say; ‘God is the Christ, the Messiah, the son of Mary.”

Qur’an 8:12 cp. 8:60 “Instill terror into the hearts of the unbelievers”; “smite above their necks and smite all their finger-tips off them”

Qur’an 2:191 “...kill the disbelievers wherever we find them”

Qur’an 9.33 He it is Who sent His Apostle with guidance and the religion of truth, that He might cause it to prevail over all religions.

Yes it's all about love and forgiveness. lol

Let me guess.... I quoted "out of context" right?

definitely out of context earnesthub smile

some of these lines refer to when muslims were going to war. lol.

i think you did mention in a previous forum not to talk out of context.

you also missed the part in chapter two where it said something on the lines of "I told you not to kill one another but you did".

I knew it!

The same argument is used to hide the crud in the bible.

The elephant in the room for both tomes is that your text clearly shows a neurotic process, whether contextual or not, and religionists choose to overlook that reality which I find to be breathtakingly dishonest, ignorant, lying, or all three.

2. A.S.K.Preacher profile image59

Deuteronomy 6:4 * Mark 12:29 * Galatians 3:20 These scripture all say God is one. Jesus emphasizes this in John 10:38 when He says to believe the healings He did because, "He is in the Father and the Father is in Him."
        The Bible says we are temples where the Holy Spirit resides. 1 Corinthians 3:16 It also says, "In Him we live and move and have our being." Acts 17:28
        The whole world is in the Lord. We cannot survive without His loving grace. Yes He even keeps alive those who deny Him all in hope they would see how they believe and feel is wrong. By changing their minds and seeking forgivness - ALL is forgiven if they continue in their faith. Matthew 5:45 * Colossians 1:23
        Those who believe in Him are both in Him and He in them. Because we seek Him out and keep His word in our hearts and minds - He is in us.
        Because Jesus did the work that the Father sent Him to do; Jesus was in the Father and the Father was in Him. Likewise; we are in Jesus and Jesus is in us; if we continue in the faith.
        This is the best way I can sum it up: He is all around us, keeps us alive and permeates our whole being. In effect we are in Him.
        We in turn are "in" Him when we seek to find Him in His Word which is life. John 6:63
        He has given us life if we do this because the Father has the ability to give life and has given that ability to Jesus. John 5:26
        Now Jesus has ascended to the right hand of God and it is the comforter "Holy Ghost" that does His will here on earth. John 14:15-17 * John 14:23-26 * John 16:7-16

thanks for sharing @preacher.

I can understand where you are trying to convey.

I've been doing some of my own research too in the Quran, and would like to share some of my understandings with you.

I found that the Holy Spirit in the Quran who helped Jesus is pointing towards to the angel Jibra'il (Gabriel). I'm still not sure how Jibra'il helped Jesus but will do some more research on that, and can share with you if you like.

From your quotes in the Bible, the following comes to my mind (according to Islam)

God made man from clay - then God blew His spirit into the clay and Adam came to life. therefore every human whether a believer or non-believer has the gift of God's spirit in him/her.

Firstly, I would like to ask if it's described similarly in the Bible?

If similar, then

do you think the spirit being talked about in the Bible, is God's gifted spirit that everyone has?

Yes. In that respect we are similar. There is nothing alive that was not made by God through Jesus. The Gift of the Holy Spirit is given to those who accept Jesus as their Lord and SAVIOR. We need a savior to keep us from hell. We cannot do that on our own. Jesus was the only perfect sacrifice.
            Now this Gift is more than being alive. Since Jesus has the ability to give life He has given it to His believers as a seal of what they will inherit, IF they do not give up. This Gift of life that is in the Messiah also has the benefits of certain other Gifts, but this is the simple truth of it.

Thank you very much @preacher ... you have been a great help in this topic.

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's not really that God is his own son and his own father in the way you seem to perceive it....haha.

It's that God manifested Himself in distinct but inseparable ways.  Jesus "came forth" from the Father, sent by the Father.   Jesus originated within the Father.   The Holy Spirit came from and was "sent" by Jesus.   They are all One, just sent for distinct specific purposes to mankind so that mankind could have a better and deeper understanding of God's Love and Judgement.
      Not separate.  Distinct but Spiritually inseparable;  distinct but inseparable functions.
      I like to compare the Trinity to Three-in-One Oil;  same container of oil, with many different applications.  wink

hi Brenda - you mentioned that the 3 were sent for distinct specific purposes... can you explain the exact purpose of the Holy Spirit, why was the Holy Spirit sent down? Is the Holy Spirit still on earth?

1. profile image0
          Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, the Holy Spirit lives in the hearts of all people who are saved (born-again) Christians.

He is the Spirit of God/Jesus.  He IS God, just as the Father is God.  I don't wanna make that too complicated but it's always good to say it.

The Holy Spirit was sent by Jesus after Jesus ascended back to Heaven. (Even though that same Spirit was of course alive in the hearts of some men already, for it is by Faith that we receive the Holy Spirit, as some of the Old Testament prophets spoke "by the Holy Ghost")........

Jesus said the Comforter (the Holy Spirit) would be sent to His disciples.  Comfort, assurance that they were children of God, to help them, to guide them into "all Truth",  to convince them of their sins and allow repentance and forgiveness.   That's simply the Spirit of God/Christ.    Jesus sent the Spirit because He would no longer be with the disciples in the flesh after He ascended to Heaven.   

The Holy Ghost (Holy Spirit) persuades, or tries to persuade people to come to the Lord.  He doesn't force anyone.  He works through a person's conscience and their hearts.   Anyone can "quench the Spirit"'s influence in their lives by continuing to deny/defy God.

The Bible is another example of the work of the Holy Spirit.

thanks Brenda.

'Spirit' comes from the Latin 'Spiritus'. It means 'wind' (as in the wind that blows), 'moving air' or 'breath'. I'm sorry to have to inform you of this sad fact, but, you people haven't got a clues as to what you are actually talking about.

Or in other words, there is a lot of hot air around here.? smile

Yes - but from which end of the digestive tract that hot air originates I'm not too sure.

Me, I'd take a guess anyway! lol

3. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yep!    it is stuff like this that they argued about when they put the bible together back in 326 AD.

kinda like they do today in politics. 

Get um fighting about ther little sh-t and they ain't paying attention to the things that really count.

They got away with it, way back then .....   they still getting away with it today.

thanks for you opinion Jerami - but honestly it was not required.

3. A.S.K.Preacher profile image59
    A.S.K.Preacherposted 12 years ago

Imagine three parts of the same being. The Father being reasoning judgment (mind). The Son being compassionate forgiveness (heart) and the Holy Spirit as the work force the creative power of the thought and feeling. John 16:13 The Holy Spirit does not "speak of Himself" but whatever He hears from our Lord.

1. DoubleScorpion profile image77
      DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Explain please? If it is three parts of the same. Then why does Jesus talk to his Father (seperate), the Holy Spirit speaks from what he is told from God (seperate). How can this be a sigular person. If Jesus is to sit at the right hand of God, that implies at least 2 persons. And if the Holy Spirit only speaks from what it is told to speak, implies a third entity. This sounds like three seperate beings. A tribunal of sorts. Each with a different function or purpose. And I am not picking, I am curious of how you view this, please.

@Preacher - I understand your concept of the trinity. but as dave mentioned above, is the Holy Spirit still on earth? or did the Holy Spirit leave with Jesus.

Sorry I am so late in answering you. I have to come into town to answer. Yes the Holy Spirit is still on earth. The Holy Spirit was sent by Jesus to be with His followers since Jesus was ascending to the Father.

@Preacher - thank you very much for your replies and your time. they have helped me a lot.

Gob Bless.

3. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image59
      Jo_Goldsmith11posted 12 years agoin reply to this

@ A.S.K. Preacher...I love the way the Spirit moves in you to express it so beautifully and understandable! I thank you so much for sharing *all* of God's truth. Because this world is filled with hate, anger, suffering, hurting and on and on. The light that is in us, helps those who are looking for it. I know I try to live each day with love, forgiveness and humbleness in my heart. I try to make the light in me shine so bright that it can reach your light. We can keep spreading it this way. Then soon, there will be no longer darkness. And all we will have is Light! smile Blessings & Peace! smile

Thank you. It is one of the ways we have to learn. That is to give in to the Spirit's prompting. It is a blessing for someone else to see and acknowledge the Spirit is working through me. Thank you again. Pray for the continued work of the Spirit in us all. God Bless.

4. A.S.K.Preacher profile image59
    A.S.K.Preacherposted 12 years ago

Your mind thinks and does its part, but it is not the heart neither can it survive without the heart. Reverse that thinking using the heart. The movement of your hands, arms, legs, speech etc. would not be able to do their job without the heart and mind, yet they do not give the orders but are subject to the influences of the heart and mind.
    Imagine our conversation being accomplished in thought waves rather than cumbersome language or written word. This converstation would last miliseconds rather than minutes. It is this type of twist on perspective that is involved. We cannot fully understand what the meaning is of this. The Bible says that. It is beyond our scope of understanding, but understand we will if we accept Jesus.

LOLOL

5. Richard Fernandez profile image63
    Richard Fernandezposted 12 years ago

Definition of a paradox from dictionary.com

1.a statement or proposition that seems self-contradictory or absurd but in reality expresses a possible truth.

2.a self-contradictory and false proposition.

3.any person, thing, or situation exhibiting an apparently contradictory nature.

4.an opinion or statement contrary to commonly accepted opinion.

Pick whichever one you like.

6. Mansoor Saeed profile image60
    Mansoor Saeedposted 12 years ago

Hi all

who is Holy Spirit ?
    is he Gabriel, the leader of angels ?

1. crazyhorsesghost profile image70
      crazyhorsesghostposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In the Christian Bible it is taught that their is a Holy Trinity. God The Father, God The Son, and God The Holy Ghost.

If you want to really understand the Christian concept of the Holy Ghost read the Book Of Acts in the New Testament.

Be careful Crazyhorsesghost.

I just read you on another thread, claiming to be raised Catholic. It's below:

Yet, you mentioned the "Christian" bible?

There are plenty of people on here claiming to be "Christian" and will be glad to tell you that Catholics and Christians are different, and hold different beliefs.

Not to mention, some- Christianity? Don't agree either. lol

thanks crazyhorseghost for pointing me in the right direction.

@Cagsil - maybe crazyhorseghost knew he was talking to a muslim and found it appropriate to call it the Christian Bible. It's not a big deal.

1. crazyhorsesghost profile image70
          crazyhorsesghostposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was raised Catholic but I have returned to my Native American Religion and believe more in it today than anything else. It is based on Nature and do no harm to anything unless there is a real reason to do so. Live and let live.

I see Religion doing much more harm than good. The white mans religion was forced upon the Native American people and their religion was allowed to die out. I am working on a book to hopefully bring a revival of Native American religion to the Sioux, Cheyenne, and Crow peoples.

I have read all the Bibles and the Koran and have respect for them. But I have come full circle and wish to return to the roots of my people the Sioux.

I was only pointing out what was said and what others do say. Nothing more, nothing less. What religion you are is for you. It has no place in other people's life.

I just wanted to give Crazyhorsesghost, a warning. That's all. YOU have nothing to do with my statement(which I addressed him).

7. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years ago

Earnest, CAGSIL & Evolution Guy, please stop tormenting the children, they know not what they do smile

There is real truth in that Kanga. lol

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

8. profile image53
    widow10posted 12 years ago

@arksys

I started life as a  Catholic but after I married I found myself much more comfortable in my husband's faith, Judaism. There is a misconception that the Christian Old Testament is the Jewish Torah. That is not the case. There are several differences, but the major ones are the order of the first five books of Moses known to Jews as the Torah. The other major difference is the inclusion of additional writings that Jews are taught are subject to arguement so are to be taken "with a grain of salt."
    I'm not an expert in religion by any means but I believe the struggle you are having with grasping the concept of the Holy Ghost stems from the fact that when the Prophet Muhammad began his writings, the Catholic Bible had not been written yet. The writing of the followers of Jesus were not yet organized into an official religion but spead the word as Jesus did. Each teacher used his own way of speaking which was interpreted by the people differently. The 3 as you see, is the Trinity of which the Holy Ghost (changed to  Holy Spirit in recent times) is part. The Holy Ghost appears to the Apostles (after Jesus ascends into heaven) to give them the courage to spread the teaching of Jesus. 

@evolution guy

It's you tone not your words that sounds like hatred to a hard core believer. My husband taught me that we must all live in this world and believe in something. We believe in one true G-d, not a Trinity, but he would never belittle anyone for their beliefs; whether they believed in the Christian, Allah, or quantum physics/Darwin. Maybe a religious discussion is not your strong suit.

Aww - thanks for the condescending tone. Think of me as a mirror for you believers.

Odd you don't like it.

You go around preaching and being condescending of all other beliefs - and you say you are behaving in the way you wish to be treated.

Odd that you don't like it back at cha.

Or even learn anything from it. wink

1. Richard Fernandez profile image63
        Richard Fernandezposted 12 years agoin reply to this

O boy the argument continues. How about this: we all believe whatever we want, as long as we do not impose those views on others. Not to pick on Christians but this includes legislation. No one will ever be able to disprove the existence of a God so there is no point in trying to convince people otherwise, whether or not its true.

Who is imposing views? I thought this was a discussion for understanding what the Holy Spirit was.

@widow - thanks for your contribution ... it makes the most sense so far ... smile

@richard - that's the biggest problem i see... imposing views on others which has created hatred against the whole idea. you are right .. no one will be able to disprove anything either...

1. lone77star profile image74
        lone77starposted 12 years agoin reply to this

@arksys, good point. Imposing ideas, ridicule, threats are all very non-Christian. They are full of ego, like that displayed too often by E.G., Earnest and Cags. It seems Cags has some class, on occasion, but even he will stoop to illogical ridicule at times.

Even some scientists keep "ridicule" in their repertoire because it strokes ego. It does nothing for science. Just look at the "Clovis first" debacle. Some scientists were afraid to dig below the Clovis horizon for fear of jeopardizing their careers in North American anthropology. Science by intimidation?

You see, the problem is not religion or science -- it's ego. The real travesty is the seemingly inescapable idea that the ego is the true self, which it isn't! It never has been. Only when someone separates their true self from ego (usually through humility) will they ever have any real progress toward understanding.

It's not easy. And we have too many attachments, so it's not instantaneous. We each have multiple layers and multiple vectors of attachment to ego's many facets.

Proof in science is good. (logical)

Belief in a lie is bad. (delusion)

Faith in the Truth is better -- far better, but most Christians haven't even come close to this level of "walking-on-water" faith. I've touched it a few times. Only when you do will you fully understand that proof with faith or God is inconsequential and irrelevant. Faith precedes proof. Faith is an act of creation (cause) while belief is an act of perception (effect). They may look alike, but they are worlds apart.

@lonestar - very true ... i've had muslims doing the same with me ... imposing their ideas etc, and i believe you are right in saying its the ego speaking and not the person.
          thanks for you contribution... very valuable to me. smile

You're illogical from the get go. No need to ridicule irrationality or illogical speech, when all that's actually required, is to point it out.

For someone who claims to practice humility, your ego is shining through more often than not. lol

9. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Enough for whom?

10. lone77star profile image74
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

There have been many interpretations of Holy Ghost or Holy Spirit. I think most of them, if not all of them have been wrong. Even mine is suspect.

If you want a pithy one-liner from me, it wouldn't be quality, because it wouldn't contain a very meaningful answer. You need more than a one-liner to ever have any hope of understanding.

Trinity

There are many skeptics who think that the "trinity" makes Christianity no longer a monotheistic religion, but I think they're dead wrong. Let me explain.

First of all, Yehoshua of Nazareth told us that he and the Father were one. Some interpret this as Yehoshua being God Himself. Nothing could be further from the truth. He also said on numerous occasions that he was subservient to the Father (God).

Let us look at an analogy. When professional race car drivers are "one with their vehicles," they are not their cars, right? But the car feels like an extension of their professional skills. When an athlete says that they are "in the zone," they are "one" with the game. There is harmony and a power at work which is not easy to explain.

Holy Ghost

From my own meager understanding, the Holy Ghost is the true self, within. Yehoshua said that the kingdom of heaven is within us. He also said that we can do the miracles he did and even greater ones. Those who had been healed, were healed by their own faith, not by anything done by Yehoshua, directly. That healing was done by the awakening true self -- their immortal soul -- the child of God, within.

What the Future Holds...

Guys like E.G., Cags and Earnest turn a blind eye to their true selves, pretending that it doesn't exist. This is not a smart thing to do. When their current body's are dust, they will still be here, possibly thrashing in a terror-filled dream until they are reincarnated. But when Homo sapiens bodies are no longer available, they won't even have that temporary solace.

Disrespecting the Holy Ghost or Holy Spirit is a disrespect of their own true selves, the last connection they have to the Heavenly Father. In a very real sense, such disrespect is akin to suicide and horribly selfish. Rather than being one with the Father, they are increasing the separation, just as with suicide.

The Real Meaning of the Trinity

The purpose of the Bible, the Mosaic Laws, the Covenant with God, and the New Covenant of Christ's sacrifice are all about spiritual awakening of God's spiritual children from their mortal bondage.

God would not have destroyed all life on Earth with Noah's Flood if the Homo sapiens bodies were the most important thing. God needed Homo sapiens bodies to help his children awaken, but he needed them genetically pure -- not mixed with Homo neanderthalensis. That's why, if you want to find evidence of the Flood, you won't find it at Ussher's date of 2348 BC, but at the new Biblical timeline's date of 27,970 BC. Look in the GISP2 ice cores for evidence at that layer.

The trinity is all about non-physical and timeless spirit -- the hierarchy of the Father, the Son and the other children who have not yet awaken. Christ is our brother and he came to help us out, from the compassion of a brother for his siblings.

11. earnestshub profile image83
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

I wasn't going to bother replying to this sort of rant, but since you have named me as one who is going to your psychopathic god's hell, I thought I should point out that I for one am very much in tune with my inner self, and would suggest the other two gentlemen are as well.

Take the bible past the picture it paints of the dark side of human nature and to assign those values to me or anyone else is arrogant beyond the bounds of decency and a projection from a self that can't carry it's own load and has to project power by proxy to threaten those who don't take the god myth as reality.

12. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

"Christians - Please explain about the Holy Ghost..."

A long, long time ago...
    I can still remember
    How that music used to make me smile.
    And I knew if I had my chance
    That I could make those people dance
    And, maybe, they’d be happy for a while.

But february made me shiver
    With every paper I’d deliver.
    Bad news on the doorstep;
    I couldn’t take one more step.

I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about his widowed bride,
    But something touched me deep inside
    The day the music died.

So bye-bye, miss american pie.
    Drove my chevy to the levee,
    But the levee was dry.
    And them good old boys were drinkin’ whiskey and rye
    Singin’, "this’ll be the day that I die.
    "this’ll be the day that I die."

Did you write the book of love,
    And do you have faith in God above,
    If the Bible tells you so?
    Do you believe in rock ’n roll,
    Can music save your mortal soul,
    And can you teach me how to dance real slow?

Well, I know that you’re in love with him
    `cause I saw you dancin’ in the gym.
    You both kicked off your shoes.
    Man, I dig those rhythm and blues.

I was a lonely teenage broncin’ buck
    With a pink carnation and a pickup truck,
    But I knew I was out of luck
    The day the music died.

I started singin’,
    "bye-bye, miss american pie."
    But the levee was dry.
    Them good old boys were drinkin’ whiskey and rye
    And singin’, "this’ll be the day that I die.

Now for ten years we’ve been on our own
    And moss grows fat on a rollin’ stone,
    But that’s not how it used to be.
    When the jester sang for the king and queen,
    In a coat he borrowed from james dean
    And a voice that came from you and me,

Oh, and while the king was looking down,
    The jester stole his thorny crown.
    The courtroom was adjourned;
    No verdict was returned.
    And while lennon read a book of marx,
    The quartet practiced in the park,
    And we sang dirges in the dark
    The day the music died.

We were singing,
    But the levee was dry.

Helter skelter in a summer swelter.
    The birds flew off with a fallout shelter,
    Eight miles high and falling fast.
    It landed foul on the grass.
    The players tried for a forward pass,
    With the jester on the sidelines in a cast.

Now the half-time air was sweet perfume
    While the sergeants played a marching tune.
    We all got up to dance,
    Oh, but we never got the chance!
    `cause the players tried to take the field;
    The marching band refused to yield.
    Do you recall what was revealed
    The day the music died?

We started singing,
    But the levee was dry.

Oh, and there we were all in one place,
    A generation lost in space
    With no time left to start again.
    So come on: jack be nimble, jack be quick!
    Jack flash sat on a candlestick
    Cause fire is the devil’s only friend.

Oh, and as I watched him on the stage
    My hands were clenched in fists of rage.
    No angel born in hell
    Could break that satan’s spell.
    And as the flames climbed high into the night
    To light the sacrificial rite,
    I saw satan laughing with delight
    The day the music died

He was singing,
    But the levee was dry.

I met a girl who sang the blues
    And I asked her for some happy news,
    But she just smiled and turned away.
    I went down to the sacred store
    Where I’d heard the music years before,
    But the man there said the music wouldn’t play.

And in the streets: the children screamed,
    The lovers cried, and the poets dreamed.
    But not a word was spoken;
    The church bells all were broken.
    And the three men I admire most:
    The father, son, and the holy ghost,
    They caught the last train for the coast
    The day the music died.

And they were singing,
    But the levee was dry.
    And them good old boys were drinkin’ whiskey and rye
    Singin’, "this’ll be the day that I die.

They were singing,
    But the levee was dry.
    Singin’, "this’ll be the day that I die."

13. profile image58
    Arcjahadposted 12 years ago

Well this is a tricky question because many will tell you that the Holy Spirit is the third person of the trinity that it is it's own entity and runs around the world helping people on it's own. I say toss that doctrine to the curb because the Holy Spirit is the comforter but it's our heavenly fathers presence it's how he let's us know that he is still here but some things bmust come to pass as it was written because he doesn't change his written word .

@paradigmsearch - i did mention quality not quantity. tongue

@Arcjahad - thanks for your views on this.

14. earnestshub profile image83
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

Are you sure you haven't got wet feet and accidentally plugged yourself into the electricity? lol

@earnest - you described the experience pretty well ... lol.

15. profile image0
    Wentworth35posted 12 years ago

I remember when I was about 12, when in a religious education class at school, and the teacher started talking about how Jesus created the universe.  I put up my hand and asked how this could be, because I thought Jesus was the son of God and that it was God who had created the universe.  The teacher then explained by pointing to the condensation on the window.  Water, he said comes in different forms.  There is the liquid form, which when hot turns into vapour and when freezing turns into ice.  This he further explained was how God was.  He is three persons of one substance.  The teacher seemed very satisfied by his explanation.  I gained knowledge about the states of water, but it still made little sense or had any connection with the Holy Trinity.  I realised then, that if people need to use an analogy to explain an article of faith, that they don't actually understand that article in any meaningful way.

@wentworth - using an analogy does help people understand things better... but not all analogies make sense. I don't get the water, vapour and ice thing either ... i guess it was not done right.

I also remember another Islamic scholar talking about the trinity... just found the link ... only a 3 min video ... please have a look if you have time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOxBy9BcID8

You are incorrect in that thinking. Those who believe and are actively seeking have a very good understanding. The reason you do not comprehend this is because these things are spiritually discerned. The Bible says those who live by the spirit are able to discern these things, but those who live in the flesh are not able to comprehend them.
      This is one of the works of the Holy Spirit. It brings all things to memory that the seeker is able to comprehend.
      The reason we use analogies is simply to try and help you try and understand what you are asking. You cannot truly "get it" until you experience it.

16. Shaisty-Chase-Tea profile image59
    Shaisty-Chase-Teaposted 12 years ago

with a pentacostal (the endwelment of the holy spirti) world view i do wish to rub my nose into your affairs over "holy ghost" talk.  I am a scholar of language, and culture. and I've studient all of the major world religions... if i were to align my east and west i would say that i am a Christian Taoist, the one totality that links everything together, isee, as a network of spiritual presentations that cross over into the living realms of mortality... i have a 'sign gifting', i see obvious things, such as, "why is this the first thing on my feed" and "if i just roll my fingers around will something smart come out of my mind"... with signs, just one of many giftins, as with all all giftings, all that encompasses what you have a natural ability to do, see, say, hear, ect. is always OBVIOUS, or it's just irrelevant, we don't press on God to GIVE for our own taking, but bless your love for GOD and it wanders into your life life a stray stranger that becomes a best friend...

as with the "holy ghost", is in the giftings, in its function in a most functional way, and i wish i could tell you how to grow any easier way, but for me, it took many many many seasons of heavy dedication, obidience of denying the 'flesh' (another this you should as "christians" for a definition for) and SURRENDER to the open mind that God has hidden deep within your cavernous creation... PRAYER LIFE IS NOT A JOKE... and it is not about me, or my needs, or my wants, but SURRENDER onto the (unknown at first) will (and for a long time uknown outside of just, not being me anymore, but living for YOU our GOD)...

ps... I have two music videos at the bottom of my Hub called "A 9/9/11 'it's complicated' relationship staus on facebook Ps, my real IC (it's complicated status on facebook as a game me and friend are playing) is a Pakistani Christian"   True story, I talk on about 4 or 5 urdu pages on a daily basis and have friends with admins and members... Music Freak Page is a Christian admins page in Pakistan... (I really got on his case about liking Eminem,... did a jk thing and posted a bunch of Ja Rule Videos causee he ruled in the early 2000s, and had a lot of compelations which was the key note... you know "Murder Inc. What's my mother f#$%# name? R.U.L.E?) 

bless you, be a friend, but note, i only follow hubbers that I will actually follow, so i would look if you commented on something, but no gaurentee that it's be a "voted you up (wink wink)"

17. Shaisty-Chase-Tea profile image59

with a pentacostal (the endwelment of the holy spirti) world view i do wish to rub my nose into your affairs over "holy ghost" talk.  I am a scholar of language, and culture. and I've studient all of the major world religions... if i were to align my east and west i would say that i am a Christian Taoist, the one totality that links everything together, isee, as a network of spiritual presentations that cross over into the living realms of mortality... i have a 'sign gifting', i see obvious things, such as, "why is this the first thing on my feed" and "if i just roll my fingers around will something smart come out of my mind"... with signs, just one of many giftins, as with all all giftings, all that encompasses what you have a natural ability to do, see, say, hear, ect. is always OBVIOUS, or it's just irrelevant, we don't press on God to GIVE for our own taking, but bless your love for GOD and it wanders into your life life a stray stranger that becomes a best friend...

as with the "holy ghost", is in the giftings, in its function in a most functional way, and i wish i could tell you how to grow any easier way, but for me, it took many many many seasons of heavy dedication, obidience of denying the 'flesh' (another this you should as "christians" for a definition for) and SURRENDER to the open mind that God has hidden deep within your cavernous creation... PRAYER LIFE IS NOT A JOKE... and it is not about me, or my needs, or my wants, but SURRENDER onto the (unknown at first) will (and for a long time uknown outside of just, not being me anymore, but living for YOU our GOD)...

ps... I have two music videos at the bottom of my Hub called "A 9/9/11 'it's complicated' relationship staus on facebook Ps, my real IC (it's complicated status on facebook as a game me and friend are playing) is a Pakistani Christian"   True story, I talk on about 4 or 5 urdu pages on a daily basis and have friends with admins and members... Music Freak Page is a Christian admins page in Pakistan... (I really got on his case about liking Eminem,... did a jk thing and posted a bunch of Ja Rule Videos causee he ruled in the early 2000s, and had a lot of compelations which was the key note... you know "Murder Inc. What's my mother f#$%# name? R.U.L.E?) 

bless you, be a friend, but note, i only follow hubbers that I will actually follow, so i would look if you commented on something, but no gaurentee that it's be a "voted you up (wink wink)"

@Shaisy - i found it a bit difficult to decipher what you were trying to explain but does make some sense to me ... the signs you talk about, i understand them well or have noticed them.
      I know what you mean by saying prayer life is not a joke ... and you have to dig really deep... takes a lot of time and dedication and you can acheive things which people would think of as impossible.

thanks for sharing your thoughts ... i'll check out your 9/11 it's complicated hub soon.

18. Shaisty-Chase-Tea profile image59

can't you read dumbie... it's a 9/9 hub, you know, as in the upside down 6... 6 is the number of man if you know Judeo Christian Islamic theology.... and it's 2011, so yeah, it's complicated

lol... thanks for explaining... i'll read your hub soon.

19. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

Holy Ghost is the angel gabriel; it is not a god; it is a Christian misconception to think it a god.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)