jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Why does reading make me sleepy? How can I overcome this problem?

1. jemuelO profile image91
    jemuelOposted 4 years ago

Why does reading make me sleepy? How can I overcome this problem?

2. JayeWisdom profile image91
    JayeWisdomposted 4 years ago

Perhaps you're waiting to read until you're naturally tired from working, such as reading just before your normal bedtime. When your body and mind are fatigued, almost any quiet sedentary activity (reading, watching TV, typing, etc.) will cause you to become drowsy. Try reading at a time of day or evening when your natural body rhythm (biorhythm) predisposes you to be alert.  If the reading matter is interesting and you're fully alert, you should then be able to read without getting sleepy.

3. Kiss andTales profile image81
    Kiss andTalesposted 4 years ago

Sometime it is what you are reading , it could be where ,and why, and the time, and if it is at night ,maybe your body's  timer says it's time to go to sleep ,if you are already tired and your body is very still. You will drift to sleep, the best time to read is earliest in the morning after a good night sleep you are more alert and ready for the rest of the day. That works for me, and eat light maybe you are eating to heavy which causes your body to over work itself to break your food down ,that will cause sluggish feelings and fatigue .hope I could help some how.take care. KT

4. profile image0
    christiananrkistposted 4 years ago

that used to happen to me to. with me the main problem was not really paying attention to what i was reading. do you find your thoughts straying a lot when you read?

5. johnsonrallen profile image92
    johnsonrallenposted 4 years ago

You also may need to change the position in which you sit/recline. If I lay down while reading, no matter what time of day or how interesting the book, I will always fall asleep.

6. profile image0
    AlienWednesdayposted 4 years ago

Do you need to wear glasses when you read? Either way, you need to take breaks and give your eyes a breather. You might be striving to stay focused and could be part of the problem.