Why do HP insist on submerging writing of prose & poetry, and not let work stand

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Twilight Lawns profile image72
    Twilight Lawnsposted 10 years ago

Why do HP insist on submerging writing of prose & poetry, and not let work stand on its own merits?

What is it with the HubPolice that a poem (for example) needs a singing and dancing description of the contents of the Hub with lots of lovely pictures and videos and tables and quizzes and all the rest of that padding when HubPages is supposed to be a site for the sharing and exposure of writing, written creativity and writing skills?

2. brblog profile image81
    brblogposted 10 years ago

I agree,

One size fits all seems to be the Hub Pages policy but that does not always capture the best work  . . . as an Architect, I have a special place in my heart for the idea that "less is more" . . . and that can apply to a hub as well.

3. Sinbadsailorman profile image60
    Sinbadsailormanposted 10 years ago

Its all about the earning capacity; more is less and less is more. But yet we the public endorses the reverse 99% of the time especially on the web. Give us more, more, more doesn't matter what they just fed us the stuff we seek we want more! Images being the #1 thing we seek for we are visually minded. The HUB knows this and it is what readers are seeking except these aren't readers their scanners scanning and feeding like ravenous wolves tracking a dieing buffalo herd.  FEED Us as they howl at the moon light madness. Everything for a discounted price.

Twilight Lawnsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

sinbadsailorman, thank you for your wonderfully insane and descriptive comment. 
      You are so right.  In my foolish way, I thought that HubPages was a literary site created for writers, poets and those of an artistic bent, but maybe I was wrong.  The

4. Twilight Lawns profile image72
    Twilight Lawnsposted 10 years ago

This to brblog, whose comment I replied to and accidentally deleted. His comment struck a chord, and so I reply to him here.
    brblog, I agree with you so much, and perhaps I could have saved myself some time when I wrote all the above, and just used your words: “less is more”.  That encapsulates my thoughts precisely.
    Sometimes, when I am writing, I ramble on and on and my stories, descriptions and poems turn into some thousands of words (and that is very time consuming because I am the slowest writer, ever). But at other times, I have said what I want to say in just a few lines... any more would be hyperbole. 
    But when the HubPolice come to call, they frequently declare my little effort thus: “does not receive sufficient engagement” or worse,” does not reach our quality standards”.

1. brblog profile image81
      brblogposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hub Pages believes they have to do what they do to stay in good graces with Google (after the Panda release – the Hub platform was severally penalized by that release). Unfortunately, there is no magic bullet so Hubbers often suffer the consequences.

5. M. T. Dremer profile image86
    M. T. Dremerposted 10 years ago

Well, HubPages is a business and it needs revenue to stay open. They make their money off of advertisement clicks for their partners and, no matter how much we love our creative writing, it just doesn't generate traffic. Not because it's bad, but because audiences don't know to look for it yet. I will admit that it's kind of annoying when they come up with a new restriction, but I view it like Barnes and Noble selling things other than books. Sure, it kind of cheapens the experience, but if it means Barnes and Noble/HubPages gets to stay open, then I'm willing to make that concession.

M. T. Dremer, a rather bleak response from you but I feel you may be right.  But what is the point in keeping HubPages alive and functioning when one has joined to share and to show off one’s writing- whether good or bad.  They may make their money f

2. M. T. Dremer profile image86
      M. T. Dremerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It is kind of bleak, but business usually is (try publishing a book through the traditional market and you'll lose a lot of optimism). We can still showcase and link to fiction on HP, we just can't expect it to be featured or make any money.

3. Twilight Lawns profile image72

By "publishing a book through the traditional market" I assume you mean those paper and board things?
      I suppose Kindle doesn't count, because that's self publishing.  Did I hear "Vanity Press"?

4. M. T. Dremer profile image86

I meant the old school query letter > agent > publishing company method. It's all about marketability and what is hot, not whether or not the book is good.

5. Twilight Lawns profile image72

M.T.Dremer, i would love to find a literary agent, but where and how? It's a minefield. A friend is a highly respected writer of Women's Issues and Islamic Issues but as I only write pretentious stuff (Yeah right!) I can't even ask to share hers.

6. M. T. Dremer profile image86

If you're interested in finding a literary agent, I wrote a hub about it. I included links to all the agencies I tried. It's mostly for genre fiction, but it might help you out. The 2014 Guide to Literary Agents is also a great resource.

7. Twilight Lawns profile image72

Thank you, M. T.  Your advice has been really useful,  I just went and looked at your hub.
      Daunting!
      I don't think I'm man enough.  Good enough for some hard bloke like George Sand, but wow, what a lot of work!

6. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 10 years ago

Let's define Hubpages first and maybe that will answer your question. HP is not a site for freedom of expression or for "or the sharing and exposure of writing, written creativity and writing skills"

Hubpages is a business which allows writers to publish within their (HP) guidelines. They are not here to help the writers express themselves. They are here to make money by allowing you to publish. In order to make more money you the publisher/writer needs to make them money with your writing.

As far as content is concerned, HP is more concerned about informative articles because these make more money, they are more searchable (gets more traffic) and they are more Google friendly.

It's not about you but about what makes more money or what makes Google happy.

1. PoeticFailosophy profile image58
      PoeticFailosophyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Amen sister.

2. Twilight Lawns profile image72

Well, that's me roundly and soundly told off.
      Perhaps I should slink off and find somewhere else, or perhaps toe the line and lick a few arses.
      Regardless, Cardisa, I thank you for your comment, but feel that I have misunderstood the whole concept. .

3. brblog profile image81

If you read the "about us" tab at the bottom of any HP page, you will see that HP states it is exactly a "sharing and exposure of writing, written creatively . . .etc." though they don't use those exact words - you should check it out.

4. Twilight Lawns profile image72

Svetlana, once again you amaze me and entertain me in a way no other person has ever done. Your slant in life is so clever and so off the wall, but never do you come over as being bitter,  Just brilliantly entertaining and cleverly deep  all at once.

5. kallini2010 profile image78
      kallini2010posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Ian. I am not going to place any more comments because if there are too many, HP will close the question as the one being not a question but a forum.  The best thing to do? Laugh it off.

7. PoeticFailosophy profile image58
    PoeticFailosophyposted 10 years ago

Actually, this is a commercial site, not a creative writing site or a writers' networking site.  How-to articles are the money-makers. People who don't want to face that are going to be continually disappointed by HubPages' policies to hide creative writing from the site.  But I guess some people just like to find things to be upset about. If you don't want to be upset or surprised by all the new policies they come up with, then face the music and post your creative writing on a site that is actually designed for creative writing.  This isn't rocket science.

Couldn’t you have tried a little harder to be offensive, PoeticFailosophy? I am not one of those persons who just like to find things to be upset about; I just feel that greed & lack of respect for attempts at creativity to be somewhat pitiable

2. brblog profile image81

I believe they do want creative writing, the original question was about short pieces not getting featured (like poetry) but if you write a very long creative piece and add a few bells and whistles, it is certain to be featured . . .

3. PoeticFailosophy profile image58
      PoeticFailosophyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I will try my best to be more offensive.  You apparently signed up for this site with no idea of what its purpose actually is.  Creativity is largely unwelcome here, and people with sense figured that out and left a long time ago. Start your own blog

4. Nellieanna profile image68
      Nellieannaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

PoeticFailosophy, may I ask, how old are you?

8. kallini2010 profile image78
    kallini2010posted 10 years ago

When less is more, Ian, my favourite line of yours in this discussion/ventilation of creative angst was "Couldn't you have tried harder to be offensive...?"
    And I came across it in the very beginning of this question and answer dance. It was not pretentious, it was lively.

I don't have to answer your question for it seems to be rhetorical or as my son says "Historical".  In this case, it is historical, it has been the policy or intent or the higher purpose of HubPages all along to publish "How Tos" from "Those Who Have No Idea How but Pretend They Do."

The question (rhetorical or historical) "To Be or Not to Be?"  or "Let them be"

lends itself nicely to a lot of topics:

How to be:

1. Don't stop drinking (water) to avoid dehydration (another topic is How to Avoid Dehydration)

2. Continue eating.

3. Keep close to the tribe....

How not  to be:

1. Stop drinking water.
    2. You may consider doing it underwater so as to stop breathing (do it at your own discretion).
    3. Stop eating.
    4. Avoid being force-fed.

and now you can see how many "essential, unique" topics you have for your creative writing. Topics that no one has covered before.

Well, you know, write a hub on any of those and everything will be peachy.

Or how to be or not to be pretentious... 

How to write:

1. Take a piece of paper.
    2. Take a pen.
    3. Start writing.

However, that is probably the reason I am not writing anything. I don't want to sit in any traffic that generates a waste of time.  I'd rather read one of those printed books by long dead authors.  The ones that did not care about the traffic, but listened to their inner voice and were just in time to get published.

I gotta rush before the society forgets how to read and comes back to hieroglyphics.

1. Nellieanna profile image68

As always, Svetlana - you are witty, concise (in your own inimitable way) and a genuine pleasure to read and to know!  I love and miss you!

2. kallini2010 profile image78
      kallini2010posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Nellieanna! I miss you, too.  Your "deep well of knowledge". This response is a long version of "All Writing is Creative".  Creative non-fiction is what we know as history. A great writer always has a strong and unique voice.

3. Nellieanna profile image68

Yes, I agree!  As subjective entities, all our human observations &  responses are 'creative', for sure; - which naturally involves 'fictitious' as compared with objective facts which are outside our subjective realms! ;-)

4. brblog profile image81

I hope you do write because it is a pleasure to read your ramblings (and I mean that in a nice way) . . .

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)