Why are my poetry hubs falling below the quality standards...?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (20 posts)
  1. leni sands profile image68
    leni sandsposted 10 years ago

Why are my poetry hubs falling below the quality standards...?

I have received the following email each time I amend or update a hub.  Mainly my poetry, photographic and music hubs - 'Your hub ....... falls below HubPages' quality standards and will not be Featured. Your Hub will remain published, but it will not be showcased on Topic Pages or Related Hubs listings. It will also not be made available to search engines.'  Surely the quality checker should have different criteria to say 'article writing' - for creative writing hubs such as poetry, novels?  I take pride in my work, love to share and read comments and this is really upsetting....WHY?

2. whonunuwho profile image53
    whonunuwhoposted 10 years ago

I find much the same with my work and am perplexed as to why at this late date after more than a year has gone by they have changed the rules. whonu

leni sandsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Some of mine are nearly three years old...very  time consuming trying to make them fit the bill - particularly poetry hubs.

3. randallstisobel profile image57
    randallstisobelposted 10 years ago

Hi Leni, I read a few of your poems and enjoyed them.  The only thing that struck me was that several have adverts for amazon and ebay.  You might do well to remove the ads and replace them with media so they seem less commercial to the bots that auto-check our work.

I read in the Learning Center that creative writing is judged on a different (and more lenient) scale than factual material, but because of its shorter nature it's not good to include more ads beyond what HubPages places there.  If you wrote a 1000-word poem, it would be a different story I suppose.

Thanks I will try that...I have unpublished one or two until I can decide what to do with them...perhaps the same thing is true of my music hub...I will check.

4. angryelf profile image89
    angryelfposted 10 years ago

Because they probably want your hub to be around 500-700 words. If you include ebay/amazon, it appears as purely promotional. Hubpages uses an algorithm to determine the quality of hubs; then they leave the community to make the real opinion, hence hub scores. Hope I've helped! HERE'S A GOOD SUGGESTION: After writing each poem, include one text box describing the poem, then a second entailing your inspiration behind it, whether it be something you experienced, heard, saw, etc. This will improve your quality score, and try to ALWAYS use what they recommend in the upper right. I hit every one of these requirements every time (at least 700 word count), the 3 photos, and the 2 capsules. Ask people what they thought in a poll, if you're referring to a location target it on a map, etc etc. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice sounds about right but also sounds like a lot of work on old hubs, some not far off three years old - can't understand why they don't just do it for new hubs.  Any way I will give it a try though I know it will take some time...

5. Diana Lee profile image76
    Diana Leeposted 10 years ago

I wish I knew the answer, but I have no idea.  Many of mine are like this, too.  I haven't posted a poem in quite some time.  I have noticed my book reviews falling to the same thing as well.  I have tried updating old hubs by adding a link, picture or video and sometimes more text. I hope this brings them back to life.

Most comments received to this question have been extremely helpful - plus a really helpful tip on one of my poetry hubs with explanation of why it is falling short of the QC's -useful tip - remove ebay & Amazon ads add poll, ad video, own pictur

6. moonfroth profile image67
    moonfrothposted 10 years ago

Three months ago I wrote an article called POETS! -- DEMAND FORMATTING CHANGES FROM HP!  I think I contacted staff directly, as well, and requested a response.  NOTHING.  which leads to the question -- does HP care much, one way or the other, about poetry and poets?....... which leads to the corollary question, does poetry bring in enuff ad revenue for HP to care about discontent among poets?  Answers are probably "No" in both cases.  All of this angst is a shame, because the potential readership on HP is huge and could be of great promotional value for the resurgence of interest in poetry currently underway, as well as good for individual poets.

I have no idea how poems are scored on HP.  I didn't even realize they WERE scored!  How dumb is that?

It looks like all hubs are scored but to which level they can score creativity is beyond me. it appears that it is not so much the content of the poems but the stuff that surrounds it.  Too many non HB ads and a hub fails the QC *polls & media ne

7. Polly C profile image90
    Polly Cposted 10 years ago

Hi Leni, I don't have the answer to your question but just wanted to say that I have a lot of poems and all are featured. Also, I do not use videos or polls on my poems, only photos, so I'm assuming that can't be the problem.  I also know that you are a good writer, and actually just read a couple of your poems and thought them excellent, with a good introduction. I wonder if it is the Amazon/ebay capsules? Can't think what else it could be.

1. To Start Again profile image70
      To Start Againposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I, too, have featured poems and they all have something-video, pics, ebay, links-so i don't think those could be issues.

2. leni sands profile image68

Hi - Thank you I am in the midst of removing the amazon/ebay capusles so we will see.  I haven't been very active on the hubs lately as I am caring for my 91 year old father in law who has advanced dementia - so I check out hubpages when I can.

8. To Start Again profile image70
    To Start Againposted 10 years ago

The standards for judging quality on a creative writing hub are different than on informative articles. So long as you properly categorize your poetry hubs (which, from the ones I just viewed, it looks as if you have) then the qualifications will be different. For instance, word count as another hubber mentioned, is not an issue with poetry. If you notice, the 'evergreen' scale that is found to the upper right of the hub tool page when creating a hub (just above the capsule add box) is not even there for poetry hubs. Word count is not a quality issue with poetry.
    I have now looked at several of your poems and, aside from being quite good, they are all set up very nicely. You have pictures and links and amazon capsules and you've used subheadings and even videos. And you even grouped a few similar poems together when they would have been sparse on their own.

Poetry and creative writing, however, are a tricky genre to be competitive in, so to speak. At least here on hubpages. A lot of the moderating done here is done by us. We use the hub hopper and we rate and vote up (or down) a hub. All of these things can hurt or help you and the sad truth of the matter is, people aren't always the wisest creatures. I see poetry like yours get lost in the site while junk gets praised and voted up. It isn't fair and it isn't right but, unfortunately, there isn't a lot we can do about it. Just keep trucking right a long and writing because you are doing a great job! I love seeing well written poetry on here smile

My only other possible explanation could be a traffic issue. I was reading up on the featured status just a minute ago and it says that if a hub goes 'stagnant' it can become unfeatured. It just means your poetry hubs/music/etc may need a traffic boost. Try sharing them on social media and see if that helps. Get your face out in the forums and commenting and you may find more visitors checking things out. I really hope this helps and, guaranteed I will be voting you up!!

1. To Start Again profile image70
      To Start Againposted 10 years agoin reply to this

PS I noticed several outgoing links to others' hubs in your poem. I would take those out as they could be your issue.

2. leni sands profile image68

Thank you ** i will treasure your comments & advice and will head over & check out your hubs

9. Genna East profile image82
    Genna Eastposted 10 years ago

Hi Leni..

I'm a lttle late with this question, but this may help:Hubpages “grades” poetry written by hubbers who largely publish articles differently from those who write creative short story fiction and poetry.  I don’t agree with this philosophy; nevertheless, it is what it is.  You are a creative writer who publishes many poems.  The quality of the poem too often has little to do with whether or not it is featured.  I write poetry and short story fiction.  Whenever a poem of mine drops from featured to an un-featured status, it receives a half-moon symbol because it "does not receive sufficient engagement."  I hope this helps, Lenni.

Thank you that is very useful information

2. moonfroth profile image67
      moonfrothposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't understand Hubpages "grading" system for poetry--in fact,I just now realized that they actually have the temerity to judge our poetry.  Do they   Rubbish!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)