jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

What is the best way to market your book?

1. Highvoltagewriter profile image84
    Highvoltagewriterposted 3 years ago

What is the best way to market your book?

Of all the ways to market your self published book, what do you feel is the most effective?

2. Lori P. profile image86
    Lori P.posted 3 years ago

What a great question. I'm look forward to hearing more answers! I can share just a bit of advice in this area and that is to write a few Hubpages articles related to your book and then add a link to your book so people can read more about the topic.

We all hope for instant, overnight media coverage and for that you'll need some help. You can send your promotional copies of your book to high profile people in hopes they'll love and pitch your book.

Word-of-mouth, book signings, workshops on your topic, etc. are all ways to get more sales. Post some Youtube videos. Be sure you have a Facebook fan page for your book, too. Use Twitter and all the social media outlets you can. Find blogs that will highlight your book with excerpts or author interview, etc.

I have found that feeling positive and energetic through this process is key. Your goal is sell books yes but first, feel joyous about sharing your knowledge and feel thankful for every single reader who has taken his time to buy and read your words.

Good luck marketing your book! smile

Highvoltagewriterposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Some really great tips, some I have not applied...Yet!

3. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

Initially I set out to get some good (editorial) reviews from reputable sources like Midwest Book Review, Publishers Weekly Select, newspapers and so on. I entered into some of the well known independent book contests  based upon category options, signed up for free alerts from both Radioguestlist.com and Help A Reporter Out to possibly do radio interviews or contribute to articles. Because my book is a non-fiction self-help type of book it also lends itself to creating 2 hour workshops/classes for continuing education classes at community colleges/school districts. Your book could be the additional "material fee" students pay for taking the class. You could also seek to be a guest speaker for various groups and book clubs, write blogs/articles where you list your book in your bio/profile. 
    Last but not least if you're "serious" and have some noteworthy reviews you might consider hiring a (book) publicist to get you on radio stations and TV shows. All of the aforementioned is in addition to having your own website, Twitter Account, and Facebook/Author page for your books. I wrote a hub on this awhile back. Best wishes! http://dashingscorpio.hubpages.com/hub/ … g-services

All very good approaches to marketing, thank you for your input!

4. enjoy life profile image78
    enjoy lifeposted 3 years ago

I am interested to hear what others suggest for this question.

A couple of ideas to throw in:

I think it is good to have your own website, and also use things like a Facebook page. People who only have one book may not go this route, however definitely suggested if you are putting out multiple books.

This can build up a following of your own. As you become known as an author people will know where they can come to easily find your books.

You may also want to add in links to your email signature to your website or directly to where the book can be purchased from.

What about the growing trend to have a "book trailer"? Which is like a movie trailer but designed to market a book. Because I have a background with video, I plan not only to create one for my own books but also offer them for others.

2. Highvoltagewriter profile image84

That is one approach I have not thought of!

3. enjoy life profile image78
      enjoy lifeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

That sounds interesting, people do like video clips, although some might not like that as it kind of pictures the book characters for you. Some people like to imagine them themselves as part of the fun of reading

working