jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

If I post my poems on here is that considered being published?

1. SilentMagenta profile image71
    SilentMagentaposted 3 years ago

If I post my poems on here is that considered being published?

2. ariellesterling profile image80
    ariellesterlingposted 3 years ago

The word published can be defined in many forms: prepare and issue for public sale, print in a book or journal to make it generally known, or to formally announce or read.

Well consider to what extent does "being published" mean to you...

If it gives you joy or excitement as you see your poem appear on the internet for others to read, then one might argue, yes, based on modern interpretations of being "printed".

SilentMagentaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. I am new to this and I want to understand exactly what I am doing.

3. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

Arielle stated it very well. However, I'll mention that if you tell people you're a published author, they're automatically going to think you have a book they can buy. I'm not saying you can't call yourself a published author because you are. I'm just letting you know what other people will assume.

My idea as well. I thought to be considered published you have to have a book.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 3 years ago

Technically you could say it, but as sheilamyers pointed out, there is a certain implication with saying you are published. Agents, publishers, employers, and readers are impressed if you are 'traditionally' published. Because there is a level of filtering, quality and achievement associated with such a feat. If you are 'self' published (which is what you're doing on HubPages) then there is really no prestige afforded by the word because 'anyone can do it'. Implying the former when you're really the latter might upset the wrong people.

I was asking only to figure out if I could enter this contest. They wont accept published authors.

2. profile image0
      sheilamyersposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Oh, in that case, they should accept your submission because you don't have a book.

3. M. T. Dremer profile image95
      M. T. Dremerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Ah, in that case, you should be fine to enter. Just make sure you're not submitting a piece that was already posted here. Most contests require original work.

working