jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

What is the most creative use of metaphor you have read? Who wrote it?

1. jhamann profile image89
    jhamannposted 3 years ago

What is the most creative use of metaphor you have read? Who wrote it?

2. JayeWisdom profile image92
    JayeWisdomposted 3 years ago

If you want to read masterfully written metaphors, get a copy of William Holland's latest novel, RESURRECTING TOBIAS, and read it. Known to thousands of followers on HubPages as 'billybuc', Bill makes creative use of metaphors in everything he writes, including the hundreds of hubs he publishes on this site (now numbering more than 200). Many of his hubs provide practical advice and inspiration to those of us who work with words.     

If you haven't yet discovered Bill Holland, you owe it to yourself to do so. He also writes a blog aimed at helping writers, Artistry with Words.

Trust me--If you read Bill's powerful novel and his hubs (the latter published on HP under the pen name 'billybuc', you will learn a lot about the effective use of metaphor.

1. JayeWisdom profile image92
      JayeWisdomposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I feel rather foolish now that I've read your profile AFTER writing my answer, jhamann, because I saw that you already know Bill Holland. In fact, you responded to his latest writing prompt contest ten days ago. I'll read your story.

2. Perspycacious profile image81
      Perspycaciousposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Well-deserved promo for billybuc, but I see no chosen metaphor of his. Do you have one?

3. jhamann profile image89
      jhamannposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Jaye, don't feel foolish, I agree!  Bill is very skilled and has written some incredible things.  Thank you for your opinion.

4. JayeWisdom profile image92
      JayeWisdomposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Specific: Chp. 11, Tobias describes Washington D.C. in 1975 with several metaphors in two paragraphs starting on pg. 161, including, "...the prize fighter who has taken one too many stiff jabs to the head."

3. chef-de-jour profile image95
    chef-de-jourposted 3 years ago

There are many amongst the poets, fields of metaphors, stretching on to the horizon, a mind full.

Ok Jamie.
    William Shakespeare's sonnets have lots....No 18 the classic. Donne's Sun Rising.
    Emily Dickinson...Hope is the thing with feathers...

My favourites amongst many others:

Dylan Thomas....The Force That through the Green Fuse Drives the Flower...such a powerful poem packed with metaphors

Sylvia Plath...Metaphors...a moving 9 line poem..sort of one metaphor given nine facets...about her pregnancy.

1. jhamann profile image89
      jhamannposted 3 years agoin reply to this

You have provided some excellent examples of creative use of metaphor.  Thank you.

working