jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Essay: Difference between argumentative essay and persuasive essay

1. Ben716 profile image91
    Ben716posted 3 years ago

Essay: Difference between argumentative essay and persuasive essay

Is there a difference between an argumentative essay and a persuasive essay. Are the same or is there some slight difference because they seem to blend as one.

2. JayeWisdom profile image92
    JayeWisdomposted 3 years ago

The argumentative essay is written in a factual manner with the information tending to resemble one side of a debate. In this style of essay, you present statistics and provable information to the reader in a formal, even academic, manner.

In a persuasive essay, you present your opinion to the reader, which may or may not be bolstered with facts. This style is more personal, less formal, perhaps even written in a conversational style--depending on the topic.

Those are the differences. The similarity is that both these types of essay are written to influence the reader.

3. askformore lm profile image70
    askformore lmposted 3 years ago

I believe that an essay is even better if you find your own style in which you combine both styles.

4. Ben716 profile image91
    Ben716posted 3 years ago

Thank you JayeWisdom and askformore Im.

I was pretty clear but seemed confused along the way as both of them are meant to influence in order to attract acceptance or agreement with the aim of influencing them to agree to what you are saying.

I thought argumentative essay apart from stating facts and explaining you can include some opinions but now I know it's facts only. It is in persuasive essay where opinions do count alot even if it contains facts.

Also combining both essays together, I bet it will be interesting.

Thank you all and Big Up:)

5. JBRUU profile image87
    JBRUUposted 3 years ago

An argument is simply the presentation of an opinion, right or wrong. It can include factual data and other objective statistics, but isn't necessarily designed to persuade as much as present a point of view.

When you try to persuade someone, that's when the rhetoric, appeal to emotion and other 'tricks' come out of the bag.

6. shafaq sadia profile image60
    shafaq sadiaposted 2 years ago

Argumentative essay is all about facts which describes advantages and disadvantages of a particular topic and bring a person to conclusion and take to decision for the right thing.

A persusive essay is to persuade someone with describing all the facts and benefits of the particular topic and convince reader to go for it.

working