How do you respond in the face of constant changes when writing content online?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)
  1. ChristinS profile image38
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

How do you respond in the face of constant changes when writing content online?

Have images of Pandas gone from cute and cuddly to being cringe worthy?

Do you feel overwhelmed by the constant game changes? Challenged by them? or have you thought about giving up and doing something else?

For me, I get frustrated, but I have been "playing this game" a long time and have learned to adapt, pick up and try new things.  I see a lot of people here who are increasingly frustrated and I understand, but change is a constant. 

After a few weeks of updating/overhauling one of my sites, it's doing better than ever. I vote for adaptability over complaining smile.

2. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 9 years ago

Hi Christin....Nice to see you and I like your question.    I have this personal opinion of "complaining" in general.  Sure we all have our little gripes & annoyances about so many many things.  Once in a while we may voice them, either privately or quite openly.  How does this truly benefit a person with the possible exception of releasing pent-up negative emotion? (which is sometimes necessary!)
    During my working days, I spent a lot of time coming up with positive, successful ways to make life much easier for myself and staff.  One point I stressed at every interview, training course or meeting was the fact that I was more than eager to "listen" to complaints about things as long as you came into the discussion with a list of possible solutions and/or ideas for improvement that could then be presnted, discussed and voted upon.
    Believe me Christin, this cut down on the complaints considerably......because very few people with a daily complaint had a positive suggestion behind it!!  LOL.....

ChristinSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

awesome smile I definitely believe complaining has merit, but is only useful when followed by a constructive plan for taking action!

3. gposchman profile image60
    gposchmanposted 9 years ago

I start writing with usually a scene I have been playing with in my head. I do not use an outline, but I have pages of notes. They are not always organized until I have reached the words "The End" the first time.

I have a notebook of characters, of scenes and a story that has gone for between 40,000 and 50,000 words. I run spell checker and then I put it away for a day or so. Then comes the rewrite, looking for the wrong words that are spelled right, making sure the characters names haven't changed confirming what few facts that may be relevant to the real world. I look through my notes to make sure something hadn't gotten lost. Then I send out copies to my in house reviewers and critics and wait.

After they get through with me I go through it one more time and if I am happy I send it to my last editor who usually finds about fifty things wrong. I go through it one more time and then I publish.

By this time I am on my next book and I am going through the process once more. Complain, never, this is what I like doing.

sounds like you are a proactive and prolific writer - the best kind.

4. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

Online writing has its ups and downs. i feel you just have to go with the flow or try to catch the big waves and ride them in. When the latest Panda hit it was a bit of a shock,my views plummeted for awhile, hub scores dropped, some became unfeatured, but the tide seems to have turned an my Hubber Score is the highest it has ever been, views have increased and all's looking good. We can complain all we like but it doesn't achieve much..better just to concentrate on what you enjoy doing...writing..and don't stress.

I completely agree! I never want writing to become tiresome, and stressing over changes would certainly make it so.

5. KoffeeKlatch Gals profile image75
    KoffeeKlatch Galsposted 9 years ago

I just go with the flow.  You can't do much about it anyway.

Indeed this is true!

6. chefmancave profile image74
    chefmancaveposted 9 years ago

I start with the basics.
    1) Is the article true & honest?
    2) Is the article up to date & relevant?
    3) Is the article written from my heart?
    4) Am I passionate about the topic?
    5) Is the article well-written? (Grammar & Spelling)
    6) Does it contain pictures and external links?
    When I follow these basic ideas, my articles do well. When I try to "cheat" the system, my articles do poorly.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)