jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Mr. or Mister, Missus, Mrs.

1. gposchman profile image83
    gposchmanposted 3 years ago

Mr. or Mister, Missus, Mrs.

I guess it's about abbreviations. Jonas Watcher: The Case of  the Bourbon Street Hustler in written circa 1930. So Mizz is out or is it Miz.? When identifying characters, Mister Smith, or Mr.Smith, which is preferable? Both are correct, so is there a protocol? Is it personal? The book is being setup for proof in Create Space, but before I actually order printed paperbacks, to distribute to my readers and editors, I thought I would throw this out?

2. lisavollrath profile image97
    lisavollrathposted 3 years ago

I would think that you would probably want to find an etiquette book from the 1930s, to find the correct way of addressing people of various stations of life. And, since your story looks like it's set in New Orleans, you would also want to research how people were addressed there, since the language and customs are so unique.

1. gposchman profile image83
      gposchmanposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Actually for New Orleans I have some research and you are right about that part of it.  You have French, Cajun, Creole, and combinations of all three that make for interesting reading. An etiquette book from the time might help. Thanks.

3. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 3 years ago

here we use Mr for man, Mrs for married woman, Ms for single lady, M/s for company

1. The Examiner-1 profile image74
      The Examiner-1posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I thought Miss was a single lady - and Ms. was for 'Mizz' the ones who were single or seperated but did not want it to be known which.

2. gposchman profile image83
      gposchmanposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I don't think I should use Ms or mizz, the genre is 1930, so Miss works for me. So Mr without the period would be acceptable?