jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Why English people consider Milton as a god?

1. M Asif Jameel profile image76
    M Asif Jameelposted 3 years ago

Why English people consider Milton as a god?

2. Biomedical profile image80
    Biomedicalposted 3 years ago

Who is Milton? You mean Milton Bradley, the game tycoon?

1. M Asif Jameel profile image76
      M Asif Jameelposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I mean John Milton, author of paradise lost

2. Biomedical profile image80
      Biomedicalposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I have never heard anyone say Milton is a god.

3. M Asif Jameel profile image76
      M Asif Jameelposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Oh, Robert! then I tell you that English people respect him to a great deal because of the way he wrote paradise lost, if you didn't read it, you must read it, off course a great epic poem and I didn't mean God but god.

3. DGtal Montage profile image95
    DGtal Montageposted 5 months ago

That is a very strong generalization Asif. Milton was hated by half his countrymen during his lifetime. He professed liberty, scientific enquiry and democracy. His portrayal of Satan is often found by many critics as a statement Milton was making against God. Many called him sympathetic towards Satan. Even the ones who believed otherwise saw him as a great poet. In England, no author is God. They are respected as great masters of language. Milton revamped the English language, drew on the Italian elements for embellishment of his native content. He was the first one to write an epic on a subject that belonged to his countrymen, not on some Greek Hero or some fabled character. His poetry was an echo of his suffering as well. This is why he is still studied in High Schools and Colleges.

working