jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What are good books to read in order to learn to write better?

1. Tjphilz5 profile image71
    Tjphilz5posted 2 years ago

What are good books to read in order to learn to write better?

2. choneycutt profile image78
    choneycuttposted 2 years ago

If you have trouble with your writing style I would suggest you get  "A Writer's Companion."  An earlier edition of the book should be way cheaper and not much different.  This should also help a lot:

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/679/01/

However, if you have problems with grammar and the rules of writing you should use this site:

http://www.grammarbook.com/english_rules.asp

I hope these resources help.  Books are kind of outdated these days and the internet is a powerful tool to use for your writing development.

3. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 2 years ago

Classics and popular books are good places to start. Depending on your chosen genre, try sampling as many as possible, as often as possible. So, for example, if you write science fiction, try reading the Time Machine by H. G. Wells and Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. That would be an example of a classic plus a modern successful author. How to write books help, but immersing yourself in the kind of stuff you want to write will build writing muscle very rapidly.

4. sassydee profile image74
    sassydeeposted 2 years ago

If you just read a lot of books and educate your self more within time you will become a better writer. You learn new things like ideas and your vocabulary grows as well.

5. Old-Empresario profile image81
    Old-Empresarioposted 2 years ago

It's hard to say, because so many are written in a particular voice. I would say the best bet is to focus on novels written after 1945 since the post-modern voice is what our reading is attuned to accept. I hate to say it, but the best way to improve vocabulary is not by reading. It's by listening, like to TV and radio.

working