What are your favorite types of books to read?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Victoriaaa profile image57
    Victoriaaaposted 13 years ago

I want to write a novel, but I want to know what people are reading these days so I know what genre to write in and how to write my vision. What do you guys consider a good book?

1. profile image60
      Martha Castilloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My guess is go with what you are passionate about and can write from the heart about.  What just bubbles out of you.  If you write from the heart the readers will be there.

2. profile image56
      lnwriterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like mysteries because I like to figure out who dun it.  Sometimes I am way off on who I think did it and sometimes not.  If it's obvious, I am disappointed with the book and may not read any other by that author.  That's why I don't read Mary Higgins Clark anymore.  My favorite author these days is Steven James.  The Pawn was so good - suspenseful, on the edge of your seat reading.  Most of the time, what you like to read is what you end up writing.  It's whatever you enjoy writing and Martha is right - what you are passionate about.

2. profile image0
    ShadowKing!posted 13 years ago

Unless you've been called a remarkably proficient writer who exceeds high expectations, asking for someone to give you a genre to write in is absurd. The best writing of any author comes from the passion they have for that particular genre. As a teen, I use to read nothing but suspense & sci-fi. At age 13, When I finally embraced my writing urge I tried to tackle suspense because I "believed" I could pen a masterpiece better than James Patterson. Come to find out I sucked in suspenseful writing. Little did I know that all those fantasy movies I watched had silently given me my niche. Fantasy is my forte. Now I have 3 books & dozens of short stories published.

Go for the genre you most love. But if you insist on advice,  right now the market in fiction mostly benefits pro authors. Romance is still queen bee of the hive. Now, nonfiction is very lucrative for even novice writers. Last I checked: inspirational, religious, memoirs, and educational children books are top buyers. If you decided to, go with those.

Now a good book in fiction would depend on the genre. In nonfiction, in my opinion, would be inspirational. I don't read these type of books, but I receive Writer's Digest monthly and that's what people want to read. Your memoirs would be a great seller if you have something unique that happened to you or someone close.

Victoriaaaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually, I didn't ask for someone to "give" me a genre, I just simply asked what people were reading so I can decide where to focus. I mostly test out short stories in more than one genre, just to see which one flows better or better fits my writing style. But thanks for your input though.

3. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Victoria,

I read books that interest me. However, I read hubs in the same manner.

Welcome to HubPages, if I've not said it before. I hope you enjoy your time here. However, I would like to point I out that I saw your other thread, about your hub, which I haven't been to as of yet, but would like to bring to your attention- HubPages is not a blogging location or reproduction.

You do not create blogs here. You create hubs.

The difference between a blog and a hub is the "size" of the writing(word count). Blogs have very little in them and need more help on search engines, where HubPages articles are better because a quality hub is about 600+ words or more.

Some hubs are 1000+ or better than 2000 words, and provide readers value.

So, with that said, I'm going to leave you with a few articles written, not by me, but other hubbers. These are a must read.

Frogdropping: She is an excellent writer/hubber and woman.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Hubpages-Help
    http://hubpages.com/hub/hubpages-blueprint

Darkside: He another excellent writer/hubber.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/how
    http://hubpages.com/hub/capsules
    http://hubpages.com/hub/howhubworks
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Hubscore
    http://hubpages.com/hub/hubpages-works

Short stories might work well on HubPages, but I am not certain of it. There are quite a few people who could assist you though.

Either way, enjoy.

1. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

wtf??

I thought this was a dating site????

1. USMCwifey09 profile image63
        USMCwifey09posted 13 years agoin reply to this

big_smile big_smile big_smile

lol yeah, that comment was completely bogus.

2. Victoriaaa profile image57

Geesh, people are really sensitive about this whole blog deal. Forgive me, I'm use to blogging therefore I'm still getting adjusted to calling these posts "hubs". As for my forum post, this topic isn't for a hub. I was considering writing a novel and I just wanted to know what people were reading in terms of books, not hubs. Sorry if there was any misunderstanding. All I wanted to know was what kind of books everyone would consider good. Didn't really expect to get a lesson on the difference between hubs and blogs.

4. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I apologize. Have a great day!

5. profile image0

HAHAHA...I feel ya. That's just how Cagsil expresses herself. She writes like she talks. She didn't mean to go schoolteacher on you. (We still love ya, Cagsil.)

The best way to find out what people are reading depends on approach. These Hubpages, I found out, is where the writers & debaters are. 1, you can create a hub polling who reads what. Or 2, pick up old newspapers and see what has been on the Best Seller list for the last 5 years. Go from there. Personally, I read fantasy novels.

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Now, I find your statement completely out of line.

Simply because, I am not a woman. Not a she or a her either.

But, I do find it interesting you said that though. It was truly a learning experience. Thank you. smile

2. Victoriaaa profile image57

Lol yeah, definitely but no harm was done. I just have to get use to stop calling things "blogs". It's a habit that I have to break. But thank you though, Cagsil. And also, thank you for your advice ShadowKing!. It was very helpful smile

6. profile image0

Ooops, my friend told me your name is Raymona Choiniere. He was over at my house last night. I had your profile up, hadn't read it yet. He came in, got on my computer, saw you profile, and asked me "who is this Cagsil chick, you talking too?" I said: "Oh, she's a chick!  I was meaning to find out who was behind the words."  "I guess, Raymona Choi-" he said. "She writes a lot about women issues". (He didn't really look at the subject matter of the articles, just saw all the A-list women photos.)

Sorry, I never thought to double check your gender. I'm the fool.
    I don't know how he got Raymona out of Raymond. Blind-ass fool.

Your welcome, Victoria. At least I know YOU'RE a woman.

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Again, it was a learning experience and I'm grateful. smile

7. profile image0
    lspryorposted 13 years ago

Don't worry about it--geez, some people---write away!  And write about what inspires you.  Write about a story that captivates you and create characters that you enjoy so much you have to write about them.  I did.  I love it.  Who cares.  I write just for the fun of it.  I just published a non-fiction book, but I've been writing fiction novels for myself for years.  Maybe they will be published next.  I don't know, I just enjoy writing.  I guarantee if its a story that captivates you, it will probably captivate others too.  Have fun!  lspryor

Thank you so much for your advice! That's mostly what I was thinking about doing, but I kind of wanted to do something different. I didn't want to blend in with today's authors. But I will definitely take your words into consideration when I sit down to write.

8. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 13 years ago

I like fiction, religious and informative books. Normally i spend my time on reading books as books are the best companions when i am alone smile

9. Diane Inside profile image72
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

I like more romantic type books not the smut like the harlequin books but more like The Notebook kind of books. I also like suspense thriller kind of books, the kind that keep you wondering what will happen, that builds and builds, that makes you want to read the last page, yet you fight the tempatation kind of thing, those are the best.

10. outdoorsguy profile image59
    outdoorsguyposted 13 years ago

lets see what do I read...

history, archeology, Science texts.   

then Fiction, sci fi, fantasy, thrillers, Suspense.  Techno thrillers. and some horror..  though most of whats termed horror this days is just plain stupid. IMO LOL

But when I write its usually fantasy or sci fi with a few horror storys thrown in for good measure.

11. annmeadows profile image59
    annmeadowsposted 13 years ago

I read scholarly journals on a daily basis, but literary fiction is my passion. Most recently, I have enjoyed reading the articles here at HubPages.

12. Jael Turner profile image59
    Jael Turnerposted 13 years ago

A genre is just window dressing. I have written Sci-Fi, Horror, Thriller, Fantasy, Historial, and currently I am working on a Western on these Hubpages entitled, The Legend of Sven Svenson, the Swedish Outlaw. So genre is just the clothing you dress your chaacters in and influences their speech, but one can put oneself into any of these genres and bring life to a book. Pick one and go with it. jael

13. Vintage Kristen profile image59
    Vintage Kristenposted 13 years ago

Right now, I am reading only books that are fun with some humor and a little romance and adventure. I love stories about people's lives and how they live them, and how they got there. I used to read the heavy stuff, but probably because life can already be a little heavy when I sit down with a book, I want to escape and not worry too much.  I am always at a loss of good quality books that can make you laugh out loud without being raunchy or overly racy or just gruesome.   The british chic lit books have been some of my favorites because they are long (I can't stand books that are thin or too short because I know it will be over just when it is getting good.) they have substance, they use humor and the characters are not perfect.  I feel like I can relate more to their kind of writing and I wish we had more writers like this in the States.  I wish you luck as I am trying to get my start too!!

14. mysterylady 89 profile image60
    mysterylady 89posted 13 years ago

I do love mysteries and am particularly fond of Jeffrey Deaver.  Of course, if you could create another Harry Potter series, you would have it made!!

15. chassett profile image59
    chassettposted 13 years ago

Hi, Victoriaaa. I'm a fan of mystery and forensic investigation novels myself, which is probably a side effect of the field I'm in (criminal justice).

Good luck with your writing. Keep us posted!

CHW

16. DeathMcGunz profile image60
    DeathMcGunzposted 13 years ago

I prefer books written in first person, and usually I like it when the book gets deep into their thoughts. I like reading about normal situations, with very odd twists; if that makes any sense.

17. Cari Jean profile image87
    Cari Jeanposted 13 years ago

I like books that are based on true stories. I'm hoping to write a nonfiction book one day. I do have a fiction novel I have written as well. I like nonfiction and fiction where a person is able to overcome their struggles.

18. akirchner profile image91
    akirchnerposted 13 years ago

I love books written in the style such as Jodi Picoult - where she gives people's different perspectives as she writes the story.  It's a magical way to write and I know others use that style as well.  You see things developing from everyone's point of view in snippets.

I like nonfiction such as Half the Sky - politically riveting books although they make me sad for many months after.  As Cari Jean said, books based on true stories.

Unfortunately, I have a weakness for romance novels! Can't help it - started out with Nora Roberts and just love her writing although it is 'predictable' because there is always a happy ending but sometimes you need that in life. 

Diana Gabaldon is a 'novel' writer - literally as well! She combines romance with Scottish history with time travel but wow!

Nick Sparks is another of my favorites, and Luanne Rice, and Kristin Hannah and Sandra Brown...and on and on. 

Bottom line is - write what you feel and hopefully you will be happy with the outcome.  I find it easier to write shorter snips of things just because by the time I get back to where I was trying to write something longer, I've lost my 'voice' or the train of thought I was on! 

Good luck to you!!

19. poetvix profile image54
    poetvixposted 13 years ago

Well, to be honest, over the years my taste have changed but for the last five or so years I have been a die hard devote to the following and seldom go outside these genres unless it is to obtain informaton...
    Fantasy
    Horror
    Sci-Fi
    What I deem "Post apocolyptic Christian fiction" (sp)
    and lastly, fiction books set in pre-history.

I don't know if this helps as I am not the typical reader I don't think but I hope it does.

Good luck on your project.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)