jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What do you mean when you say Nope just tryna get ur lingo

1. littleauthor101 profile image60
    littleauthor101posted 2 years ago

What do you mean when you say

Nope just tryna get ur lingo

whats the meaning of lingo?

2. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 2 years ago

Lingo means language. So if you speak differently than what others are use to hearing they may say something like " I am just trying to understand your lingo"

3. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 2 years ago

Nope is a slang term meaning 'No' most used when asked a question.

Did you go to the store?

Nope.

4. Billie Kelpin profile image86
    Billie Kelpinposted 2 years ago

Hmmm... Fascinating question.  It's very subtle and can go in two directions."Nope" is equivalent to "no". However, interpreting  the subtle meaning depends on analyzing the inflection and the context.  It can be a casual "no" that is used among friends, sometimes in a a humorous situation.
    However, if you are getting a "nope" from someone to whom you've asked a question they don't want to answer, it is, INSTEAD, a curt reply.  It sort of ends the discussion.  The sound of the "p", I think, indicates a finality to the answer. (If my husband says that to me, my feelings are a bit hurt thinking he is closing down."It's all I want to give you.  I don't want to expand on the topic" is then my interpretation.
    It can be sarcastic, but again, it can be an attempt to be humorous.  Listen for the tone, the inflection.  Analyze the situation and watch the body language.  You're very astute to ask this question.  Maybe some one can give you some actual dialog here that would help.  I'll listen this week to my conversations and see if that word comes up and I'll get back to you with specific situations smile   
    "

working