jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)

Can you give a few pointers to a 'newish' writer?

1. MarieLB profile image83
    MarieLBposted 21 months ago

Can you give a few pointers to a 'newish' writer?

Do you have any Do's and Don't's?

I will start with - "Never, ever use exclamation points."  Use words not punctuation to display the mood.

2. Phowltha Seltun profile image67
    Phowltha Seltunposted 21 months ago

A poem is an inspiration feeling that came as a mystery in your mind .. first of all capture your deepest feeling might be sorrows pain or describing about love or natures...  take a paper and a pen to note it down ( to write a good poem ) because you might forget it..we need not the rhyming but rhyming reflects the beautification. Remember use concrete words rather than abstract words...

MarieLBposted 21 months agoin reply to this

I do so admire those who can write poetry.  It is such an 'elegant' style.  I doubt that it is something 'to learn'.  Like you, I think it is something that just happens in your brain.  Thank you for sharing and encouraging others Phowlthat Seltun.

3. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 21 months ago

A suggestion is to always let your work incubate at least a day. In other words write it, reread it, make minor changes, and then walk away from it for a day. Then go back and see if it delivers the message of your intent.

Next, if necessary edit the message. Now, edit the English usage and grammar. Edit again for message because English usage may change the message at times. Set it aside once more. Read again from the audience perspective. Finally, submit or publish.

Thank you Tim Mitchell for the wise words. I will keep that in mind for my next article.  I tend to be like the kid with a new toy. . .can't wait to show it off.  I know you're right so I shall follow your advice with my next task.

2. tsmog profile image83
      tsmogposted 21 months agoin reply to this

I do not profess to be an expert writer/journalist. I am learning and perhaps slowly. :-) It does not come to me naturally like math does or mechanics. A trick I like to do is I outline my articles after written. It should contain the message IMO

4. randslam profile image85
    randslamposted 21 months ago

absolutely, punctuation is almost non-exis10t.
    Period here, comma there
    otherwise,
    it's about structure, meaning--hidden meaning(s)--the more double,
    triple, quadruple ententes--the better

Throw in a code using numb3rs.
    This works 2.
    B the 1...2 crack the cod3.

Poetr3e...should b3 fun
    Don't think 2 hard--or it won't get done.
    Rhyming is really pass3, however,
    sometimes it's okay.

Hope I've helped you to find your footing.
    Now get going and write, write, write--cuz it can be off-putting.
    Writer's block. sad

Wow! Rand Zacharias, that is just fantastic imagery for a fertile imagination.  How very clever! thanks for sharing with us.  I truly enjoyed this piece.

2. randslam profile image85
      randslamposted 21 months agoin reply to this

Thanks, MarieLB...sometimes one just channels and things fall into place...Serendipity...has been a life lesson for me--it did fall into place to remonstrate the lesson in a poem. It was quite fun to "slam" it out...so to speak. smile

5. peter.matthews profile image76
    peter.matthewsposted 21 months ago

I tend to write the poem first, as most of my poems just come to me rather than think too much about what to write. I then have a break and keep going back to it to spell check. Once I am happy with the end result it is there I think where punctuation so commas etc go. Just go with your heart when it comes to writing, everything else follows

Hi Peter W Matthews, Your response and the others really make me glad I asked this question.  it is so enlightening, and informative to see how you 'build' your project.  No wonder I admire poets.  There is so much more than meets the eye. Thanks.

6. tamarawilhite profile image93
    tamarawilhiteposted 21 months ago

Find the niches you write well and can be compensated for writing, and focus there.

Wise advice Tamara Wilhite, but would a newish writer know how to find a niche that is suitable to him/her?  Still it is a start on what one needs to do, so thank you for sharing.

7. yecall profile image69
    yecallposted 21 months ago

If you are going to be an online writer, then I think learning SEO (search engine optimization) is crucially important.  It basically consists of using certain words that the search engines catch.  If you don't use any of these special words (on your topic) then your articles could be entirely ignored.  To make it all even more complex, if you overuse these words, the consequences are damning as well and your article is considered "keyword stuffed," and will also be ignored.  So, I think it is important to learn the fine art of search engine optimization.

You are so right yecall, and it would really be useful for all of us newish writers to take that advice to heart.  It took me too long to cotton on to that concept and it takes time to refine it.  Thank you so much for sharing.

Closed to reply

working