What is the biggest challenge you face as a writer?

Jump to Last Post 1-49 of 49 discussions (70 posts)
  1. vocalcoach profile image94
    vocalcoachposted 9 years ago

I'd love to know your answer to this question. And I'm not speaking of answers such as, "Finding more time to write."  Let me help you out by listing a few of my own challenges.  You can select one of these or add your own.  Thanks for sharing.  - smile

A.  Finding a great title.
    B.  Coming up with original ideas for a hub.
    C.  Grammar, punctuation and spelling.
    D.  Using key words.
    E.  Finding my niche.
    F.  Revising/editing my material.
    G   Creating a unique style.
    H.  Writing a stellar hub.

1. peachpurple profile image81
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

i love to write but never excess 1000 words for green topics. If I write recipes, always, end up 1000 words. How do I know what are the keywords that attract people to my hubs? My traffic and huscore are low, that is the biggest challenge I face everyday. 53-66 average

vocalcoachposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. colorfulone profile image78
          colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for giving that link. That is helpful!

2. ChitrangadaSharan profile image92
      ChitrangadaSharanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Finding the right key words, which attract more traffic!

3. lisavanvorst profile image64
      lisavanvorstposted 9 years agoin reply to this

For me it is finding the quiet time to write. I am so busy both at work and home and cannot write with televisions going, phones ringing etc. Sometimes things come to me in my sleep, but only bits and pieces. I really need solitude to do my writing. This is not always easy.

4. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

A,D and E, which are SEO-related. SEO's been my greatest challenge, so I work hard at it; to me, without knowing how to get traffic, there's no point in writing online. Also, G. I think it's important to find your "voice". It makes it easier for the reader to read your work.

5. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sanity.

smile

6. murrayslikeitnow profile image60
      murrayslikeitnowposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I would say come up with the first word to say or the title or something to talk about

7. Emmaback profile image61
      Emmabackposted 9 years agoin reply to this

A - finding a great title...

You and me both!  My creative juices dry up when it comes to the title.

8. Say Yes To Life profile image78
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

For me, it's choosing keywords and promotion.  Also, writing a brief bio and introduction!

Thank you.  Keywords are vital when it comes to getting your hub read.  If you type "about keywords" in your browser you will find plenty of information on how to use them.

1. Say Yes To Life profile image78
          Say Yes To Lifeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the tip!

9. neosurk profile image88
      neosurkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Netflix

Hee, hee.  Try using a little self-control.  smile

2. Cardisa profile image89
    Cardisaposted 9 years ago

My biggest challenges as a writer has nothing to do with writing articles but what i really love, fiction. These challenges include:

(1) Completing a story I started
    (2) Focusing on my own work instead of other things around me
    (3) Finding the courage to just finish my novel(s) and have it/them published

3. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image61
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 9 years ago

Gaining good traffic and earning some decent money are really a challenge here.  We need to improve our quality rather than quantity.  I am trying hard to diversify my topics, polish my writing skill and provide more information to the readers.  Now all my 119 articles are featured, but may at any time lose that 'virginity'.  So I need to keep a strict tab on my article and modify occasionally.  SEO is another field, where I do bad and hence I need to learn a lot about it. I also love to maintain my Author score between a range of 86-90.  My Commenter Level has dropped from VI  to V. I wish to make it VII soon.  My other concern is gaining a decent followership  and the immediate goal is 300. I hope I can achieve it all within six months time.l

4. aesta1 profile image92
    aesta1posted 9 years ago

Being consistent in my effort to keep writing. I sometimes get lazy weeks. I just need to discipline myself.

5. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

None of the above. My problems are:

1. Online writing savvy (don't know enough to really understand the industry)
    2. Discipline and Focus (not realizing what doing this really entails; it's a full-time endeavor to do it right)

6. tillsontitan profile image84
    tillsontitanposted 9 years ago

Keeping my writing fresh and interesting.  I know what's interesting to me might not be to others so it's a challenge to find a universal appeal and still make it worth reading.

7. cfin profile image65
    cfinposted 9 years ago

Lack of Time to write

and

The abundance of bad writers out there who ruin sites like this with spam.

and

The inability to make writing more than a hobby.

8. sara0129 profile image67
    sara0129posted 9 years ago

B, G, and H are my challenges

9. janderson99 profile image54
    janderson99posted 9 years ago

Traffic, Traffic, Traffic - Being seen and noticed, hopefully appreciated.

10. clivewilliams profile image72
    clivewilliamsposted 9 years ago

I. Traffic
    J. Money

You love when you get lost of traffic, that means your work is being read. You love to get paid for the hard work you put out. Nether flows my way.:-(

11. jjheathcoat profile image76
    jjheathcoatposted 9 years ago

Not being too hard on myself. I've always been overly self-judgmental. I can't count how many times I've deleted entire novels, blogs, etc because I get bit by the "not good enough" bug. I've felt it on some Hubs too, but haven't gone that far yet. I'm very thankful that all of my Hubs have reached "featured" status. It's a kind reassurance that my doubts are mostly in my head.

12. ijdmtoy profile image40
    ijdmtoyposted 9 years ago

Sometimes it's hard to complete a work. There's just so many ideas buzzing around and inspiration everywhere.

13. Chriswillman90 profile image91
    Chriswillman90posted 9 years ago

For me it's those dreaded writer's blocks when there's nothing there. Sometimes I have an idea and I start writing about it but then I read it and it doesn't sound right. I've never written a novel but kudos to those authors who are able to push through their creative struggles and persevere. I think writing a novel is one of the most mentally toughest jobs in the world.

14. Sed-me profile image80
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

Coming to the point where I imagine nothing will ever come of my efforts and I stop. I think like many, writing is not the problem, it's 'what am I going to do with this when Im done, and will anyone be interested?'

15. Niko Linni profile image79
    Niko Linniposted 9 years ago

Letting go of the thought that I'm a drop in the bucket. It's a reality yes, but sometimes I get discouraged when I think too much on that, as the fear of never getting any real attention or traffic tends to set in not long after encountering those thoughts. Also the fear of thinking I'm not "Unique enough", especially after how sites hammer it in that being different and unique with how you say and present things is a must.

16. profile image57
    going2changeposted 9 years ago

Options A and B are surely the greatest challenges I face every time I write, whether it is my hub or any other piece of writing I do.

17. RanaKm profile image44
    RanaKmposted 9 years ago

One word: Traffic.... Haha :p

Traffic is the big one!  The learning center has good suggestions on this.

18. profile image0
    ShirleyJCJohnsonposted 9 years ago

My biggest challenge is my feeling of inadequacy.  "Is what I write worth someone else' time?"  "Is what I write going to be useful for someone else?"  Etc., etc., etc.

19. Lee Hansen profile image77
    Lee Hansenposted 9 years ago

My biggest challenge is editing - I always write too much, so I need to chop it down without losing content and quality.

20. Emese Fromm profile image88
    Emese Frommposted 9 years ago

My biggest challenge is finishing an article (or anything else I write). I can't seem to stop once I start and have trouble finding the right place to stop. Another one is run-on sentences.  For online writing and specifically hub pages I still need to learn about SEO and other issues related to traffic.

21. profile image49
    vishal17saniyarposted 9 years ago

collective writing is one of the challenge i have faced..

22. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 9 years ago

Starting and ending.....big_smile

Ha Ha!

23. pulse22 profile image67
    pulse22posted 9 years ago

Mind Block. I know what to write but I cannot write. My mind just remains blocked with a cloud of ideas.

24. Dana Tate profile image82
    Dana Tateposted 9 years ago

Maintaining the inspiration to write. Also keywords to get noticed by google more.

25. profile image57
    going2changeposted 9 years ago

ShirelyJCJohnson and Lee Hansen, you got me there..They are the most common challenges I believe. And RanaKm big_smile that's the most important part for sure.

26. conradofontanilla profile image66
    conradofontanillaposted 9 years ago

The challenge is how to make my message easy to understand, presentable and acceptable.

27. Hicks Days profile image57
    Hicks Daysposted 9 years ago

for me, i lack on motivation to write. I mean, i guess i'm blessed with a little flexible mind. Able to think a scene as quick as 123. My main problem is, once i tried to write it down, my mind will suddenly go numb and will shift into some things that eventually will steal all my concentration on what i am writing to. I guess i am still a rookie in writing ;p

28. SheneishaDanielle profile image59
    SheneishaDanielleposted 9 years ago

For me is getting my writing at there for people to see. when I  feel like my writing isn't good enough i become disheartened.It gets harder for me to get people to read my work

29. murrayslikeitnow profile image60
    murrayslikeitnowposted 9 years ago

Yeah some good deals going on here hope everybody out there having fun going to go do a lot of answers are coming forth twice to question everything went hope to see you so have a great day

30. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 9 years ago

I find online writing a distinct genre and I am constantly challenged by many of the points you list. There are several inner battles going on when I try to compose a hub. Yes, I want it to be successful and garner some views but to do that I must wrestle with the notion of SEO, page competition and strange concepts such as no follow links!!
    There's a whole new language to learn which is both fascinating and frustrating but if you push me I'd say the biggest challenge is to avoid lethal compromise - a sort of style versus substance issue.

31. cam8510 profile image93
    cam8510posted 9 years ago

I suppose finding my niche.  My index of hubs probably makes that point.  But it's more than that.  Who am I as a writer?   What are my goals.  I love writing short fiction,  but those stories won't make me any money.   Is money what I want out of my writing?   These are the questions I ask myself.   

Oh, and one more thing.   My titles suck.

32. lbrummer profile image95
    lbrummerposted 9 years ago

I think my biggest concern is knowing when, and if, I should publish a new hub or edit an old one.  I know that we aren't supposed to be concerned about our Hubber score, but I just did considerable editing on a couple of my top articles, and my score went down to 89.  Knowing that 85 is the magic number makes me worry that the more I edit, the faster my score will descend. And I don't want to get below the 85 number.  Does anyone know how many articles we can safely edit in one day?  I have a couple of articles ready to publish, but I afraid to do it now.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Why is 85 a magic number?   Unless you are writing to promote other sites, it really doesn't matter to you.   All that '85' does is make links IN your Hubs "no follow".  If you were trying to give those sites backlinks, then that's a problem.  If you weren't, then it doesn't affect you.

1. lbrummer profile image95
        lbrummerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Marisa, for answering my concerns.  I guess I'll just go back to completely ignoring the hub and hubber scores and just edit what needs editing and publishing new hubs. I thought I read some time ago about how many edits we could do a day, but I can't find that information back.  Since I have a lot of hubs that I'd like to change the size of the first photo, and then make any other edits necessary on that hub, I'm wondering if I can only do a couple of them a day.  If that is true, my editing will take about a year to just change the first photos.   I'd appreciate your thoughts.

33. MPG Narratives profile image61
    MPG Narrativesposted 9 years ago

Sorting out which are my best ideas. My brain seems to have an endless stream of story and writing ideas but I don't have time to write all of them. My problem is I enjoy the process of writing more than any other part. All I want to do is write and the other stuff - SEO, keywords, photos, formatting - it all just gets in the way of writing. Hubpages does help with a lot of the technical stuff I'm not good at and that is one of the main reasons I write on this site, I just wish I could work out what people want to read. I guess that's the SEO and keyword part isn't it?

1. Organised Kaos profile image87
      Organised Kaosposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Z - Becoming obsessed with my work and editing and re-editing and then doing it again. Finding a typo and having to now edit again.

Obsessive much! Gahhh

34. TolovajWordsmith profile image89
    TolovajWordsmithposted 9 years ago

Persistence:)

35. profile image53
    Acacia56posted 9 years ago

Thanks for the sharing, But its take long time to write. because we have to think .. its very time consuming...

36. Katelyn Weel profile image92
    Katelyn Weelposted 9 years ago

I find it very difficult to find topics to write about that I am genuinely interested in, that would be interesting to many people, AND that have not already been beaten to death by many other writers out there. These days it seems like everything has been thoroughly covered by someone else.. it's hard not to be discouraged by that.

37. Deepika tripathi profile image41
    Deepika tripathiposted 9 years ago

Finding new key words and fresh content.

38. Claire Anderson profile image60
    Claire Andersonposted 9 years ago

Well I love writing and believe that writing is my strength. So, No, I don't find anything difficult while writing. But obviously it comes down to your train of thoughts at a certain point in time. Sometimes, your ideas flow is spectacular and sometimes its' so disrupted that you say to yourself, "I can't do this anymore". But obviously when sit down again with a fresher mind, your flow of thoughts gets back on track.

39. Sunayani12 profile image61
    Sunayani12posted 9 years ago

Mental blocks-- they happen even while writing blogs.. !

40. wordswithlove profile image65
    wordswithloveposted 9 years ago

I think my biggest challenge sometimes is writing not so much what I really want to or am driven to, but forcing myself to think of the marketability of my writing. It tends to hold me back from expressing myself truly and that can be an obstacle to my creativity.

41. tlcs profile image63
    tlcsposted 9 years ago

Starting a hub and not finishing it the same day, I find that I go to bed in the evening and can't stop thinking about what I would like to include and when I wake up in the morning (after hours of pondering) I have completely forgotten what I wanted to include!

42. lisavanvorst profile image64
    lisavanvorstposted 9 years ago

Writers block. Lately I just have not been into writing, maybe it is because I am so busy. Next week I am on vacation from work and will plan to write some new hubs.

43. profile image0
    Laurie Viposted 9 years ago

For me, it's finding things to write about. I try to write one a week, but my 12 hour work schedule makes it difficult. The weather has been so bad this winter that I haven't been able to do some of the hubs that I have planned so coming up with something else is challenging.

44. chika-nicholas profile image66
    chika-nicholasposted 9 years ago

Financial independence via my talent would be one of them.
    I do look forward to the era that writers get paid like movie actors and musicians.

1. Enelle Lamb profile image73
      Enelle Lambposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sign me up for that!

45. ankush0809 profile image59
    ankush0809posted 8 years ago

B : finding the unique content. but i truly enjoy after getting smile

46. Eldon Arsenaux profile image61
    Eldon Arsenauxposted 8 years ago

Honesty in voice.

47. Sherry Hewins profile image91
    Sherry Hewinsposted 8 years ago

For me, it's finding an audience that recognizes my brilliance. After three years here, you'd think they'd be beating a path to my door.

48. Enelle Lamb profile image73
    Enelle Lambposted 8 years ago

Finding evergreen topics has to be my hardest problem. I gave up on keywords - it was confusing and time eating!

49. passionatelearnr profile image85
    passionatelearnrposted 8 years ago

keyword searching.finding topics that are highly searched but are less competitive.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)