Is a Self-Published Living Actually a Living?

1. Kyle Atwood profile image88
    Kyle Atwoodposted 17 months ago

Is a Self-Published Living Actually a Living?

I am a writer, this I know. But I'm also a maintenance worker, this I also know. I want my writing to become my day job, however, and make a livable source of income for myself instead of it being a ten-thousand dollar investment (which I will still do, even if I can't quit my day job). I don't have dreams of being the next J. K. Rowling or E. L. James. But I also don't want to have me and my family out on the street because I spent all of our cheddar on marketing a book nobody wants. So I ask, can one live off of strictly writing when they are self-published? Any answer will be of great help.

2. India-Nepal profile image76
    India-Nepalposted 17 months ago

Absolutely YES.

I've been a new age blogger for 8 years earning a great living through my self published books. Now I no longer have that business because I uncovered the new age deception.

Anyway - I know it can be totally done. But you MUST publish some of the books only on your website, because that's how you'll get most money. If you only publish through amazon, I found them to be very stingy and paying very little through the commission.

But of course people will only buy from you if they know that you know know what you're talking about, and if you know some unique information - or are highly knowledgeable about your subject and can write in an engaging and personal (unique) way.

3. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 17 months ago

You are competing with people in lower cost locations (India, China). You're competing with artificial intelligences that can rewrite articles and post them on dozens of sites. You're competing with everyone else who wants to be heard and search engines giving priority to higher "authority" domains.
    Your best way to make a living writing is either find a niche that no one else is writing about but do want to read or get paid by others to write their content regardless of niche and do it better than AIs like Article Forge.