jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Fictional or non-fictional preference? What does this say about you?

1. Connor M Newman profile image76
    Connor M Newmanposted 9 months ago

Fictional or non-fictional preference? What does this say about you?

Books, movies, etc. Does fiction or non-fiction appeal to you? I have read non-fiction since I was a kid. I am an avid reader,and I come from a family of avid readers...mostly fantasy, adventure and spy novels. The last book I read was guide to Antique Furniture restoration...is this a personality thing? The way my brain is wired? Just curious...I have a lot of time, riding around the farm on tractors, to think about these things.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13595096_f260.jpg

2. Jeremy Gill profile image96
    Jeremy Gillposted 9 months ago

Hi Connor. While I can enjoy non-fiction, I've always found fiction more engrossing. It allows more room for freedom and creativity on the author's part, while non-fiction is constrained by reality. In a way, non-fiction authors are more transcribers than creators, though of course their writing style will heavily influence their work.

Your preferences reveal your interests. I've always loved exploring the human psyche, and love a good mystery or horror novel. History buffs often favor non-fiction or war stories, while romantics can always read a good love story.

1. Connor M Newman profile image76
      Connor M Newmanposted 9 months agoin reply to this

Allow me to add a layer to that, I have always enjoyed working with my hands. The non-fiction that I read allows me to be creative in a physical way (I enjoy carpentry, guitar, etc.)I've enjoyed your comments and I'm curious of your thoughts on this.

3. nochance profile image92
    nochanceposted 9 months ago

I think it depends on the quality of writing. I'm obsessed with fiction (fantasy and sci-fi specifically). But I've read some fascinating non-fiction that I can't put down and I've read fiction so terrible I don't know how it even got published.

So it all depends on how it's put together. Or in terms of visual media it depends on how it's presented.

working