jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do you think the Chronicles of Narnia are too difficult a read for a seven-year-

1. Lady Wordsmith profile image82
    Lady Wordsmithposted 7 years ago

Do you think the Chronicles of Narnia are too difficult a read for a seven-year-old boy?

2. Anaya M. Baker profile image84
    Anaya M. Bakerposted 7 years ago

I think it depends on the reading level of the child. If he is already reading chapter books, then they should be okay. Otherwise, he might do better having the stories read to him by an adult. When I turned seven, my mom read longer books to me, and I was still on shorter picture books in my own reading. Over the course of the year my reading level went up dramatically, and by the end of second grade I was sneaking reading the Narnia books under my desk during class. There was another boy doing the same (we would share the books). Fond memories...loved the series! I do think they might be better for closer to eight, so again, depends on reading level and whether he's just seven or almost 8.

3. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 7 years ago

The series wasn't to difficult for my kids at that age, although, like me, they were all pre-school readers and writers.  I can't tell from when I was teaching that age because I was mainly concerned with special needs kids.

4. workingmomwm profile image84
    workingmomwmposted 7 years ago

I read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe when I was about that age. I tried to read the others in the series, but they just weren't that interesting to me. I think the only reason I was interested in that one was because I had seen an animated movie based on the book first!

I agree that it really depends on the child. If the child is interested in reading it, I say let him go for it. There's really nothing to lose, and if you keep him from it, telling him it's "too difficult" for him, you could discourage him from wanting to read anything.

5. Karonher profile image73
    Karonherposted 7 years ago

I was about that age when I read them, and I enjoyed them.

6. CarolineChicago profile image82
    CarolineChicagoposted 7 years ago

It depends on his reading level. You could read it with him. You could read most of it out loud to him--and he could read a few paragraphs here and there. See how it goes. This method would be a good way to discuss what you've read together, as there are so many literary layers to the book. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is probably the only one for that age group. The others are slower going--mainly because the action and story is a bit slower going.

Closed to reply

working