I should have started this at the beginning of book 1, not the end of book 2, but here are my notes for things for me to look for. I'm sharing it as it might be helpful to other authors. I'll update it if I remember more.
Extra words to be removed:
3. ‘of them’
Mistakes made with word spellings, to be checked with ctrl-f
1. ‘awhile’ vs. ‘a while’ vs. ‘for a while’ - Rule: ‘awhile’ has a silent ‘for’ in front of it.
Homonyms and other similar words.
‘their’ ‘there’ ‘they’re’
‘will’ ‘we’ll’ ‘well’
‘through’ ‘throughout’ ‘thought’
1. Use of ‘she’ and ‘he’ multiple times in a sentence. One can usually be removed.
Example: “She doesn’t even trust Sir Danth and she doesn’t like me either.”
Remove the second ‘she’: “She doesn’t even trust Sir Danth and doesn’t like me either.” *crappy sentence either way, should re-write*
2. Use of ‘that’, ‘which’ or ‘who’.
3. Use of words that make sentences vague, such as “He appeared to be tall. He’s either tall or not, be definite. ‘appear’, ‘seem’, ‘sort of’, ‘kind of’, ‘possibly’, ‘rather’ are all vague uses.
4. I forgot what I was going to put here. I know it was important.
5. Options for said: told, stated, claimed, asked, answered, replied, responded, informed, advised, enlightened, pouted
6. Find missing words! Focus on the actual words and see the invisible misses.
Example: “She looked through the treasure chest see if the necklace was there.”
In that sentence, the word “to” is missing between “chest” and “see”. It’s very subtle and the mind fills in the word it expects to see.
7. Make sure things don't disappear or magically reappear. In one section, I had a character draw a bow and arrow . . . it was the only mention of it throughout the entire book. *facepalm* No mention was ever made of where she got it or why she didn’t use it in a later battle.
8. Remove duplicate statements. Did I just say the moon was half full in the last sentence too? the last paragraph? the last chapter?
9. Catch those missing quotations. Usually at the end of a paragraph, but they sneak up elsewhere.
10. Did I miss an opportunity to tell the reader how something looks/sounds/smells/feels/tastes? Color in the environment.
by NiaG6 years ago
What word are you constantly editing out of your works?I'm infamous for putting the word "just" in just about every other sentence. I just can't seem to help myself. Ha!
by Real Life Stories5 years ago
Do you know why some hubs are missing when I am editing my profile?On my new profile, when selecting my 5 hubs for showcase - it is missing the ones which I want to showcase. Anybody have any clues? Thank...
by BerBerloves17 years ago
You have said my hub needs revision. What suggestions do you have?
by Lisa5 years ago
Do you have a problem with beginning a sentence with "and" or "but"?I've found that it's become acceptable to start sentences with "and" or "but" and if I'm not mistaken, that...
by DaniellaWood6 years ago
Can you form a sentence involving these five words?...Ok, here's the challenge: you have to form one correctly structured sentence which involves the following five words: Christmas, Cockadoodledoo, Spot, Lollipop,...
by vinividivici7 years ago
"Can you describe your life in six words?
Copyright © 2018 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.