jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

Good mafia books?

1. WorldCup~2010 profile image60
    WorldCup~2010posted 6 years ago

I just starting getting into a new genre of books- crime. I'v been mainly reading mafia books for the past month or so and i'v gone through some good ones like Underboss and Confessions of a Mafia Boss. I'd really like to get started on another one but I cant find out another book at start on. Please leave some suggestions and recommendations on what new mafia/crime book I could read! Thanks!

1. couturepopcafe profile image59
      couturepopcafeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure you've seen the Godfather movies but Mario Puzo also wrote The Sicilian and Omerta as part of that trilogy.   I haven't read The Sicilian but Omerta was very good.

Another suggestion, although they're not mafia, is the Bourne series.  The three books are so different and so much better than the two movies.  Great reading and so much more in depth.  Government crime is pretty good reading.

1. WorldCup~2010 profile image60
        WorldCup~2010posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yeah I have seen the Godfather.... several times haha and is the Bourne series based off of the movies? Because I'v seen the Bourne movies but I havent picked up the book yet.... good suggestions! thanks!

Actually, the movies came from the books.  Get ready to read about 2700 pages.

Also, Omerta is more of a pre-Godfather setting.  Very subtle and realistic.

2. Christopher Floyd profile image61
      Christopher Floydposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Read Puzo's The Godfather if you haven't already. I didn't personally care for Omerta, and the Sicilian is actually about a Sicilian resistance fighter. Omerta is of course mafia fiction, but it doesn't have the same force that the Godfather did, and none of the characters are the same.
      I have a couple of hubs up about the creation of the mafia and a profile of Vito Corleone that you might find interesting.
      If you can find a copy, Carlito's Way and After Hours by Edwin Torres are supposed to be good. There is a "sequel" called Carlito's Way; Rise to Power that is a lot easier to find.
      You might try The Little Sleep by Paul Tremblay. It's more of a detective story, but it is incredible.

2. profile image67
    logic,commonsenseposted 6 years ago

Look under unions!

Now that is hysterical.

3. Mighty Mom profile image87
    Mighty Momposted 6 years ago

... or New Jersey "waste management" companies smile

Hey, ya talkin' about my peeps.  I got two brottas and an uncle that'll break ya kneecaps for ya.

4. misstoughcookie97 profile image70
    misstoughcookie97posted 4 years ago

I'll uggest the Godfather aswell. However, if you want something that's not your 'typical' Italian mafia books, Black Diamond by John F Dobbyn is a great book about the Irish mafia in Boston.

working