What is it that prompts you to write a particular article or story?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Terri Meredith profile image68
    Terri Meredithposted 12 years ago

I always wrote for creativity alone.  Then I came to HP and realized I rarely write for that reason, anymore.  It seems something will grab my attention, either because of reading another writer's piece, or because of a topic I may have overheard in, say, a restaurant.  I find myself either examining my own views or educating myself on the topic and then....BOOM..I've got to get it written down.  How about you?

1. profile image0
      Muldanianmanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is the same for me.  Reading so much online inspires me to research a wide variety of subjects.  This often helps me to question my views on many things.  It is not unusual for me to have certain views on a subject, only to have them completely overturned by things that I have read.  This then inspires me to write something.

2. Spirit Whisperer profile image73
      Spirit Whispererposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What do you mean by saying you don't write for creativity alone? Can you elaborate please?

Terri Meredithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just that...it's not only for the sake of using writing as a creative outlet anymore.  I started writing at the age of 8.  I filled notebook after notebook with stories that I read to my peers.  As I got older, high school teachers encouraged me to continue writing creatively, sending me to special writing events sponsored around the community.

I chose to get married and raise a family rather than pursue writing as a career.  I continued to write stories for my own pleasure.  It was an outlet for me.  These days, I find myself more interested in current events and using my writing in my intellectual pursuits.  I find myself with a message, a thought, an idea I'd like to share, rather than a story.  So creativity isn't my only reason for writing.

1. Spirit Whisperer profile image73
          Spirit Whispererposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Though you say you have stopped writing as a creative outlet I see lots of creativity being expressed in what you have written. How could you describe what you say about the Tarot as not being very creative and informative at the same time? If your intention was to get people to read your hubs then you have succeeded with that opening line. I will have to use it sometime lol (btw Cagsil taught me how to make that laughing face recently.) I will defintely be reading your hubs over the coming week and I will be sure to point out your creative genius in the comments lol

Terri Meredithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I didn't say I've stopped.  I said it's not the only reason.  Any kind of writing contains the writer's voice which is their own creation.  And thank you for taking the time to read my hubs.  I have such a busy schedule, I often have to make an effort to find time to write all that is swirling around inside my head.  I often find myself with so many ideas for writing, that I have to choose the most urgent and push the others aside for when I get another chunk of time.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

An extremely well planned creative train of thought from one word. wink

3. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 12 years ago

It depends on what the article or story is.

I've written some articles in response to news stories, others in response to Hubs I've read, and still others as a response to heated forum discussions I was involved in.  My stories are usually a 'what if' situation in my head (oh, um...I meant um, daydreams...big_smile...ahem!) but the few I've actually written were prompted through various means.

My life story:  Obvious.

The story I wrote for my creative writing class: A combination of a desire to answer questions regarding my great-aunt and the mysterious existence of the 104 year old heiress who recently passed away.  (I first heard about her a month before the class began)

A screenplay:  Prompted  by a daydream after my daughter threatened to not allow me to see her children - should she ever have any.  (she can be very emotional and melodramatic!!)

(so far that's it.  but quite a few to be working on at the same time!!)

4. freecampingaussie profile image62
    freecampingaussieposted 12 years ago

I come up with ideas at unusual times like when I was biking to the pool
    & swallowed a fly ! while in the water etc.
    Yesterday I was in the milk aisle in the supermarket & came up with another idea & had my camera with me so got some photos while there .As we travel I take a lot of photos for future hubs.
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5103680_f248.jpg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)